Even a large monitor is not enough when you are opening too many windows on the desktop. The windows will be in a mess and it increases the difficulty for you to find what you need exactly. Therefore, dual monitor setup is needed. This post of MiniTool shows you how to change primary monitor on Windows 10 laptop or desktop when necessary.
What is monitor?
In short, a monitor is an output device connected to computer to display information. Without monitor, you can’t see anything and it’s impossible to interact with your computer.
How to Change Primary Monitor
Too many programs, apps, and windows are opening on the desktop of a desktop/laptop, making it hard to find the things you need directly. Do you have similar experience? If yes, you need to setup dual monitor for better productivity. Luckily, modern desktops and laptops are equipped with the graphics capability to run dual displays. The following content will show you how to set up dual monitors (in brief) and how to change primary monitor (in detail) on Windows 10.
Set up Dual Monitors on Windows 10
Steps on how to set up dual monitors Windows 10:
- Make sure the cables are connected to the monitors properly.
- Press Windows + I to open Settings window.
- Select System and make sure Display is chosen in the left side.
- Please click Detect to connect to older displays not appeared. (This can be skipped.)
- Select an option from the drop-down menu of Multiple displays.
- Click Keep changes.
You should get a data recovery tool at hand in case of any unexpected computer problems and data loss issues.
How to Change Primary Monitor Windows 10
After connecting two monitors correctly, users will ask how to change monitor number how to change main display in Windows 10. Take it easy; let’s tackle how to change which monitor is primary in 2 ways (they work for both laptop & desktop).
Way 1: Change Display Settings
- Right click on any blank area on your desktop.
- Select Display settings from the pop-up menu. (You can also repeat step 1 ~3 mentioned in previous part.)
- Scroll down and make a decision on which monitor to choose.
- Specify monitor 1 & monitor 2 and check Make this my main display.
- Click on the Apply button and then the selected monitor will become your primary monitor.
You are also allowed to set monitor display style and set monitor resolution there.
- Set monitor display style: click to expand the Multiple displays drop-down list -> choose from Duplicate these displays, Extend these displays, Show only 1, and Show only 2 -> click Apply.
- Set monitor resolution: click on the Advanced display settings link -> click to expand the Resolution drop-down menu -> choose a desired resolution -> click Apply.
In this post, we will show you how to add the Control Panel icon to desktop on Windows 10/11 and some other related information.
Way 2: Turn to GPU Utilities
How to change monitor 1 to monitor 2 Windows 10 when make this my main display greyed out? Don’t worry; you can get help from GPU utilities.
Most GPUs can collaborate with graphics software to make the most of your monitor; they can make changes to Windows 10 monitor settings. Let’s take NVIDIA Control Panel as an example.
- Download & open NVIDIA Control Panel. (This step can be skipped.)
- Look for the Display column in the left pane. Make sure to expand it if it’s not.
- Choose Set up multiple displays under it.
- Browse the display number in the right pane and right-click on the one you want to use as the primary.
- Click Make primary to confirm the changes.
- After that, click on the Apply button to continue.
- Click Yes to confirm again before the changes take effect.