Glossary of Terms – USB 3.0 [MiniTool Wiki]
What Is USB 3.0?
USB 3.0 is an interface for connection and communication between computers and external devices, enabling plug-and-play connectivity for smooth operation of computers and external devices.
The Development of USB Interface
The first version of USB interface is USB 1.0 released in 1996. It only allows data transmission rate to be 12Mbit/s at Full Speed. USB 2.0 was launched in 2000 and it delivers a higher data transfer rate which is reaching up to 480MB/s. In 2008, USB 3.0 had its first appearance. The data transfer rate of USB 3.0 reaches up to 5Gbit/s.
Introduction of USB 3.0
USB 3.0 maintains full backward compatibility with USB 2.0 ports and device, but USB 3.0-related functions can be used only when a USB 3.0-related hardware device is installed in the computer. USB 3.0 satisfies people's need for a wider media application over an Internet connection and provides a very simple way to connect.
There are four types of USB 3.0 connectors:
The male connector on the USB 3.0 attached to the cable is called the plug, and the female connector mounted on the host or the device is called the receptacle or port.
USB 3.0 Type-A is a rectangular USB connector, which is the same as the plug at the end of the flash drive. USB 3.0 Type-A can be used normally on both USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 connection.
USB 3.0 Type-B is a square connector with a large notch at the top. The USB 3.0 Type-B plug is only suitable for USB 3.0 Type-B port, but the plugs of previous version are all fit for USB 3.0 Type-B port.
USB 3.0 Micro-A is divided into two rectangular sections, and the USB 3.0 Micro-A plug is only compatible with the USB 3.0 Micro-AB ports.
USB 3.0 Micro-B connector is also divided into two rectangular sections, and the USB 3.0 Micro-B plug is only available for USB 3.0 Micro-B and USB 3.0 Micro-AB ports.
Comparisons of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0
After knowing what USB 3.0 is, do you know what the differences are between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0? Now I will list some differences between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.
- Data transfer rate: USB 3.0 transmission speed is 10 times faster than USB 2.0.
- Power management: USB 3.0 enables devices connected to your computer to go into sleep mode when not in use. In addition, The USB 3.0 interface has a power supply of 0.9 A while USB 2.0 only has a 0.5 A.
- Price: Most USB 3.0 is more expensive than USB 2.0
- Appearance: Normally, the internal port of USB 3.0 is blue, and the inside of USB 2.0 port is black or gray.
- Backward compatibility: When the USB 3.0 drive is connected to the USB 3.0 port, the drive can be used normally. The USB 3.0 drive can also be used with the USB 2.0 interface, but the transfer speed will be slower.
- Maximum cable length: USB 3.0 cable is only 3 meters, USB 2.0 cable can up to 5 meters
- Number of wires in the cable: 9 for USB 3.0 and 4 for USB 2.0
- Bandwidth: USB 3.0 has two independent one-way data paths, one for sending data and one for receiving data, so USB 3.0 can upload and download files at the same time. But USB 2.0 has only one data path, so transfer and receive data can only go through the same path, therefore you can only transfer data before downloading data or vice versa.
The Problem of Radio Frequency Interference
Although there are a lot of advantages of USB 3.0, it has a disadvantage that many people cannot accept. That is, when using USB 3.0, it will interfere with wireless devices operating on the 2.4 GHz ISM band. This type of interference can cause the range of signals received by the wireless device to be reduced, so it may cause the wireless device to fail to function properly. In addition, the closer the wireless device is to USB 3.0, the greater the interference.
However, the wideband noise generated by this USB 3.0 cannot be removed by filtering, so the only thing you can do is to install a shield design around USB 3.0 to ensure the normal use of the wireless device.
USB 3.0 Market
With the development of modern computer technology becoming faster and faster, people hope that data uploading and downloading speed is getting quicker and quicker, so the market of USB3.0 will get better and better. In addition, we can now easily see the USB interface on mobile hard disk, mobile phones, USB flash drive, printers and other electronic products, so the development prospects of USB3.0 will be better and better.
Maybe you also want to know USB 3.0 flash drive market, please click here.