Mac is short for Macintosh, which refers to a family of personal computers developed by Apple Inc. Just like Windows computers, Mac may also become slow suddenly due to a lot of reasons. You must want to speed up a slow Mac effectively; that’s why this post is written – to help users speed up their Mac which is running slow currently.
Why Is My Mac Running So Slow
Working or studying on a slow Mac is a terrible experience. The slow running speed will reduce your work/study efficiency, influence the system performance, cause applications corruption, and even make you get on your nerves. It’s not hard to come to a conclusion: measures should be taken in time to speed up Mac when it’s running slow. (You can get help from MiniTool Solution when running into disk/system/data problems.)
Why is my computer so slow all of a sudden? There are many potential causes for Mac running slow and Windows computer running slow.
- There are many resource-hungry applications running in the background.
- The hard drive space is going to run out (the disk is getting full).
- The operating system running on your Mac is outdated.
- The hardware on your Mac needs to be upgraded.
- Startup is slow since there’re too many things to load.
- Desktop is in a mess.
- Too many apps and windows are opening at the same time.
Please follow the tricks and tips mentioned below when you find your Mac is running slow.
Find & Close Resource-hungry Processes
Use Activity Monitor to figure out the resource allocation:
- Open Finder, select Go, and choose Utilities.
- Choose Activity Monitor.
- There will be a list showing the top applications in the last 12 hours.
- Choose a resource-hungry application under Process Name/App Name list.
- Click on the quit button (X) in the toolbar.
Free up Storage Space
You can go to check the hard drive capacity and how much space is left there:
- Click on the Apple Logo button, select About This Mac from the drop-down menu.
- Shift to the Storage tab from Overview at the top.
- You can find out how much space is available now.
If the hard disk space is about to run out, you should go to free up some space. How do you clean out your Mac to make it run faster?
- First, you should uninstall unnecessary applications, delete useless files, and remove old backups.
- What’s more, you should find a Mac cleanup tool to help you removes caches, logs, language packs, and system files that are not needed.
- In addition, you’d better empty your Trash to get more free space (you can turn on Empty Trash Automatically).
Is it possible to recover deleted files from the Recycle Bin? Absolutely yes. This post tells you useful methods to achieve the goal.
Update macOS and Software
How to speed up Mac by updating the system:
- Click on the Apple Logo button in the upper left corner.
- Choose System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Click Software Update to check for updates.
- If any update is found, you should click on the Update Now button and wait for it to finish.
Speed up Mac by updating applications:
- Also, click on the Apple Logo.
- Choose App Store from the drop-down list.
- Select Updates in the left sidebar.
- Click Update All and wait.
Manage Startup/Login Items
You may not notice that a lot of unnecessary applications are running when you start your Mac; it’s a good idea to reduce the unnecessary ones. How to make Mac faster by reducing startup items:
- Click on the Apple Logo button.
- Choose System Preferences.
- Select Users & Groups.
- Make sure the Login Items tab is checked at the top.
- Choose the app that you don’t want to load during startup.
- Click on the minus (–) button at the bottom.
Other tips on how to speed up Mac:
- Turn off visual effects.
- Remove browser extensions.
- Organize files on your desktop.
- Reset SMC to factory settings.
- Repair disk permissions.
- Create a new user profile.
- Free up or add more RAM.
- Replace the HDD with SSD.