Apple provides the App Store as a digital distribution platform to help users download, update, and manage the apps on their Apple devices easily. This article provided by MiniTool will focus on how to update apps on iPhone. The step-by-step guide of how to update apps automatically and manually will be shown to you in the following content.
What is App Store?
You must have used App Store if you have an Apple device, such as iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. Apple Store is actually a digital distribution platform developed by Apple Inc. It’s the only place where users can get a new application or a new update. This contributes a lot to the security of Apple devices like iPhone.
How to Update Apps on iPhone or iPad
You may be wondering how to update apps on iPhone (iPad or other kinds of Apple devices). Of course, the only way is using Apple Store. You can go to Apple Store to check the updates for certain apps and then install the updates easily. The following sections will show you how to update apps on iPhone 11 and the steps to configure your device to auto update all apps.
How to Update Apps through Apple Store
The app updates come out frequently on your iPhone and it's important to keep the apps up to date for security reasons. Besides, you may want to update a certain app manually in order to get its latest features. Yes, you can open App Store and go to update one or more apps manually and directly.
What you should do before the update?
- Update your iOS to the latest version.
- Sign in to all of your devices by using the same Apple ID.
Update iPhone Apps Manually
If you’re running iOS 13/iPadOS 13 or later versions, all the apps will be automatically updated by default after they have been downloaded from App Store. That means there will be no update notifications. But, you can still go to update certain apps manually. Let’s take iPhone 11 (running iOS 14.3) as an example in the following methods.
How to update apps on iOS 13 (or later versions):
- Unblock your iPhone 11 to open App Store on it.
- Tap the profile icon located in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down in the Account page to see all the pending updates and release notes.
- Navigate to the app that you want to update and click on the UPDATE button after it.
- You can also click on the Update All button to update all the apps in the list.
- Wait for the updating process to finish.
Sometimes, you may receive this error message – there was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone – when you are restoring your iPhone or updating/downloading apps via iTunes. Here’s how to fix the problem:
The downloading error - there was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone - pops up on the device due to different reasons.
Update Apps on iPhone Automatically
Can you turn automatic updates on your iPhone or iPad? Of course, yes. Here’s what you need to do.
- Unblock your device (iPhone or iPad).
- Find your Settings app and open it.
- Scroll down to find the App Store Click to open it.
- Toggle the switch of App Updates to On.
What to do if you want to update apps automatically while using cellular data?
- Please repeat step 1 ~3.
- Look for the Automatic Downloads option under CELLULAR DATA and toggle its switch to On.
- Besides, you can tap App Downloads to choose Always Allow, Ask If Over 200MB, or Always Ask for the automatic downloads.
How to Turn Off Automatic Updates
- Unblock iPhone.
- Open Settings.
- SelectApp Store from the list.
- Turn off both App Updates and Automatic Downloads.