Seagate st500lt012-1dg142 is the topic discussed in this post. After reading the post, you will know st500lt012 specs and other information about the hard drive.
A Brief Introduction to Seagate ST500LT012-1DG142
As it is known to all, there are plenty of hard drive brands with various capacities on the drive market. Therefore, you may wonder which should I buy. When you are determined to buy a certain capacity hard drive, then choosing a suitable drive will be much easier.
For instance, if you want to purchase a 500GB hard drive, Seagate st500lt012-1dg142 is strongly recommended. Here, MiniTool will respectively introduce its general information (such as the disk family, capacity) and specific information (write/read speed, physical features) to you.
-image from seagate.com
ST500LT012-1DG142 is one of the three standard models (the other two are ST500LT012 – 1DG14C and ST500LT012 – 1DG141) of Seagate. It belongs to Momentus Thin 500LT012 disk family. It is an HDD, which can meet your computing demands just like SSD.
You can get more information about differences between SSD and HDD in this post. More importantly, you can make a wise choice -which one you should use in PC.
With 500GB (500* 1000 000 000 bytes) capacity, it enables you to store some space-consuming files. What is its disk interface? How about its performance? After reading the following section, you will get the answers.
The specifications of st500lt012 1dg142 can be divided into 5 parts. They are basic information, interface provided, hard drive parameters, performance of the hard drive, header of the hard drive respectively. Now, let’s explore them one by one.
- Device type: internal hard drive
- Bytes per sector: 4096Hz
- Buffer-host max. rate: 300MB per seconds
- Buffer size: 16MB
- Drive ready time (typical): 3 seconds
- Width: 69.85mm (2.75inch)
- Depth: 100.35mm (3.95inch)
- Height: 7mm (0.28inch)
- Weight: 95grams (0.21 pounds)
- Acoustic (idle): 2.3 Bel
- Acoustic (min performance and volume): 2.5 Bel
- Acoustic (max performance and volume): 3.0 Bel
- Required power for spinup: 1200 mA
- Power required (seek): 2.4W
- Power required (idle): 1.2 W
- Power required (standby): 0.36W
- Manufacturer: Seagate
- Qty: 1
- Connector type: 7 pin Serial ATA
- Interface: SATA 3Gb/s
- Storage interface: Serial ATA-300
Hard Drive Parameters:
- Form factor (short): 2.5″
- Form factor (metric): 6.4cm
- Form factor (short)(metric): 6.4cm
- Data transfer rate: 300MBps (external)
- Features: Advanced format technology, native command queuing (NCQ), QuietStep, Ramp Load
- Non-recoverable errors: 1 per 10^14
- Start /Stop cycles: 600000
- Min operating temperature: 32 °F
- Max: operating temperature: 140 °F
Performance of the Hard Drive:
- Average seek time: 12ms
- Track to track seek time: 1.5ms
- Max seek time: 9.5ms
- Drive transfer rate: 300 MBps (external)
- Spindle speed: 5400rpm
Header of the Hard Drive:
- Number of disks: 1
- Number of heads: 2
- Rotation time:11.11ms
- Product line: Seagate Momentus Thin
- Model: st500lt012
- Compatibility: PC
Read here, you may have a rough understanding of the Seagate st500lt012-1dg142. What advantages and disadvantages it has compared with other similar hard drives? The next part will talk about this topic.
Strengths and Weaknesses of Seagate ST500LT012-1DG142
The professional hard drive analysis website UserBenchmark concludes some results. The average benchmark of Seagate Momentus Thin st500lt012 1dg142 is 59.6% lower than the average hard drive benchmark.
It has an average consistency. The range of scores (95th – 5th percentile) for the Seagate Momentus Thin 5400.9 2.5″ 500GB is 48.7%, which is a relatively wide range. That indicates the Seagate Momentus Thin 5400.9 2.5″ 500GB performs inconsistently under varying actual conditions.
Its sequential mixed IO speed is only 38.2MB/s, while the 4k random write speed is 0.67MB/s. This is not good enough compared with other similar hard drives. In fact, this is a weakness of the drive. However, it works well in other aspects. For instance, its average 4k random mixed IO speed reaches 0.5MB/s and the average sequential read speed reaches 75.8MB/s.
In fact, each hard drive has its own strengths and weaknesses. The key point is that what you need. For example, you need fast write/speed but you have to forgive other flaws of the drive. It is suggested that you make a comparison before purchasing one. After that, pick one that satisfies your demands at most with least flaws.
After reading the post, you may have a comprehensive understanding of the hard drive st500lt012 1dg142. You can either to choose it or not.