When you try to open a JPG/JPEG file in Windows 10 but only to find that it can’t open, you can check the causes and solutions in this post to fix “can’t open JPG Windows 10” issue. MiniTool Power Data Recovery, a free data recovery program, lets you recover any deleted/lost files from Windows computer and external drives in a few clicks.
Can’t Open JPG Files on Windows 10? – 11 Fixes
- Rename the JPG/JPEG File
- Run a Virus Scan
- Reset or Repair Windows Photos App
- Update Photos App
- Update Windows 10 to the Latest Version
- Use Third-party Image Viewer
- Run CHKDSK to Fix File System Error
- Run SFC to Repair Corrupt System Files
- Run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
- Reinstall Photos App with PowerShell
- Repair Corrupted JPG/JPEG Files
Possible Causes for Can’t Open JPG/JEPG File on Windows 10
- Virus or malware infection.
- Your computer misses some updates.
- Microsoft Photos app is outdated or has problems.
- Your computer has file system errors.
- Your computer has corrupt system files.
- The JPG file is corrupt.
- And more.
If you can’t open JPG files in Windows 10, try the 11 fixes below to solve this issue.
Fix 1. Rename the JPG/JPEG File
The first troubleshooting step you can take is to rename the JPG or JPEG file without changing its file extension. Give the file a new name and try to open it again to see if it can open.
Fix 2. Run a Virus Scan
You can run a virus scan for the JPG file and run a full scan for your computer to remove any suspicious malware or virus.
How to easily corrupt a file like Word, Text, Excel, PDF, MP3 file, etc. so it won’t open? Here are 3 free file corrupters to let you corrupt a file online.
Fix 3. Reset or Repair Windows Photos App
- Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Click Apps -> Apps & features.
- Scroll down to find Microsoft Photos app, click it and click Advanced options.
- Under Reset section, you can click Reset button to reset Photos app to default settings.
- Alternatively, if Photos app isn’t working right, you can also click Repair button to try to repair it without affecting your data. After that, check if it solves the Windows 10 won’t open JPG/JPEG files issue.
Fix 4. Update Photos App
- Click Start menu, type Microsoft Store, click Microsoft Store app to open it.
- Click the three-dot icon at the top-right corner, and select Download and Updates.
- Find if Photos App is listed in the list of Available Updates. Click Get Updates button to automatically update Microsoft Photos app. Try to open the JPG file with Photos app again to see if it can open it.
Fix 5. Update Windows 10 to the Latest Version
Alternatively, you can also install the latest Windows updates on your computer to see if it can help fix can’t open JPG Windows 10 issue. It will also automatically install available updates of Photos app.
- Click Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update.
- Click Check for updates button to install any latest Windows updates.
Fix 6. Use Third-party Image Viewer
You can right-click the JPG/JPEG image and select another photo viewer program like Paint, Paint 3D to open the file. You can also install a third-party image viewer application to see if it can open this JPG file. If it can open it, then the cause for Windows 10 can’t open JPG file lies in the default Photos app.
This post teaches you how to show/view folder size in Windows 10 File Explorer if Windows folder size is not showing. 4 ways are included.
Fix 7. Run CHKDSK to Fix File System Error
If you are unable to open JPEG file on your Windows 10 computer and it shows file system error, you can run Windows CHKDSK to repair any file system errors.
- Click Start, type cmd, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator.
- In Command Prompt window, type chkdsk /f /r command with the drive letter of the target drive that you want to scan. For example, chkdsk C: /f /r. Press Enter to run CHKDSK to find and fix file system error and mark bad sectors on the drive.
Fix 8. Run SFC to Repair Corrupt System Files
Corrupt system files may make the photo viewer app not working. You can run an SFC scan to repair possible corrupt system files. After that, try to open the JPG/JPEG file again to see if it can open smoothly.
- Click Start, type cmd, right-click Command Prompt app and click Run as administrator.
- In Command Prompt window, type sfc /scannow command and press Enter. It will automatically scan and fix detected corrupt system files.
Fix 9. Run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
You can also run Windows Store Apps troubleshooter to troubleshoot problems that may prevent Windows Store apps from working properly. If you get the photo viewer app from Microsoft Store, it might help fix app problems.
- Press Windows + I.
- Click Update & Security -> Troubleshoot.
- Scroll down to find Windows Store Apps, click it and click Run the troubleshooter button.
Fix 10. Reinstall Photos App with PowerShell
If you are unable to open JPEG file in Photos app on Windows 10, you can try to reinstall Photos app and try to open the JPG/JPEG file again. Check how to use PowerShell to uninstall Photos app.
- Press Windows + X and select Windows PowerShell (Admin) to open PowerShell in Windows 10.
- Type the command and press Enter: get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage.
- After reinstalling Photos app in Windows 10, you can go to Microsoft Store to search for Microsoft Photos, download and install it again on your computer.
This post gives an introduction to Microsoft Photos app. Learn how to access, download and install, uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Photos app on Windows 10.
Fix 11. Repair Corrupted JPG/JPEG Files
The last cause for can’t open JPG in Windows 10 is that the file is corrupt. In this case, you can use some professional photo repair software to repair the corrupt or damaged JPG/JPEG file.
You can try tools like Stellar Repair for Photo, Picture Doctor, File Repair, JPEG Repair Toolkit, PixRecovery, JPEG Recovery Pro, JPEG Repair Shop, etc.
Bonus Tip: How to Recover Deleted/Lost Photos for Free
MiniTool Power Data Recovery is the best free data recovery program for Windows. You can use this tool to easily recover deleted or lost photos, videos, any other files from Windows 10 PC or laptop, memory card, USB flash/pen/thumb drive, external hard drive, SSD, etc.
Download and install MiniTool Power Data Recovery on your Windows 10 computer, and check the simple steps below for how to use it to scan and recover files.
Step 1. Launch MiniTool Power Data Recovery. Choose a device category from the left column. Here we choose This PC. Then select the target drive that contains your deleted or lost files. Click Scan button.
Step 2. Wait until the scan process finishes. Check the scan result and find the wanted files. Click Save button to select a destination to store the recovered files.
To Sum Up
If you can’t open JPG/JPEG files on Windows 10, you can try the 11 fixes in this post to solve this issue. To recover deleted/lost photos or any other files from Windows 10 computer for free, you can use MiniTool Power Data Recovery. It also lets you recover data from external hard drive, memory card, USB flash drive, SSD, and more.