Most people know well about the function of a Recycle Bin in a Windows system (Windows 10, Windows 11, or another system) – it’s used to store deleted items temporarily. But where is the Recycle Bin in Windows 10? Do you know it exactly? MiniTool Solution offers this page to show you how to find Recycle Bin in Windows 10 step by step.
Where Is the Recycle Bin in Windows 10
Microsoft designed trash for its systems to keep items that have been set aside by users for deletion and named this unit as Recycle Bin. Recycle Bin, the current trash system of Microsoft has been introduced in 1995 with Windows 95. Files and folders deleted from a Windows computer will be sent to the Recycle Bin and they will be kept there for a while unless Recycle Bin reaches its limit or users empty the Recycle Bin. In short, Windows Recycle Bin offers users a second chance to get back the mistakenly deleted data with ease.
In this post, we will show you what Realtek Audio Console is and how to download Realtek Audio Console on Windows 10 and Windows 11.
Windows 10 Recycle Bin Location
Where is Windows 10 Recycle Bin?
Some users are asking: “where is my Recycle Bin”, “where is the Recycle Bin in Windows 10”, “how to find Recycle Bin”, etc. Such questions are easy to answer – it’s on your desktop!!
The Recycle Bin is put on the desktop by Windows systems. Generally, you can see the Recycle Bin icon (Recycle Bin shortcut) easily every time you booted into Windows successfully. The default Windows 10 trash location is in the upper left corner of your PC screen.
Please read the content in this link to learn more about the Windows 11 Recycle Bin icon.
How to Find & Open Recycle Bin Windows 10
After telling you “where is Recycle Bin”, I’d like to walk you through some tips on how to find Recycle Bin in Windows 10?
As mentioned earlier, the most direct way to find Windows 10 Recycle Bin is to locate the Recycle Bin desktop icon at the top left part of the desktop computer/laptop screen. The most direct way to open Recycle Bin on Windows 10 is by using the desktop icon.
- Double click on the Recycle Bin icon on your desktop to access it.
- Select the Recycle Bin desktop icon and press Enter on your keyboard.
- Right click on the Recycle Bin icon and select Open from the context menu you see.
There are some other ways that people usually use to find and open Recycle Bin on a Windows 10 computer.
In this post, we will show you how to download Rufus 3.19 for Windows 11 and Windows 10, and the new features in this new version.
Method one: search for Recycle Bin on Windows 10.
- Click on the search icon/box on the taskbar or press Windows + S to open the Windows search window.
- Type recycle bin into the Type here to search textbox.
- Click on the Recycle Bin App from the search result.
Method two: open Recycle Bin from File Explorer.
- Open File Explorer on your computer as you usually do. The easiest way is to press Windows + E.
- Type recycle bin into the address bar at the top.
- Press Enter and the Recycle Bin will be opened immediately.
You can also click on the arrow before Quick access and select Recycle Bin from the drop-down list.
Method three: access Recycle Bin Windows 10 using Run.
- Right click on the Start icon (in the bottom left corner).
- Select Run from the pop-up menu. You can also press Windows + R to open the Run dialog directly.
- Type explorer.exe shell:RecycleBinFolder.
- Click on the OK button or press Enter.
You can also type shell:desktop into the textbox after Open in the Run dialog. Then, press Enter -> browse the items and locate Recycle Bin -> double click on the Recycle Bin icon or right click on it & select Open/Open in new window.
This post will tell you how to download and install Windows 11 on Arm with ISO, as well as some related information about Windows Arm-based PCs.
Method four: open the Recycle Bin from PowerShell.
- Press Windows + X to open the WinX menu.
- Select Windows PowerShell.
- Type start shell:RecycleBinFolder and press Enter.
Please don’t be worried when you find the WinX menu is not working since it can be fixed easily in several ways.
In addition, if you have added Recycle Bin as a shortcut to the Start menu, taskbar, or File Explorer in Windows 10, you can open it directly by clicking on the icon.
Recycle Bin Icon Missing from Windows 10 Desktop
What if you can't find Recycle Bin on the desktop? In other words, the Recycle Bin icon is disappeared from Windows 10 desktop.
Situation 1: all desktop icons are disappeared.
If all the icons are missing from your desktop, try this way to fix it.
- Right click on any blank section on your desktop.
- Select the View option from the context menu.
- If there’s no checkmark in front of the Show desktop icons option, please click on it to add one.
