BIOS is pre-installed on the motherboard of computers; it’s a very important component. When users encounter a bug that can’t be fixed in other ways or certain hardware can’t be recognized/supported by a computer, they may consider updating BIOS to the latest version. This page shows you how to update BIOS ASUS in different ways.
About BIOS Update
Before going any further to reasons for updating BIOS ASUS and ASUS BIOS update methods, I’d like to introduce BIOS to you, in brief.
What Is BIOS
The full name of BIOS is Basic Input/Output System, which is a pre-installed & essential firmware stored in a ROM chip on the PC motherboard. BIOS is mainly responsible for performing hardware initialization during the PC booting process and providing runtime services for operating systems & programs.
How to Check for a BIOS Update
Step 1: get to know your current BIOS version on your computer in System Information or via Command Prompt (using the wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion command).
Step 2: visit your manufacturer’s official website (or contact the tech support) -> search for your motherboard model -> check whether there’s a new firmware update available.
Risks of BIOS Update
Making changes with your Windows BIOS could be risky (very dangerous). There are also some reasons to explain why you shouldn’t do ASUS update BIOS.
- As mentioned earlier, your motherboard will be damaged and you won’t be able to boot your computer if the update process failed. This will cost hundreds to repair.
- The new version of BIOS may not support your exact hardware.
- Different motherboard model requires different BIOS versions. Problems may be caused even if the new BIOS version is slightly different.
- You may probably meet some new bugs with the new version of the BIOS even if it’s the correct one; the BIOS coming with your computer has gone through numerous tests.
Have you ever encountered a corrupted BIOS? Do you know that the ordinary BIOS corruption can be fixed? This post will unveil these things to you.
If you’re lucky enough, you’ll be able to restore your BIOS to its original default because some modern motherboards contain a reset mechanism to help you with that.
Here comes the question: how to update BIOS ASUS. In the following sections, I’ll show you different ways to update your ASUS BIOS step by step.
Method 1: Update BIOS in Windows
The following content will take how to update BIOS Windows 10 as an example to show you how to perform BIOS update on ASUS.
Step 1: Download BIOS Update Utility
You can either download the BIOS update utility from MyASUS or the ASUS support site.
What is the ASUS UEFI BIOS utility? How to use it to boot from USB?
Some users don’t know how to use their ASUS UEFI BIOS utility that comes with their computer; for instance, how to boot from USB via ASUS BIOS.
How to Download the Update Utility from MyASUS
- Open the Windows search bar by pressing Windows + S or in other ways.
- Type MyASUS and press Enter. (Please read this if you can’t find MyASUS on your computer.)
- Select Customer Support from the left pane of the MyASUS app.
- Shift to the Live Update tab at the top of the right pane.
- Click on the Latest option under it.
- Locate the BIOS Update(Windows) section.
- Find the BIOS Update for Windows file and click on the download icon after it to get the ASUS BIOS Installer.
If you can't see any tab named Live Update, it means your computer does not support it. You should refer to the following way to download from the ASUS support site.
How to Download the Update Utility from the ASUS Support Site
- Go to the official ASUS support site.
- Click on the search icon and type the model name of your computer into the search bar. (Don’t include ASUS; the name should be 4~5 letters/numbers.)
- Locate the BIOS Update(Windows) section on the support page.
- Look for the BIOS Installer for Windows file and click on the DOWNLOAD button.
- You can also locate the BIOS-Utilities section and download the Windows BIOS Flash Utility (WinFlash) if you can’t find the BIOS installer.
If your computer doesn’t support using BIOS Installer or WinFlash to update BIOS in Windows, please refer to method 2: update ASUS BIOS with EZ Flash.
Step 2: Update BIOS with the Utility You Downloaded
This part shows you how to use the BIOS Installer or the WinFlash to update BIOS ASUS.
How to Update BIOS with the BIOS Installer
- Navigate to the BIOS Installer file and right click on it.
- Select Extract All from the context menu.
- Click Browse to specify a destination.
- Click Extract and wait.
- Go to the destination and double click on the BIOS Update (or BIOS Installer) application file.
- The setup wizard will appear: click Next -> check I accept the agreement & click Next -> click Next -> click Install -> check Yes, restart the computer now & click Finish.
- Wait for the BIOS update process to finish.
How to Update BIOS with the WinFlash
- Navigate to the Winflash file and right click on it.
- Select Extract All.
- Specify a destination and click Extract.
- When the extraction is completed, please go to the destination.
- Double click on the Setup file to see the WinFlash setup wizard.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install WinFlash properly.
- Double click on the WinFlash application file. Also, you can press Windows + S -> type WinFlash -> press Enter.
- Click Next in the WinFlash app to continue.
- Select Get BIOS from the Web or Get BIOS from Device.
- Click on the Update button at the bottom and then wait.
- Click on the Exit button and your computer will be restarted automatically to continue the updating process.
- Just wait until the end of the BIOS updating on ASUS.
Method 2: Update BIOS in BIOS Utility (with EZ Flash)
This part shows you how to use the USB drive and the ASUS EZ Flash to update your ASUS BIOS. You’d better save the BIOS file to a USB drive.
Step 1: Download the BIOS File
Down from MyASUS:
- Open MyASUS as mentioned in method 1.
- Go to Customer Support -> Live Update -> Latest.
