Digital data is an indispensable part of our life. Our computers contain some of our most important files - thesis, study materials, personal data, business documents and many things - that we can never afford to lose.
However, many people have the same experience: accidentally deleted a file. This article will show you how to get help from MiniTool software and other tools to finish deleted file recovery.
Accidental data loss is a very common disaster that can happen to anyone. Unfortunately, not everyone knows how to retrieve deleted files on PC.
Here, I will walk you through the specific steps to undelete files quickly. Then, I’ll show you what happens when files get deleted.
Please be advised that this tutorial to restore accidentally deleted data is very user-friendly and easy to understand.
How to Retrieve Deleted Files on PC
Recover Deleted Files Windows
Backup is important for data recovery for Windows.
- Please recover deleted data from a backup if you have any.
- If you don’t have any backups, you should go to check Windows Recycle Bin to see whether the important files you need are included there.
Recover deleted files with Recycle Bin:
- Right click on the icon on desktop.
- Choose Open from the context menu.
- Check and select files to recover.
- Right click on the files you need.
- Choose Restore from the context menu to recover selected files (you can also drag the files directly out of Recycle Bin).
Can’t find your desired files? Don’t worry; you still have a good chance to restore deleted files.
- To recover permanently deleted files, you can right click on the file and select Restore previous versions if you have enabled System Restore for it.
- Additionally, free data recovery software like MiniTool Power Data Recovery can help you recover deleted files for free (it provides high-quality data recovery service).
How can I get my files back after accidental deletion? Please keep reading. (The operations to successfully recover deleted files in Windows 10, Windows 7 or other systems are basically the same.)
How to undelete important files with Power Data Recovery:
- Download MiniTool Power Data Recovery and install it to a drive that does not contain any files waiting to be recovered.
- Run the software; it gives support to all common file types like photos and videos.
Steps to recover deleted files after emptying Recycle Bin:
- Select This PC from left sidebar.
- Select the partition that contains the files you have deleted. (You can appoint the file type you need by clicking Settings)
- Click Scan and wait for it to complete.
- Browse the scan result and check the files you want.
- Click Save and set a storage location.
- Click OK to confirm and wait till the end of free data recovery.
When all those operations are done, you can complete the process of recovering lost and permanently deleted files.
That’s how to retrieve deleted files on PC when you’re running a Windows PC (it also introduces the way to recover data deleted from cloud storage service like OneDrive).
Restore Deleted Files Mac
If you want to finish data recovery on Mac, you can choose Time Machine; but there’s a better choice: using the file recovery program Stellar Data Recovery.
Download Stellar Data Recovery, install it and launch it to start hard drive recovery.
- Choose the file types that you want; you can turn on Recover Everything or specify the type manually.
- Select the drive containing deleted Mac files.
- Click on the Scan button at the bottom right.
- Wait for the scan to process.
- Browse found data and select the files you need (retrieve documents and recover photos).
- Click on the Recover button and choose a path.
- Click Save to confirm and wait for file recovery on Mac.
Here’s how to recover lost files Mac:
Recover Your Deleted Files in Other Cases
In addition to how to retrieve deleted files on PC, you may want know how to recover files from:
- External disk
- Flash disk
- Memory card
- Android device
How to Recover Files Deleted in Different Situation
Recover data from external hard drives.
To recover deleted data from external storage, you only need to take one more step: connect the device to PC and make it show up. (What if the external storage doesn’t appear?)
Recover files from flash drives.
Steps for recovering files from a flash drive:
- Connect your USB storage to PC.
- Make sure the USB drive appears. (How to fix when USB flash disk can’t be recognized).
- Open the recovery software and use it to restore files disappeared from the flash disk.
Restore files from memory cards.
How to recover lost files from SD card:
- Take out the SD card and insert it into a card reader.
- Connect the card reader to PC.
- Use the software to scan it for deleted data.
Tips on recovering deleted files from SD card:
The content involved in this essay can help you restore deleted files from SD card without any obstacles.
Restore deleted files Android.
2 choices to recover a deleted file on Android.
- Choice 1: recover Android data with MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
- Choice 2: restore deleted files from Android device with MiniTool Mobile Recovery for Android.
Recover files after virus attack.
Power Data Recovery can not only help you restore files deleted permanently, but also get back files deleted by virus attack.
Please note: if your PC is unable to boot after virus attack, please resort to the bootable edition.
Recover files from deleted partition.
If a partition is deleted/lost, you should scan the whole disk to find missing files: select Hard Disk Drive and follow the steps mentioned above to find files and folders.
That’s how I recover my files on PC quickly by using MiniTool Power Data Recovery, a better choice than Stellar Data Recovery.
What Happens When a File Is Deleted or Lost
When you delete files permanently, they will not disappear; you just lose entries to them. The situation is the same when a file system is damaged.
What’s going on when you delete a file on a Windows PC?
The file content itself won’t be cleared: when you delete a file in Windows Explorer, Windows will move it to Recycle Bin and mark it as deleted; even if it’s cleared from here, the actual data remain.
That’s why you can recover deleted file or folder with the help of file recovery software.
It’s definitely a useful skill to know how to retrieve deleted files on PC with snap-in tools and data recovery software. In this post, multiple recovery methods are provided to help you get rid of data loss. You should follow the steps to get back files immediately.
One important thing to notice is – you must stop writing new data/using the PC after file deletion in order to avoid data overwriting.