Here is a post found at Tom’s Hardware Forum. As you can see from the title, the user has finished Ghost, but suddenly realized that the Norton Ghost has erased the wrong drive. That is to say, all his useful data saved on that drive are now lost. Hence, he would like to find a way to recover Ghost files.
Though Norton recovery seems very difficult to some users, it is actually not an impossible task. Here in this article, our main purpose is to show you what Norton Ghost is, how it works and how you can recover Ghosted hard drive after finding it has been performed to the wrong place on hard drive, with the help of a powerful tool.
Though Ghost helps us a lot in backing up and restoring partition/hard disk, it also brings some troublesome problems.
After Ghost, all the data previously saved on the target drive that is to receive the Ghost image file will be removed completely. That is to say, when the process is over, nothing is left.
What’s more, not only the data, but also the original file system and root directory structure will be destroyed if the destination is a hard disk, not a partition.
Besides, if any problems (wrong operations or choosing the wrong direction) happened during Ghost process, the process will certainly fail. And it will lead to a series of problems:
How to recover data when system crashes.
Reading here, you must be aware of the necessity of Ghost image recovery software. Therefore, I will now focus on showing you how to recover Ghost files all by yourself.
The first thing I want to say is how to acquire hard drive recovery service after wrong Ghost.
In fact, there are mainly three approaches:
In my point of view, the last one is the easiest and safest way to recover data from hard drive without privacy leakage. Yet, the problem lies in which is the suitable software for Norton data recovery.
To help you with that, I’d like to introduce MiniTool Power Data Recovery – a powerful tool which provides quality hard drive recovery service and removable disk recovery service.
If Ghost has erased the wrong drive, you should read the following tutorial to know an easy way to regain files from the target hard drive.
Now, I’m going to show you the steps to recover data from Ghosted hard drive.
1. Get the Trail Edition of software: check out whether it can help you find the data you need. Now, install the software to anyplace you want it to be (except for the drive in which lost data are included) and run it right after installation.
2. Choose the target hard drive: when running the software, you should put cursor onto the specific option in the left pane to define the correct drive.
3. Scan the target drive: after selecting the certain drive, you should press “Scan” button in the lower right corner to start.
4. Recover the needed files from the scan result: wait for the scan patiently since it may last for a relatively long time (that depends on the usage status of selected drive). When the scan finishes, you’ll need to look through the found files and pick out your needed ones. Then, click on “Save” button and set a storage path for the files waiting to be recovered.
Click to tweet
Maybe you have heard of Ghost and its main functions. But, most of the common users don’t know what is exactly going on.
Now, let’s take a closer look at the backup and restore of Ghost. After reading the following content, you’ll have a clear understanding of why Ghost image recovery is necessary and why Norton recovery tool is needed.
Share in common: they both have the ability to backup and restore data.
A lot of users will choose to rely on Ghost backup restore when encountering following problems:
OS running slow: this problem is often caused by the frequent installation and uninstallation of software or the system disorder resulted from mistaken deletion of important files.
OS crashes: this problem always happens out of sudden due to many reasons, such as wrong operations and virus attacks. When OS is really crashed and users have no way to fix it, they’ll unwillingly choose to restore from backup.
How to recover data from crashed OS?
Virus infection: computer getting attacked by virus is a very common problem. However, in some cases, the virus can be cleared easily while in other situations where the virus can hardly be killed, users will choose to restore from OS backup or reinstall the OS.
How to recover data after virus attack?
Choose backup restore over defragment: sometimes, if you haven’t done defragment for a very long time, but don’t want to spend half an hour or longer time to do that, you can also turn to backup restore, which works way better than simple defragment.
Deletion of important files: if users are not careful enough when using computer, they tend to delete files responsible for OS booting/running or important programs. After that, some of them may choose to recover deleted files from disk image.
Norton Ghost, generally known as Ghost, is actually a program used widely to copy, backup and restore the entire hard disk/a single partition completely and quickly. The full name of Ghost is General Hardware-Oriented System Transfer.
After finishing the installation of OS (operating system) and a variety of drivers, you’ll often choose to further assemble some commonly used software, such as antivirus software, media player and Microsoft Office, to the drive where the operating system is installed. Then, you’ll be busy installing various upgrade patches needed by the OS and software. The last step is often optimizing the system.
When this series of operations are completed, you can finally start cloning & making backup for system disk under DOS. Please remember that the size of backup disk can’t be smaller than that of the system disk.
There’re two kinds of Ghost depending on the operating system: Norton Ghost for Dos and Norton Ghost for Windows. Now, I’ll introduce them briefly.
Norton Ghost for Dos: Apart from the famous hard disk partition backup and restore feature, Ghost can also achieve the formatting of disk to get partitions in a variety of formats: FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, OS2, etc. As you know, Microsoft Windows operating systems are well-known and chosen by the vast majority of computer users. However, in order to avoid the time-consuming OS installation process or the troublesome drivers and applications re-installation process after OS re-installation, users tend to rely on Ghost for a fast and clean backup & restore.
Therefore, in a narrow sense, Ghost is considered as the backup files which can be used to recover system quickly. Ghost supports the direct backup of partition/hard disk into a file with the extension of “.gho” (It is also called image file by Symantec. Thus, lots of posts on the internet are asking how to recover Ghost image file); in the meantime, it also supports backing up directly to another partition/hard disk.
Norton Ghost for Windows: as you know, though Ghost 2003 can run under Windows environment, its core work – backup and recovery – should still be done under DOS. So Ghost 2003 can’t be considered as a Windows cloning tool in the real sense. Yet, the more convenient Ghost 8.5 and later versions have been introduced successively after Symantec acquisition of PowerQuest in 2003. Now, the newest version of Ghost is Ghost 15.0 and the recent Windows Ghost versions have completely abandoned the original kernel based on DOS environment.
The hot image technology allows users to perform hot backup on system partition directly in Windows environment, without shutting down the OS. Besides, the new incremental backup feature allows users to add recent changes to the original disk backup image file, helping to avoid performing entire disk backup repeatedly. Moreover, it allows users to complete recovery through CD-ROM boot, without starting Windows.
During backup and restore process, Ghost can do a lot of things.
1. Be able to format large partitions quickly: with the capacity of hard disk is increasing, it often takes a lot of time each time when you need to format a large partition. At this time, you can resort to Ghost to achieve fast formatting.
2. Be capable of defragging: when you use Ghost to backup hard drive partition, it will automatically skip blank portions of the partition to only write the data into the GHO image file. Thus, when you need to recover partition with Ghost, it will write GHO file content into partition continuously, without leaving blank area.
In this way, the fragmented files in source partition will disappear from the new partition naturally.
3. Be able to clone more than one PC at the same time: Ghost versions before Ghost 8.0 only allow us to clone one PC at one time. However, the latter versions are improved to support simultaneous cloning of multiple computers.
4. Be capable of fix errors arising from PQ partitioning: when the intention to use PQ for partitioning is failed and leading to files disappearing, you shouldn’t get into anxious. Instead, please stay calm and do the following things: enter Ghost, select “Local/Check/Disk” and press “Enter” to start detection.
Click to tweet
Though many ordinary users are not familiar with Ghost, they may need to do such work sometime. When that time comes, they may run into a series of problems. Losing important files is one of the most common problems; but you don’t need to worry too much after reading this post since it provides you with a safe and easy way to get back the files you need. Many people have actually found back the files they need with this method after just a few clicks.