This post created by MiniTool mainly teaches you how to build up a VPN for your new Windows 11 operating system. It offers two methods for you to choose from and both solutions with screenshots.
Update: The official Windows 11 is already available since October 5, 2021.
Windows changes from version 10 to version 11. The thing that doesn’t change is that you still need a VPN (virtual private network) service if you want to visit websites that are restricted by Internet access in certain districts or if you don’t want to be tracked.
How Does VPN Work?
The VPN extends a private network across public networks like the Internet. It allows a host computer to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if it is an integral part of the private network with all the functionality, security, as well as management policies of the private network.
How to Set up VPN on Windows 11?
Most VPN services have their own apps to automatically create a VPN for you. Yet, if you want to set it up manually by yourself, you can follow the below guide.
Way 1. Windows 11 VPN Setup from Settings
1. Right-click on the network icon in the lower right of the monitor on the taskbar and select Network and Internet settings. It will bring you to the Network & Internet tab in the Windows Settings.
2. There, in the right section, find and choose VPN.
3. Click the Add VPN button behind the VPN connections.
4. In the new popup, just specify the following parameters.
- VPN provider: The default selection is Windows (built-in).
- Connection name: It’s the name used to identify the VPN. Just name it whatever you like.
- Server name or address: This is provided by the VPN company and they might have multiple locations. Just enter one location.
- VPN type: If you know what exactly your VPN type is, you should specify it to get a faster speed. If not, just leave it as the default Automatic.
- Type of sign-in info: If it’s a free connection without any username or password, you can leave the rest of the boxes blank. If it has a username and password, just input them in the below boxes. You can also use a smart card.
5. After you have successfully added the VPN, you can find that it is listed under the VPN connections. You can click the Connect button to connect your computer to this VPN. Or, you can find and connect to this VPN by clicking on the network icon on the taskbar.
Way 2. How to Set up a VPN on Windows 11 from Network and Sharing Center
1. Click on the Start menu in the center of the taskbar and select Settings.
2. In Windows 11 Settings, choose Network & internet in the left panel.
3. Move to the right part, scroll down to find and click on the Dial-up option.
4. On the next screen, choose Network and Sharing Center.
5. In the Network and Sharing Center, click the Set up a new connection or network.
6. In the new window, choose a connection option. You should select Connect to a workplace to set up a dial-up or VPN connection to your workplace.
7. Next, click Use my Internet connection (VPN).
8. Then, you will be asked to fulfill the Internet address (IP address or IP name) and Destination name (it can be the same as the Internet address).
9. Return to select Change adapter settings in the left menu in the Network and Sharing Center.
10. You will see the added VPN on the screen. Right-click on it and choose Properties.
11. In the VPN Connection Properties window, switch to the Security tab.
12. There, you can customize the type of VPN and enable Microsoft CHAP Version 2 (MS-CHAP v2) under Allow these options.
13. Shift to the Networking tab, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and click the Properties button.
14. In the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties window, select Use the following DNS server addresses and type your Preferred DNS server address.
15. If you don’t want all your network connections through the VPN, just click the Advanced button under the DNS server settings and uncheck Use default gateway on remote network.
16. Click several OK buttons to save the changes you have made.
Finally, you have your Windows 11 VPN set up and it is available for connection. Just type the username and password to connect to the new VPN.
Best Free VPN to Use on Windows 11
- Brave’s TOR Browser
- Hotspot Shield
- Opera Unlimited VPN
- Proton VPN
- Turbo VPN
- What Is Ethernet over Coax and MoCA & How Does It Work?
- [2 Ways] How to Setup DNS on Windows 11 Step by Step?
- [2 + 1 Ways] How to Set up Proxy for Windows 11 & Chrome Browser?