Does HDMI carry audio? Generally, the answer is yes. HDMI is a kind of interface used widely on computers and TVs to transmit audio and video data. However, some people find the HDMI sound not working while connecting computer to TV, monitor, or another device. This post on MiniTool shows you how to fix the problem yourself.
HDMI Sound not Working
HDMI, short for High-Definition Multimedia Interface, is actually a proprietary audio/video interface used widely on TV, monitors, computers, and other devices to transmitting audio data (compressed or uncompressed) and video data (uncompressed) smoothly. HDMI is better than similar interfaces like component video cable in picture quality, surround-sound audio, 3D support, and more aspects.
Does HDMI carry audio? Of course, yes; HDMI can carry both audio and video data easily. Why do people ask questions like this? That is because they find HDMI sound not working or HDMI audio not working. HDMI audio not working occurs frequently on Windows computer or TV; the following sections contain guides on how to fix the problem in both cases.
HDMI No Sound: Windows
If you find sound not coming through HDMI after connecting your computer to an HDMI device, please follow the methods below to solve the problem.
One: check whether you have used the correct HDMI cable for HDMI device.
Two: set HDMI the default audio device.
- Press Win + R.
- Type mmsys.cpl and click OK.
- Make sure the Playback tab is selected.
- Choose Speaker/Headphone or Speakers and Headphones (make sure the HDMI cable is plugged in).
- Click on the Set Default button.
- Select the output device connected through HDMI.
- Click on the Set Default button.
- Click on the OK button to confirm.
Three: run Windows sound troubleshooter.
- Press Win + S.
- Type troubleshoot.
- Select Troubleshoot settings.
- Scroll down the list in the right pane to select Playing Audio.
- Click on the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Wait for the problems detecting process and follow the instructions to make any changes suggested by the troubleshooter.
Other methods you should try:
- Enable all audio controllers.
- Update/roll back graphics drivers.
- Uninstall and reinstall the display audio and audio controllers.
- Check the audio settings of monitor or TV.
How to troubleshoot when there’s no sound on laptop Windows 10?
It’s easy to find many users complained about the issue: no sound on laptop Windows 10; they are bothered by it and hope to get useful methods to fix it.
HDMI to TV No Sound
If you find sound not playing through HDMI after connecting to the TV with an HDMI cable, please follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue.
Step 1: check the HDMI signal format in the settings of Android TV.
- Press the HOME button.
- Select Settings.
- Choose Watching TV -> External Inputs -> HDMI signal format -> select the proper HDMI 1 ~ 4 -> select Standard Format instead of Enhanced Format. (This step varies from TV to TV.)
Please go to change the settings for each HDMI terminal that a device is connected to.
Step 2: check the HDMI cable.
Make sure the HDMI cable is connected properly to both the source device and the TV.
Step 3: configure your TV.
Set the TV to the correct video input so as to receive signals from the source device.
Step 4: configure the source device.
Set the audio output setting of the source device to output a compatible audio signal.
Step 5: try another TV.
Remove the HDMI cable from current TV and connect it to another TV properly. This helps you confirm whether the problem comes with the source device or the HDMI cable.
Step 6: perform a power reset depending on your TV type.
Step 7: replace the HDMI cable if it has problems.
Step 8: perform a factory reset if needed.
This is how to troubleshoot HDMI no display or no sound issue.