How can you restore your Toshiba laptop to factory settings? Creating a Toshiba recovery disk and using the inbuilt recovery partition are available. If you are running Windows 8 and Windows 10, you can reset your PC to do this task. See this post and you can find many details focusing on Toshiba Satellite recovery offered by MiniTool Solution.
Computer problems always happen from time to time due to incorrect operations, virus infections, hard drive damage, system configurations, and more. Sometimes, you find your computer runs very slowly.
To fix some issues or improve the PC performance, you may choose to perform a system recovery to restore the machine to an earlier state. Sometimes before selling or donating your PC, you also choose to perform a recovery.
If you are using a Toshiba Satellite laptop, how can you perform the Toshiba recovery operation? The operation is very easy, and now let’s go to see the following guide.
Please don’t be freaked out when errors and problems show up on your Toshiba Satellite laptop since they can be fixed in most cases.
How to Do Toshiba Satellite Recovery in Windows 7/8/10
Sometimes system recovery means restoring the Toshiba laptop to an earlier point in time but sometimes it means taking the laptop to its original factory condition (factory settings). There are two ways for you to perform Toshiba Satellite recovery:
- Create a Toshiba recovery disk
- Use recovery partition (a free method)
Back up Crucial Files Before Toshiba Recovery
Before introducing how to factory reset Toshiba laptop like the Satellite brand, there is an important point you should know – the recovery process may delete all data including pictures, music, personal files, documents, etc., and programs that were not preinstalled at the factory.
Thus, save the files you want to keep to an external storage device before performing a recovery. After finishing the Toshiba recovery, there is no way to get them back.
To back up your significant files, you can choose a professional file backup software. Here, we strongly recommend using MiniTool ShadowMaker. It can be used to back up your files, folders, Windows operating systems, disks, and partitions. Although your Toshiba laptop fails to start up, you can easily back up files without booting Windows since it offers Media Builder to create a bootable USB flash drive/disk or CD/DVD disc.
Besides, this backup software allows cloning a hard drive to another disk and syncing files to other locations for data protection. Now, free get MiniTool ShadowMaker and install it on your Toshiba laptop to start a backup.
Suppose your Toshiba Satellite laptop can load to the desktop:
Step 1: Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker to its main interface.
Step 2: In the Backup interface, click Source > Folders and Files and then choose items you want to back up. Then, click OK.
What do I need to back up my computer? What files should I back up? Now, get the answers to these two questions in this post.
Step 3: Click Destination to specify a location to save the backed-up files.
Step 4: Click Back up Now to start file backup.
After finishing the data backup, now you can start the Toshiba recovery.
Start Toshiba Satellite Recovery Using a Disc
As stated above, you can restore a Toshiba laptop to factory settings in two ways – a recovery disk or recovery partition. The first way requires you to create a Toshiba recovery disk in advance with the software.
If you don’t know how to get a recovery disk, see the following instructions.
How to Create a Toshiba Recovery Disk
On a Toshiba computer, there is a built-in tool - Toshiba Recovery Media Creator. You are required to prepare blank CD/DVD discs to create bootable media. Also, you can use a USB flash drive with a large capacity if there is no DVD drive on the machine.
1. You can make sets of recovery media based on your needs.
2. Note that the created media can be used on only your machine and cannot be used to restore other computers.
3. You should keep at least one set of media to perform disaster recovery in case of PC issues.
4. Not all computers offer both CD and DVD options.
Step 1: In Windows 8/7, launch Toshiba Recovery Media Creator and click Yes to continue.
Step 2: In the Media Selection section, check the box next to the options you want.
- System Recovery Media: create a set of DVDs or CDs or USB flash drive to perform a complete recovery.
- Application Disks (some models have): create a disk set to reinstall apps you choose from a list of programs that are originally shipped with the Toshiba computer.
Step 3: If you check the Verify box, Toshiba Recovery Media Creator can check the data when it is being written to the disks. This makes sure the disks work in a good state when completed although it will take a long time to create the disks.
Step 4: Insert your CD/DVD discs or connect a USB flash drive and then click Create. Next, perform the creation process by following the on-screen instructions.
How to Factory Reset Toshiba Laptop via a Recovery Disk
1. Make sure you have shut down your Toshiba Satellite laptop.
2. Insert your first recovery disc into your laptop’s CD/DVD-ROM drive or connect a USB flash drive to your machine if the recovery files are saved to a USB drive.
