Kodi is a popular media player and you can use it on different operating systems. Do you know how to clear Kodi data when necessary and what happens if you clear data on Kodi? If you accidentally cleared data on it, how to get them back? This MiniTool article shows the answers you want to know.
In this article, we will show you some Kodi-related information, including:
- What is Kodi?
- How to clear data on Kodi?
- How to recover accidentally cleared data on Kodi using MiniTool?
You can just access the corresponding section to find the answer you want to know.
What Is Kodi?
Kodi, which is formerly known as XBMC, is a free and open-source media player application. It is developed by XBMC/Kodi Foundation that is a non-profit technology consortium.
Kodi can be used on different operating systems like Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, and more. It features a 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls. And it allows you to play and view most videos, music, pictures, games, podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage media, as well as the internet.
In Kodi, all the added files are well organized. The files are categorized by type. You can even see which files are newly added and which files are unwatched. When you want to watch the files in it, you can just open it and select the target file from the corresponding category quickly. It is really a very popular and welcomed media player.
All in all, Kodi is just a media player like Windows Media Player. But, it is more powerful because it supports more file types and allows you to install add-ons. You can even play games on it.
If you encounter the problem with Windows Media Player not working on Windows 10, then you should read this post to find some useful methods.
Now, you know what Kodi is. Why not try it to organize your media files and play them conveniently.
How to Clear Data on Kodi?
After using Kodi for a long time, there should be some old data, add-ons, and some other bits and codes that are no longer needed. These files can not only make your Kodi chaotic but also cause some errors to your Kodi.
In a situation like this, you’d better clear out all the old data on Kodi and then perform a refresh start. Uninstalling Kodi is not a good idea because it can’t delete all user data. You need to reset Kodi to clear the old data or get rid of the errors in Kodi.
You need to use a third-party utility to clean Kido and perform a fresh start. In this part, we will show you how to clean Kodi with a step-by-step guide.
Then, you can follow these steps to clear Kodi data and then perform a fresh start:
1. Open Kodi.
2. Click the System Settings icon that is at the top-left side to continue.
3. Click File manager from the pop-out menu to continue.
4. Another window pops up. You need to double-click the left Add source option to continue.
5. Click None from the pop-up Add file source interface to continue.
6. There will be another pop-out interface. You need to enter the URL: http://dimitrology.com/repo and then click OK.
7. When you go back to the Add file source interface, you need to click the Enter a name for this media source section and then name the file as Dimitrology.
8. Click OK to go back to the Add file source interface.
9. Click OK to keep the settings if you are sure everything is OK.
10. Click the top-left side of the software twice to go back to the software’s main interface.
11. Click Add-ons from the left menu.
12. Click the Add-on Package Installer icon that is at the top left side of the interface.
13. Click the Install from zip file option to continue.
14. An interface will pop up. Then, you need to select Dimitrology to continue.
15. Select the plugin.video.freshstart-1.0.5.zip file and click OK to continue.
16. You need to wait for a while and then you can see a statement pops out from the top-right side of the interface, saying Fresh Start Add-on installed.
17. Click the top-left side of the interface to go back to the Add-ons interface.
18. Click the Program add-ons option from the left menu and then click Fresh Start.
19. You will receive a Fresh Start window saying Do you wish to restore your Kodi configuration to default settings? Here, you need to click Yes to continue.
20. It will take some minutes to finish the whole data clean process. When it ends, click OK on the pop-up window.
21. Close Kodi and restart it. Then, you can discover that all the old data on Kodi is gone. You can use Kodi as a newly-installed one.
This is the guide on how to clear Kodi data to remove the old files or fix some errors when using Kodi. If you think it is useful, you can press the following button to share it with your friends on Twitter.
If You Accidentally Cleared Data on Kodi
The above part shows you how to clear data on Kodi to reset it as a new one. In most cases, you just do the job to fix some issues. But, what if you accidentally cleared data on Kodi?
Indeed, you do not have to worry too much.
If you accidentally clear data on Kodi, you can add it again to your Kodi from the local or network storage media. However, if these files are also deleted from the original location, things will be a little complex. You will need to use professional data recovery software to get them back.
You can try this free file recovery tool: MiniTool Power Data Recovery. This software is specially designed to recover all kinds of files from your computer hard drives, memory cards, SD cards, USB sticks, CD/DVD discs, and more.
As long as the lost or deleted files are not overwritten by new data, you can use this software to rescue them. So, when you find your needed files get lost, you should stop using the storage media as soon as possible. Otherwise, these files may be overwritten and become unrecoverable.
This software has a trial edition. You can use it to scan your storage media to check whether it can find the files you want to recover. But, you can’t use this trial edition to recover your needed files. You need to use a full edition to do the work.
Now, you can press the following button to get the trial edition of this software and then install it on your computer.
Next, you can use this software to scan the drive that has saved the deleted files.
How to Recover Deleted Files from Storage Media for Your Kodi?
1. Open MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
2. This software will directly enter the This PC interface where you can see all the available drives that are connected to your computer. But, you can discover that it still has three other recovery modules: Removable Disk Drive, Hard Disk Drive, and CD/DVD Drive.
Which recovery module is the most suitable one for you to get your data back?
- We recommend you to use the This PC module to recover data from your computer internal hard drive and external hard drive. But, if you have repartitioned the drive after file deletion, you’d better use the Hard Disk Drive module because it allows you to scan the whole drive once.
- However, if you want to get your lost and deleted data back from a removable disk drive, you’d better use the Removable Disk Drive module since it is specially designed to rescue your files from an SD card, memory card, USB flash drive, etc. On the other hand, it also allows you to scan the whole drive if you have portioned the drive.
Here, we take This PC as an example. You need to select the drive that has contained your needed files and then click the Scan button to make this software scan the drive.
With MiniTool data recovery, SD card recovery is no longer difficult. Now, you can read this post to learn how to deal with different SD card data loss issues.
3. This software will take some minutes to scan the selected drive. The scanning time depends on how many files are saved on the drive. You need to wait patiently until the whole scanning process ends to guarantee the scan effect.
When it ends, you can see the scan results which are categorized by path. Usually, you will see many paths and you need to open each path to find the files you want to recover. However, it is not an easy job to quickly find out your needed files because there are so many scanned files.
In a situation like this, you can use these three features of this software to locate your needed files quickly:
- Type: After clicking Type, this software will display the scanned files by type. Then, you can access the corresponding type folder to quickly find your needed files.
- Show Lost Files: After clicking this button, this software will only show you the lost files on the drive. This can narrow down the search range and save time for you.
- Find: If you still remember the name of the file you want to recover, you can use this feature to directly locate the target file. But, this method can’t work all the time. If the name of the file has been damaged, this method will be unavailable.
As mentioned above, you are not allowed to use this trial edition to recover the scanned files. If this software can find the files you want to recover, you can then upgrade it to a full edition and then recover your needed files to a suitable location.
You can go to the MiniTool Store to select a suitable edition. If you are a personal user, the Personal Ultimate edition can fully meet your requirement.
What is Kodi? How to clean Kodi data to get rid of errors? What happens if I clear data on Kodi? How to recover data if I accidentally cleared data on Kodi? After reading this article, we believe that you will find the answers you want to know.
Should you have any related questions when using Kodi or MiniTool software, you can contact us via [email protected], or let us know in the comment. You can also share your suggestions with us.