If you run the ipconfig /all command in Windows 10 Command Prompt to check your Internet connection, you may find the window pops up the error message – media state media disconnected. How to fix the Windows 10 media disconnected error? Get some simple solutions from the post of MiniTool now!
Media Disconnected Windows 10
Today, personal computers without an Internet connection are almost useless. According to some users, they couldn’t connect to both the Ethernet and wireless network on their Windows 10 PCs. Maybe you are one of these users.
In this case, you may choose to make a check for the WIFI adapter or the Ethernet adapter. For example, run the ipconfig /all command in Command Prompt (CMD) to list all the connected media including Ethernet and WIFI along with its status.
However, you receive the error - media state media disconnected. The error may be followed by real connection problems. From the CMD error messages, the error refers to the problem with the network adapter or the network configurations.
Next, let’s go to troubleshoot the issue - wireless LAN adapter media disconnected or Ethernet adapter media disconnected.
Ipconfig Media Disconnected Fix Windows 10
Method 1: Reset WINSOCK and IP Stack
You can reset the network configurations in Windows 10 by resetting WINSOCK and IP Stack. Most of the local area connection media disconnected can be fixed after this way.
1. In the start search box, input cmd and right-click Command Prompt to choose Run as administrator.
2. Run these commands one by one and press Enter after each one:
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
This guide shows how to use Netsh Winsock reset command to repair Windows 10 network problems. Reset network adapter, Winsock catalog to fix network problems.
3. After finishing resetting Windows Sockets API entries and IP stack, restart your computer to let changes take effect. Then, check if the ipconfig media disconnected error is solved.
Method 2: Check If the Network Adapter Is Enabled
If you have disabled the network adapter in Windows 10, then the wireless LAN adapter or Ethernet adapter media disconnected error happens. So, you need to re-enable it well.
- Go to Settings > Network and Internet > Ethernet > Change adapter options to open the Network Connections interface. Alternatively, you can input ncpa.cpl to the Run dialog (got by pressing Win + R keys) and click OK to open the interface.
- Right-click on your network adapter and choose Enable.
Method 3: Disable Network Sharing
Disabling network sharing for the adapter should be done to fix the wireless LAN adapter media disconnected issue in Windows 10. This has been proved to be helpful by some users, so it is worth a try.
- Go to the Network Connections interface by following step 1 mentioned in method 2.
- Right-click on your Wi-Fi and click Properties.
- Under the Sharing tab, uncheck the check-box next to the option - Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.
- Click OK finally.
Method 4: Run the Network Troubleshooter
In your Windows 10 computer, the built-in troubleshooter, a Windows tool can be used to scan and fix some issues. So if the media disconnected error happens, you can try to run the network troubleshooter.
- Head to Start > Settigns > Update & Security.
- Under the Troubleshooter window, expand Network Adapter and run the troubleshooter to fix problems with wireless and other network adapters.
Method 5: Update Network Adapter Drivers
If the network adapter driver is outdated, you may get the media disconnected error. To connect to the network, you should update the driver to the latest version.
- Open Device Manager by following one of the ways in this post - 10 Ways to Open Device Manager Windows 10.
- Expand Network adapters and right-click one driver to choose Update driver.
- Choose Browser my computer for driver software and then follow the on-screen instructions to finish the driver update.
Now we come to the end of this post. If you are experiencing the media disconnected error message in Windows 10 after running the ipconfig /all command, just try these five simple methods to fix the ipconfig network issue. They are proved to be useful to solve your issue.