Do you feel helpless and upset when your Google Chrome history is suddenly lost or deleted, but you don't know how to recover and retrieve them? Don't panic, this post will walk you through 8 ways to recover deleted Chrome history quickly and accurately. If you do actually intend to delete your history, you can skip to the end of the article for a direct way to delete Google Chrome history.
Can You Recover Deleted History on Google Chrome
Developed by Google Inc., Google Chrome is a widely used web browser all over the world. It's simple in design and fast in speed. Like any other web browsers, Google Chrome generates web browsing history that lists web pages a user has visited recently and the associated data - such as page title and time of visit. The history files remind users where they have been on the web and help them go back to any accidentally closed pages.
The annoyance is that the Google Chrome history could be lost due to unknown reasons - most commonly being deletion. What are you supposed to do under this circumstance? In this post, I will show you how to recover deleted history on Google Chrome in 8 easy ways.
How to view Google Chrome history:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click on More Options - the three vertically aligned dots at the top right corner of the window.
- Navigate to History and you'll see the recently closed pages in the left pop-up list.
An easier way to see Chrome history is to press Ctrl and H at the same time in an opening Google Chrome.
Using chrome://net-internals/#dns can help you clear the DNS cache on Chrome. If chrome://net-internals/#dns doesn’t work, try the methods in this post.
How to Recover Deleted History on Google Chrome: 8 Methods
If the history files are deleted by mistake, people will be wondering the ways to recover Google Chrome history files. Here in this part, I will help you recover deleted history Chrome quickly. (All methods are tested on a Windows 10 computer.)
Method 1: Go to the Recycle Bin
Recover deleted Google history: open the Recycle Bin to check whether the deleted history files are stored there temporarily.
- If YES, select them and choose Restore from the context menu.
- If NOT, you might have permanently deleted the browsing history. In this case, continue to Method 2.
For more details about the Recycle Bin recovery, please read this page:
Recycle Bin recovery seems quite difficult for us if the Recycle Bin is emptied or the files are further deleted from it; but, it is not the case.
Method 2: Use Data Recovery Program
An easy way to recover any lost files is to use the tool – MiniTool Power Data Recovery. It is useful and even able to recover permanently deleted files in all common Windows systems.
How can you recover deleted history on computer?
Step 1: run MiniTool Power Data Recovery to see the following interface. For Google Chrome history recovery, make sure This PC (the first option) is selected in the left pane; then, choose C drive to scan in the right pane.
The Google Chrome history files are generally kept in this path by default: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default.
Therefore, select C: as the target drive in this step.
However, your path can be different as you can see from our example. To find the path your History is saved at, type chrome://version/ in the Chrome address bar to see the detailed information.
Besides, if you have exported the Google Chrome bookmarks to a local drive before they get lost, you need to scan the specific drive to recover Google Chrome bookmarks.
Step 2: wait until the scan is finished; alternatively, during the scan, you can open the currently searched partitions to look for that Google folder. Once that folder has been found, you can pause the scanning process, check that folder and click Save.
Step 3: in the prompt window, set a directory to save the files and press OK to confirm. Please make sure that the free space left in the target storage directory is enough for you to recover the deleted internet history.
You may also be interested in the following questions:
- How to recover deleted history on Google Chrome Android?
- How to recover deleted history on Google Chrome iPhone?
To know how to recover deleted web history on Android phone, please read this post.
- If you want to find out a way to recover your bookmark from a RAW drive, I'd like to share this post with you: How To Recover Data From RAW File System, RAW Partition & RAW Drive. You will learn the reasons a drive/partition might become RAW and the basic ways to solve the problem.
- If you have deleted files mistakenly from your PC, please read this page: How To Retrieve Deleted Files On PC - Step By Step Tutorial. You will learn how to recover deleted files in different cases and the top data loss causes.
Keep reading to find the many other ways to recover deleted history from Google Chrome.
Method 3: Make Use of DNS Cache
First make sure that your computer is connected to the internet. After the Chrome history has been deleted/lost, DO NOT shut down or restart your computer.
How to find deleted history on Google Chrome by using cmd:
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog.
- Type cmd into the text box and click on the OK button to confirm. (You can also type cmd into the Windows search text box shown after you clicked on Windows Start button and then press Enter on the keyboard.)
