Playing games is one of the most effective ways to relax. Users like to play games by using game consoles or on a computer. However, they may sometimes encounter problems, which will stop them from playing games successfully. This page offered by MiniTool shows you why Windows 11 can't play games and the corresponding fixes for it.
Can't Play Games on Windows 11
While you are enjoying the new features, interfaces, and improvements in Windows 11, you also need to suffer from the problems brought by the new system. Though Microsoft said Windows 11 was made for gamers and it will offer the best gaming experience, some users still found their Windows 11 can't play games. What happened? Can you fix this issue yourself?
The Virtualization-Based Security (VBS) is introduced to Windows systems since Windows 10. It uses hardware virtualization features to enhance the security of your system by creating and isolating a secure region of memory from the normal operating system. However, it could lead to a reduction in game frame rate. Besides, if you try to play old games on Windows 11, you may fail. What’s more, you can’t play games like Valorant if you don’t have a CPU with TPM 2.0 support.
Windows 11 Game Problems
I had recently upgraded to the Windows 11 insider build to see what the noise was about. I love everything new and the faster boot time but for some reason all Xbox games performed worse after the upgrade. I understand that the build is still in beta but I wanted to know why only games installed off the Microsoft store/Xbox app performed so bad. Games off Steam, Epic, etc. performed perfectly fine. If this is just a windows 11 issue then that is completely understandable. I had tried to play 2 games recently and each one suffered from different problems.- said JohnMatthews_ in Microsoft Community
What to do when the game is crashing, freezing, not working, or not performing good on Windows 11? Please refer to the following methods.
How to Fix Windows 11 Games Not Working
Troubleshoot Windows 11 Games Problems
If you run into games problems on Windows 11 - Windows 11 games crashing, Windows 11 games freezing, and more, please try the following quick fixes and methods one by one.
- Get the programs and software required by the games you want to play.
- Check the game requirements and configure your PC properly.
Method 1: update graphics card driver.
- Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Select Windows Update in the left pane.
- Click Check for updates in the right pane.
- Wait for the update process to finish.
Also, you can also expand Advanced options and click Optional updates to install graphics related drivers. Besides, please go to the website of the graphics card manufacturer; then, download and install the latest driver manually.
Method 2: edit video performance settings.
- Press Windows + S to open Windows search.
- Type View advanced system settings and press Enter.
- Shift to the Advanced tab.
- Click on the Settings button under Performance.
- Go to the Data Execution Prevention tab in the pop-up window.
- Check Turn on DEP for all programs except those I select.
- Click Add -> browse the games you want to play -> select the executable files of games -> click Open.
Method 3: perform a SFC scan.
- Press Windows + S.
- Type cmd.
- Select Run as administrator under Command Prompt.
- Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
This page will show you how to recover files using CMD easily. You can recover data from USB pen drive, hard disk or other storage devices by command line.
In addition, you can try to fix the problem by uninstalling and reinstalling the problematic games.
Run Old Games on Windows 11
Method 1: use compatibility mode.
- Right click on the game shortcut.
- Select Properties.
- Shift to Compatibility.
- Click Run compatibility troubleshooter.
- Please check Run this program in compatibility mode for if you need to select a specific operating system manually.
- Click OK and try to play the game again.
Besides, you can try to download the game from Microsoft Store, manufacturer’s official website, or third-party game platforms. Please pay attention to these things: make sure your games are installed properly; update graphics drivers regularly; disable antivirus programs; remove unnecessary software.
- How To Use The New Microsoft Store In Windows 11?
- [Fixed 2022] Microsoft Store App Keeps Crashing In Windows 11.
That’s all about how to troubleshoot Windows 11 can't play games.