- Your desktop icons will be back at once.
You can also repeat this process to hide Recycle Bin Windows 10 and other icons when necessary.
In this post, we will talk about the first preview build for Windows 10 22H2, Windows 10 Build 19045.1865. It is available in the Windows Insider Program now.
Situation 2: only the Recycle Bin desktop icon is disappeared.
If you only lose the Recycle Bin on the desktop, you should consider it’s been hidden somehow. Follow this to check:
- Press Windows + I to open the Settings app.
- Select Personalization from the Settings window. Also, you can right click on a blank area on the desktop and select Personalize.
- Navigate to the Themes option in the left pane.
- Scroll down in the right pane to locate the Related Settings section.
- Click on the Desktop icon settings link under it. This will open the Desktop Icon Settings window.
- View the Desktop icons to check whether the Recycle Bin option is checked. If it’s not, please click on it and then click on the OK button to confirm.
Open the Desktop Icon Settings window and uncheck the Recycle Bin can help you hide the Recycle Bin desktop icon again.
Attention: Windows will not display your desktop icons if you’re in tablet mode.
Microsoft designed Windows 10 to run on both desktop and mobile devices. Your computer may be shifted to Tablet Mode, which doesn’t show desktop icons. Therefore, you should go to check whether you’re in tablet mode or not by these steps:
- Click on the Start button in the lower left corner of your computer screen or press the Start button (with a Windows logo on it) on your keyboard.
- Navigate to the Settings icon (looks like a gear) and click on it.
- Choose System from the Settings window.
- Select Tablet Mode from the left-side panel.
- Look for the Hide app icons on the taskbar in tablet mode and Automatically hide the taskbar in tablet mode options in the right-side panel.
- Make sure these 2 options are turned off. If they are set to On, please flip the switch to Off.
How to Show Recycle Bin Windows 10
What else to do when you can't find Recycle Bin? You may as well try to show it in the File Explorer or try to pin it to your Start menu/taskbar for easier access.
How to Show Recycle Bin in File Explorer
- Open File Explorer any way you like.
- Right click on any blank section in the left pane.
- Click Show all folders from the context menu you see.
- Then, the Recycle Bin option will appear in the left pane.
How to Pin Recycle Bin Shortcut
How to pin Recycle Bin to your Start menu:
- Make the Recycle Bin icon appear on your desktop.
- Right click on Recycle Bin and select Pin to Start.
- The Recycle Bin shortcut will be added to your Start menu.
Then, you can open the Start menu to view Recycle Bin by clicking on the Start button at the bottom left or pressing the Start (Windows logo) button on the keyboard.
In this post, we will show you how to check if your PC is compatible with Windows 22H2 using Registry Editor on Windows 10 and Windows 11 21H2.
How to pin Recycle Bin to taskbar:
- Right click on your taskbar.
- Look for the Lock the taskbar If it's checked, please click to uncheck it.
- Right click on the blank section on your desktop.
- Select New -> Folder.
- Rename the folder as Recycle Bin.
- Drag your Recycle Bin icon into this folder.
- Right click on the taskbar and select Toolbars -> New toolbar.
- Navigate to the created Recycle Bin folder and click Select Folder.
- The Recycle Bin shortcut will be added to your taskbar.
Then, you can right click on the Recycle Bin shortcut and click Show Text & Show title to uncheck them to show only the Recycle Bin icon on the taskbar.
If you encounter Windows 11/10 installation failed error 0x800F0830-0x20003, you can use the methods mentioned in this post to solve the problem.
$Recycle.Bin Folder Windows 10
Another aspect of the Recycle Bin location is the location of the $Recycle.Bin folder. What is the $Recycle.Bin folder? Where is the $Recycle.Bin folder on your Windows 10 computer? How to find view the folder named $Recycle.Bin?
What Is $Recycle.Bin
Users said they sometimes see the $Recycle.Bin or $RECYCLE.BIN folder on a local drive or external hard disk. What does it mean? The $Recycle.Bin folder is a built-in feature to allow Windows user to recover their deleted files or folders. The $Recycle.Bin is an important system folder so that it’s hidden by default. That is to say, users can’t see this folder on Windows 10 unless the settings are changed (manually or by applications).
The $Recycle.Bin folder exists on each drive of your disk - C:, D: E:, etc. It’s the location where your deleted items are kept on the drive. The $Recycle.Bin works the same way as your Recycle Bin icon: you can drag files and folders directly into this folder or restore deleted items from it easily.