- Look for BIOS for ASUS EZ Flash Utility or BIOS version under the BIOS section.
- Click on the download icon and wait.
Down from ASUS support site:
- Visit the ASUS support site.
- Type your model name -> click Driver & Utility -> shift to BIOS & FIRMWARE.
- Search for the BIOS for ASUS EZ Flash Utility file or the BIOS version file under BIOS on the support page.
- Click DOWNLOAD, save the file to your USB drive, and wait.
Step 2: Update BIOS with EZ Flash
How to Update BIOS ASUS in UEFI Mode
- Insert the USB drive and extract the BIOS file you download.
- Restart your ASUS computer and press the correct key (DEL) to enter the BIOS Utility.
- Go to the Advanced Mode manually or by pressing F7.
- Shift to the Advanced tab.
- Navigate to the ASUS EZ Flash 3 Utility option under it.
- If you can’t find it, you may go to Tool and select ASUS EZ Flash 3 Utility.
- Select the storage device on which the BIOS file is saved.
- Click the BIOS file (named by Model + AS. + BIOS version).
- Click Yes when it asks you “Do you want to use this file?”.
- Click Yes again to confirm the BIOS information and update.
- Wait for the process to finish. Then, your computer will be restarted automatically.
How about the HP/Acer boot menu?
- What Is HP Boot Menu? How To Access Boot Menu Or BIOS?
- What Is Acer Boot Menu? How To Access/Change Acer BIOS?
How to Update BIOS ASUS in Legacy Mode
- Insert the USB drive and extract the BIOS file.
- Restart your PC to enter the BIOS Utility.
- Shift to the Advanced tab.
- Navigate to ASUS EZ Flash 3 Utility and press Enter.
- Select the target storage device and choose the BIOS file.
- Navigate to Yes and press Enter to continue.
- Wait for the BIOS update to end. Also, your PC will be auto-rebooted.
Method 3: Update BIOS Using AI Suite 3 (EZ Update)
Step 1: download the BIOS file as mentioned above.
Step 2: extract the file to your USB.
Various solutions are provided for you to fix USB flash drive not recognized error and recover data from the inaccessible flash drive.
Step 3: download AI suite 3 file.
Visit the ASUS Download Center -> enter the model name -> click Driver & Utility -> select Drivers and Tools -> select the operating system -> look for the AI Suite 3 file under Software and Utility -> click DOWNLOAD.
Step 4: extract the AI Suite 3 file to your USB.
Step 5: find the AsusSetup executable file and double click on it. Then, follow the instructions to install AI Suite 3.
Step 6: run Asus AI Suite 3 to perform ASUS BIOS update.
Click on the main menu icon (three horizontal lines) -> select EZ update from the left pane -> click on the three dots icon under Manually update boot logo or BIOS -> select the extracted BIOS file -> click Update -> click Flash -> click OK -> restart the ASUS computer -> the EZ Flash interface appears -> wait for the update to complete -> restart computer again.
You can also click Check Now under Check updates from the internet to update BIOS online.
Method 4: Update BIOS Using USB BIOS FlashBack
There’s a special way to update BIOS ASUS: update under the Shutdown or Uninstall CPU Status (USB BIOS FlashBack).
This method is only available for some models of the ASUS computer. If you want to figure out whether your motherboard can support the USB BIOS FlashBack function and how to use BIOS FlashBack™ in detail, please refer to this ASUS support page.
Please read this page if your ASUS BIOS fails to update.
Data Recovery on ASUS Computer
How to recover data from an ASUS computer? That depends on whether you can still boot the computer or not.
Recover Files from a Working ASUS PC
If you can boot the computer successfully after the BIOS update, you should download the MiniTool Power Data Recovery software (not save it to the drive that contains lost data).
- Double click on the setup file to initialize the installation process.
- Follow the instructions to install the software properly and then run it.
- Keep Logical Drives selected and look for the drive that contains lost files.
- Move your cursor onto the drive and click Scan. Or, you can double click on the drive to start scanning it directly.
- Wait and then browse the scanning result.
- Check the files and folders you want to recover.
- Click on the Save button, select a directory, and click OK.
- Wait for the recovery to finish.
Recover Files from Non-bootable System
- Look at this page to choose an edition of MiniTool Power Data Recovery that contains the Snap-in WinPE Bootable Builder.
- Follow the instructions to install and run the software.
- Insert a USB disk into the computer. Then, click on the Bootable Edition icon (looks like a CD) at the top right.
- Select the media type -> choose media destination -> wait for the disk building process -> click Finish -> remove the USB disk from the computer safely.
- Connect the USB disk to your ASUS computer that won’t boot.
- Enter BIOS to set it to boot from this USB drive. Then, exit and save changes.
- When you finally see the MiniTool PE Loader window, choose the first option.
- Then, choose Logical Drives -> select a partition to scan -> choose files to recover. Or select Devices -> select the entire disk to scan -> choose files to recover.
If you want to know more about how to recover data from an ASUS laptop that won’t turn on and how to troubleshoot it, please read this post carefully.
This article introduces ASUS BIOS update to users and then tells them how to update BIOS ASUS with 4 useful methods. After that, it shows users how to recover data from an ASUS computer/laptop in 2 situations: when it can boot successfully or when it becomes unbootable. Hope this can be helpful for you!