3. Turn on the machine and press the F12 key on your keyboard when seeing the Toshiba logo.
4. On the boot menu screen, choose the DVD option or USB flash option based on your actual situation by using the arrow keys.
5. A warning message appears to tell you all data on your internal storage drive will be erased. Click Yes to continue.
6. Choose Recovery of Factory Default Software and click Next.
7. In the new window, you can see some recovery options:
- Recover to out-of-box state (System Recovery Options are included): This is selected by default. If you want to restore the PC to factory settings, select it.
- Recover without changing the hard drive partitions: This reformats drive C but keeps other partitions intact.
- Recover to a custom size partition: This allows you to specify a custom size for the C drive. Note that this option can delete all other partitions on the hard drive.
Just choose one option and continue with the next steps by following the prompts on the screen. Toshiba Satellite Recovery will take some time and wait patiently.
On some new laptops, you cannot use Toshiba Recovery Media Creator to create a recovery disk but they come with a recovery partition that can be used to reset the Toshiba laptop to its default settings.
Toshiba Satellite Recovery via Recovery Partition
How to restore Toshiba laptop without recovery disk? The task is simple and see details from this post now.
How to factory reset Toshiba laptop in Windows 7:
1. Power off your Toshiba Satellite laptop and remove all the external devices including your keyboard, mouse, monitor, USB drive, and more.
2. Plug the AC Adapter and make sure it can work properly.
3. Enter the TOSHIBA Recovery Wizard screen:
- For machines with the F key numbers on the top edge of the keys and in white: press and hold the 0 key while starting your laptop. Release this key when the recovery warning screen appears. Click Yes to continue.
- For machines with the F key numbers on the bottom edge of the keys and in gray: power on your machine, press F12 to enter the boot menu, choose Repair your computer and select TOSHIBA Recovery Wizard.
4. Select Recovery of Factory Default Software to continue.
5. Check the box of Recover to out-of-box state (System Recovery Options are included). It is a default option. In addition to this option, there are some others and we have mentioned them in the above part - Toshiba Satellite Recovery via a disc. Choose a proper one for Toshiba Satellite recovery.
6. Start the recovery process.
How to do Toshiba Satellite recovery in Windows 8:
For Windows 8, the operations for Toshiba recovery are not as same as Windows 7 and follow these instructions.
Toshiba can boot
- Press Win + C to open the Charm Bar.
- Go to Settings > PC Settings.
- Select General and then go to Advanced startup > Restart now to enter the Advanced startup screen.
- Navigate to Troubleshoot and you can choose Refresh your PC (this won’t delete your files) or Reset your PC (this removes all of your files). Or, go to Advanced options > System Restore to restore the laptop to an earlier state.
Toshiba cannot boot:
- Restart your Toshiba PC and press the F12 key to enter the boot menu.
- Choose HDD Recovery by using the arrow keys and press Enter.
- Select Yes to continue with recovery.
- Go to choose to reset or refresh your PC or perform System Restore.
How to Reset Windows 10 Toshiba laptop
As for Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite Recovery, you can reset it to restore to factory settings. Details are in the following steps.
Toshiba can boot:
- Go to Settings > Update & Security.
- Click Recovery and choose Get started from Reset this PC.
- Choose Keep my files or Remove everything based on your needs. Then, finish the resetting process by following prompts.
Toshiba cannot boot:
- Make sure your Toshiba laptop shuts down completely. Power on the machine and press the 0 key.
- Go to Troubleshoot and click Reset your PC.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the recovery.
- Choose an option depending on your situation and follow the prompts to finish the resetting operation.
Sometimes on different computers, you can go to Troubleshoot > TOSHIBA Maintenance Utility > TOSHIBA Recovery Wizard. Then, complete the recovery process following the on-screen wizards.
Related article: How Do I Perform Toshiba Hard Drive Recovery Easily and Quickly
Here is all the information about Toshiba Satellite recovery for Windows 7/8/10. Before starting a recovery, you should create a backup for your important files since the recovery process can delete some data. Then, follow the above-detailed instructions to restore your Toshiba laptop to factory settings – use a recovery disk or built-in recovery partition.
Contact us by leaving a comment below or sending an email to [email protected] if you have any ideas or questions. We will reply to you as soon as possible.