How to Show $Recycle.Bin Folder
Where is my Recycle Bin? The $Recycle.Bin folder is hidden by default in your system, so you need to change the folder options first to view it.
- Press Windows + S.
- Type File Explorer Options and press Enter.
- Shift to the View tab at the top.
- Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) option.
- Click Yes in the Warning window to confirm.
- Click OK.
- Then, you can see the $Recycle.Bin folder in File Explorer.
How to Recreate Recycle Bin on Desktop
- Press Windows + E to open File Explorer.
- Select Local Disk (C:).
- Right click on $Recycle.Bin.
- Select Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut).
In this post, we will show you what Realtek HD Audio Manager is and is it necessary to install Realtek HD Audio Manager on your Windows 10/11 device.
How to Repair Recycle Bin
How do you fix it when the Recycle Bin folder is damaged or corrupted somehow?
- Press Windows + S.
- Type cmd.
- Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Type rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.Bin and press Enter.
- Also, you can execute these commands one by one: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, and sfc /scannow.
That’s all about where is Recycle Bin in Windows 10.
Can You Recover Deleted Files on Windows 10
Don’t worry if you have deleted files on Windows 10 and then find they are still useful or lost your important folders due to a virus attack or other reasons. You can first go to check the Recycle Bin; then, get a third-party data recovery tool to help you if needed.
In this post, we will tell you what Realtek USB GbE Family Controller is and how to download and install it on your Windows 10/11 computer.
How to Recover Deleted Data from Recycle Bin
Step 1: open Recycle Bin on your Windows 10 computer.
- Double click on the Recycle Bin desktop icon.
- Select Recycle Bin and press Enter.
- Right click on Recycle Bin and choose Open.
Step 2: restore deleted files (images, documents, photos, videos, etc.).
- Select the items you want to recover, right click on them, and select Restore.
- Select the items you want to recover and drag & drop them to the location where you want them to be.
Recycle Bin recovery seems quite difficult for us if the Recycle Bin is emptied or the files are further deleted from it; but, it is not the case.
How to Recover Deleted/Lost Data That You Can’t Find in Recycle Bin
What if you have emptied the Recycle Bin or can’t find needed files there? Please download a powerful data recovery tool that supports Windows 10 and then install it properly on your device.
MiniTool Power Data Recovery is a good choice for users of common Windows systems: Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7. (If you want to recover deleted files on Mac, please get Stellar Data Recovery for Mac instead.)
Then, finish these simple steps to recover deleted videos, documents, or images.
- Launch the recovery tool.
- Keep This PC selected in the left sidebar and Logical Drives selected in the right panel.
- Specify the drive on which your deleted files were saved before deletion.
- Double click on the target drive to start a scan immediately and then wait.
- Browse the scan results: the deleted items will be kept in the Deleted Files folder.
- Check the files and folders you want to recover and click on the Save button at the bottom right.
- Select a storage path for the files waiting to be recovered and click OK to confirm.
- Wait for the recovery to finish completely.
Please click here if you want to know more about recovering permanently deleted files.
Customize Your Windows 10 Recycle Bin According to Needs
Why some files are sent to Recycle Bin while others are not? The main reasons are:
- The files are too large for the Recycle Bin.
- Files deleted from external disks will not be sent to Recycle Bin.
- Users set the system to remove files immediately.
Besides, if the total size of files in Recycle Bin exceeds the maximum size limit, some files will be removed from Recycle Bin automatically.
You can use Rufus 3.19 to install Windows 11 22H2 without a Microsoft account on a new device. Here is the related information.
How to change Recycle Bin size limit or tell the system not to put files to Recycle Bin?
- Right click on the Recycle Bin desktop icon.
- Select Properties.
- Specify a Recycle Bin Location.
- Locate the Settings for selected location Then, check Custom size (you can manage the maximum size manually) or Don’t move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted.
- Click OK to confirm.
Besides, you can choose to Display delete confirmation dialog or not by checking/unchecking this option at the bottom.
Recycle Bin is a very important unit in Windows 10 and other operating systems; it’s used to keep your deleted items for a while unless you may need to restore them someday. This post shows you where is the Recycle Bin in Windows 10, how to show or pin the Recycle Bin on Windows 10, what is the $Recycle.Bin folder, and how to recover deleted files on Windows 10. Please read the part you’re interested in with care.