Battery is very essential for electronic devices like your mobile phone and laptop. You can configure your computer to enable the remaining battery time so that you can know clearly how much longer you can use it in real time. However, the battery life will be decreased as time goes by. To know the current status of your battery, you should check battery health.
Do You Need Battery Health Check
Battery is an important way to power electrical devices, such as laptops and mobile phones; it is indispensable. The battery capacity determines how long you can use your device after a full charge. However, your battery won’t last forever: the battery could drain in a few hours (if you’re keeping using the device), and the battery charging capabilities will be decreased by time. A battery health check is necessary for you to determine whether you need to charge your battery or replace it with a new one.
How do you check battery health on Windows or Mac laptop? The detailed steps will be mentioned later in this article.
Battery Life vs. Battery Health
Though people tend to confuse battery life & battery health and think of them as the same, there are actually different.
- Battery life: battery life is also known as battery remaining time. It refers to the amount of time that your device could run before it needs to be recharged. It determines how long your battery lasts on a single charge.
- Battery health: battery health is also called battery lifespan, meaning the status of your current battery. It refers to the amount of time your battery can last until it needs to be replaced. It determines how much the battery life decreases over time.
How to check laptop battery health? The following part tells all. (Click here to know more about Dell battery test.)
Your laptop may be very slow, unresponsive, and even freezing. Do you know why your laptop is slow and how to fix it?
How to Check Battery Health Windows 10
Do you want to check battery health Windows 10? Do you know how to test laptop battery? Please read these two simple ways mentioned below.
Generate Energy Report
- Open Windows search box by pressing Windows + S.
- Type cmd and you’ll see Command Prompt.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to run it as administrator.
- Click Yes in the User Account Control window.
- Type powercfg/energy and press Enter.
- Wait for a while (about 1 minute) and you’ll see an energy report of your battery.
- An HTML report file will be generated and saved on your laptop.
How to access the energy report file:
- Copy C:\Windows\system32\energy-report.html -> press Windows + R -> paste it into the text box -> click OK or press Enter -> choose a browser to view the HTML file.
- Copy C:\Windows\system32\energy-report.html -> press Windows + E to open File Explorer -> paste the path to the address bar -> press Enter -> choose a web browser. You can also navigate to this path manually by opening C drive, Windows folder, and system32 folder.
Generate Battery Report
Steps to test laptop battery:
- Run the Command Prompt tool as an administrator.
- Type powercfg /batteryreport and press Enter.
- Wait for the process to finish.
- Open the battery report HTML file and view the information.
The default location is C:\Windows\system32\battery-report.html.
Also, you can type and run the command – powercfg /batteryreport /output “C:\battery-report.html” – using Windows PowerShell in the administrator mode.
Windows 10 Show Battery Time Remaining
Some users are wondering how much battery life do i have left. They can enable battery time remaining to find out.
- Open the Registry Editor: press Windows + R -> type regedit -> click OK.
- Copy and paste this path to the address bar: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power. Then, press Enter.
- Expand Power -> right click EnergyEstimation -> choose New -> choose DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Give it a new name: EnergyEstimationEnabled.
- Double click on EnergyEstimationEnabled and change the Value data to 1.
- Click OK and restart your Windows 10 computer.
Check Battery Health Mac
There are two methods for laptop battery test on Mac.
- Click on the Apple logo menu.
- Choose System Preferences.
- Select Battery.
- Select Battery again.
- Click Battery Health in the lower right corner.
- View the battery condition.
- Press Option while clicking on the Apple menu.
- Click System Information.
- Select Hardware and then Power in the left pane.
- Look for the Cycle Count item under Health Information in the right pane.
It will show you the accurate number of times your laptop battery has completed the battery cycle.