Digital cameras have been booming in the past few decades and it has attracted plenty of people to use it for photo taking. But the fact is the memory of camera is so limited that it is filled up quickly. In this case, a reliable external hard drive is needed for photographers to transfer the photos or backup images.
In recent years, as the pixels go up and the price goes down, taking photos with camera is becoming more and more routine. Thus, the number of photographs people take has skyrocketed. An important thing to consider at this time is how to manage digital files properly. You may think of memory card, but external hard drive is actually a better choice due to its large capacity and stability. So what are the best external hard drives for photographers? Please keep reading.
Best External Hard Drives for Photographers 2019
If you find your shooting is filling the storage of camera and computer too quickly, it's time to invest in a portable hard drive. The three main usages of a portable hard disk are:
- Travelling drives for photographers: travel photographers are usually away from home for several weeks, so it becomes very essential to keep photos in camera safe on the road.
- Backup drives for important files: whether you are a photographer, camera enthusiast, or someone who often deals with large amounts of data, an external hard drive is needed to backup files that are valuable for you.
- External storage for laptop or other devices: when the internal drive of your laptop or other devices is full, you can purchase an external hard drive to extend storage.
Sometimes the external hard drive won’t be recognized by your computer; you can’t see it on PC. This post tells how to recover files from external hard drive not detected:
The problem – external hard drive not showing up/recognized/detected – can be fixed easily by following ways.
Well, how to choose the best external hard drives for photographers?
What to Consider When Buying External Hard Drive
There are mainly 3 aspects you need to focus on in order to get the most reliable external hard drive.
You should first take capacity into consideration since the photos taken by cameras are often in large RAW file sizes which will take up a lot of disk space. The minimum capacity you should look at is 500GB. If you have enough budget, then the bigger the capacity, the better.
Since you need to manage and transfer a large number of files, speed is also an important factor to consider when choosing the best external hard drive for photos. In this aspect, solid state drive may be a better choice because its speed is faster than traditional hard drives. But what disappoints many users is that SSD is far more expensive.
Security is also very crucial factor to consider when buying an external hard drive. Only the hard drives with high safely are able to protect your photos well. Besides, you can also enable encryption to secure your drive manually.
Tip: the cloud storage develops fast these years and attracts many people to use due to its convenience.
There are some of the best budget external hard drives:
- WD My Book Duo 4TB external hard drive
- G-Technology 4TB G-Drive USB 3.0 desktop external hard drive
- G-Technology ArmorATD All-Terrain Drive
- iStorage diskAshur PRO2 256-bit 2TB USB 3.1 external hard drive
- Transcend StoreJet 25M3
- WD My Passport series
You could lose files from your WD external hard drive all of a sudden. Please don’t get panic; just read this page to know how to recover the lost files easily and quickly:
The WD external hard drive data recovery can be finished more easily than you thought it should be. You only need to download MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
That’s all about the best external hard drives for photographers. Click here to see the best external hard drive 2018 list.