Though Chromebook is not designed for playing games, it is becoming a popular legitimate gaming machine over the years. More and more people would like to play games on their Chromebook. MiniTool offers this page to discuss the question - does Steam work on Chromebook - and displays the steps to install and play Steam on Chromebook.
Over a year ago, Kan Liu, the Google’s Director of Product Management, made an announcement to saying that Google and Valve were working together in order to bring a native Steam gaming experience to Chrome OS users. What is Chrome OS? It’s the default operating system on all Chromebooks.
This post talks about Starfield system requirements to help you prepare for this new game.
Can You Get Steam on Chromebook
People know that they can work efficiently on a Chromebook and do many other things for entertainment: listening to music, watching TV, watching online videos, etc. What most people don’t know is that a Chromebook can serve up premium gaming experiences for the masses. Till now, there are still many people unclear about using Steam on Chromebook: does Steam work on Chromebook or not, how to install Steam on Chromebook, etc.
There’s No Native Chrome OS Steam
You can’t play Steam games on Chromebook by default. Steam is officially supported on Windows, Mac, and Linux; but as for Chromebook, there’s no native Steam app for Chrome OS. However, there’s workaround for users to run Steam on their Chromebooks.
One important factor to make Chromebook popular is that it’s not very resource-intensive. Chromebook is a wonderful choice for doing basic computer tasks, but it’s not so good for playing games or performing resource-intensive tasks. Can you download Steam on Chromebook? There’s workaround for you to do so, but you should read the following steps and tips carefully.
The question - why is my Chromebook so slow - is bothering lots of Chromebook users, so we’d like to analyze it and provide solutions.
Download & Play Steam on Chromebook
You’re advised to play Steam games on a laptop or desktop computer. But if you insist on using your current Chromebook, you should make sure your Chromebook is powerful enough. Then, follow the methods mentioned below to set up Steam for Chromebook.
One: check things.
It should meet the following requirements.
- Your Chromebook should have a powerful processor like an Intel Core i5 or i7.
- The Chromebook must give support to run Linux and Android apps.
- The RAM of your Chromebook should be at least 8GB.
Two: enable Linux apps.
How to enable Linux apps on a Chromebook? Click on the lower right time section -> select Settings -> click Advanced -> select Developers -> find the Linux (Beta) or Linux development environment (Beta) option -> click on the Turn on button -> click Install and wait -> a Linux terminal window will appear.
Three: enable GPU acceleration.
Besides, you’d better go to enable GPU acceleration before setting up Steam on your Chromebook.
How to Install Steam on Chromebook via Steam Link
You should ignore step 1 ~ 3 if Google Play Store is already turned on. Besides, please connect your Chromebook to the same network as your other computer, and using the same Steam account.
- Set up Steam on your Windows computer.
- Open Chromebook Settings.
- Locate the Google Play Store option and click Turn on.
- Click Accept and wait.
- Open Google Play Store and search for the Steam Link app.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Steam Link.
- Open the Steam Link app and sign in with your account.
- Pair a Steam Controller or use your keyboard & mouse.
- Connect to your PC.
- Now, you’re ready to Stream games to Chrome OS and start playing.
How to Get Steam on Chromebook Using Linux App
- Enable Linux apps on your Chromebook (refer to preparations).
- Press Ctrl + Shift + T to open the Linux terminal window if it’s not opened.
- Type echo ‘deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free’ | sudo tee -a /etc and press Enter.
- Execute these commands one by one: sudo dpkg –add-architecture i386, sudo apt update, and sudo apt install steam. Press Y to confirm.
- Wait for the installation to finish.
- Type steam in terminal to launch the game app and start playing.