- Type the command – ipconfig /displaydns – and then press Enter on the keyboard.
- Wait a moment for the command to complete.
After that, all your recently visited websites will be displayed; here you can find the important internet history that you need.
Method 4: Resort to System Restore
Another easy way to recover Chrome browsing history is turning to System Restore. It is able to restore every time the internet history is deleted.
Please follow the tutorial given below to carry out the Google Chrome history file recovery:
- Click on the Cortana icon and type system restore into its search box.
- Press Enter on the keyboard or choose Create a restore point from the Best match to open it.
- Click on the System Restore button in System Protection tab.
- Click on the Next button in the pop-up System Restore window.
- Choose a proper restore point from the list.
- Click on the Next button and confirm your restore point.
- Click on the Finish button and wait for it to complete.
- Restart your computer.
After the rebooting, you can open Google Chrome to check whether the internet history is back.
Method 5: Let Cookies Help You
Cookies are very important sometimes. They are a group of small text files stored in the internet browser that include all your user information & records for the web sites you have visited.
So when you lose your Google Chrome browsing history, you may want to access cookies to see it:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Move your cursor to the upper right corner and click on More option (represented by three points arranged vertically), in order to customize and control Google Chrome.
- Click on Settings option and scroll down to the bottom of the settings page to click on the Advanced button.
- Choose and click Content settings under the Privacy and security part.
- Then, you’ll see Cookies at the top of the list.
- Click on Cookies and find the information you need.
Method 6: Get Help from My Activity
For Google Chrome which is logged in with a Google Account, its browsing history could be seen with the help of My Activity. With this tool, you can view & control activities on your account easily.
- Open www.google.com and type My Activity into the Google search box.
- Open the first result – myactivity.google.com.
- Sign in with your Google Account. (If you have logged in Google Chrome all the time, you can skip this step since the account information will be synchronized automatically.)
- Then, you’ll see your exact activities and the related information.
After that, you can navigate to the certain activity to reach the goal of recovering deleted history on Google Account.
Method 7: Turn to Desktop Search Programs
The desktop search programs are used to search users' files on the computer; however, you will need to find a proper desktop search program and install it to your computer correctly (it's best to choose another drive as the installation place).
After that, you can type any keywords you can remember into the search box on Window's taskbar to search and recover Google Chrome history files.
If your Windows 10 taskbar is having issues or not working, please read this to know how to fix:
If you find your Windows 10 taskbar is not working, please don’t panic since I have useful methods to help.
Method 8: View Deleted History via Log Files
For history files which have been deleted a long time ago, you can still recover them with the help of log files. The index.dat file is a database file hidden on your computer that contains all of the web sites that you have ever visited. Once you have found index.dat file, you're able to list every URL and every web page you have browsed. You can do that by changing the settings to show hidden files and folders on computer.
The above content tells you how to view deleted history on Google Chrome by different ways; you should choose the one that is most suitable for your case.
The Most Common Way to Delete Google Chrome History
There are also some cases in which you don’t want others to see your browsing history. On this occasion, deleting the browsing history of Chrome on all devices that you have signed in with Google Account is the most direct way. Here are the operations you should complete to delete the browsing history:
- Open the device and then open Chrome on it.
- In the top right corner, please click on the More option.
- Navigate to history and then choose History from its submenu. (Or you can press Ctrl + H to open History page directly.)
- Choose Clear browsing data from the left pane.
- Set the time range to be All time and check all items listed below.
- Click on the Clear data button.
- Wait for the process to complete.
After that, you can protect your privacy by deleting the Chrome browsing history completely.
Sometimes you might need to re-access your Google Chrome history for important information, but it is possible that your history files could be deleted accidentally or lost suddenly. This could happen to anyone, so we should all be well prepared.
Because of that, I have provided a total 8 ways to tell you how to recover deleted history on Google Chrome. You can get familiar with them first and choose one or more methods to recover Chrome history in time when necessary. Frankly speaking, I recommend MiniTool Data Recovery the most.
At the end of this article, I have also told you how to delete Google Chrome browsing history clearly.
I hope you all can finish what you want to do easily after reading this post. For any questions related to MiniTool software, you are welcome to leave us comments below or contact us via [email protected].