To shut down Windows 10 PC, one quick way is to use Command Prompt commands. Check how to shutdown Windows 10 using command line in CMD. Also learn how to remotely shut down a Windows 10 PC with CMD. As the best Windows 10 software mate, MiniTool software also provides you data recovery, hard drive management, system backup and restore tools.
- What is the command for Windows 10 shutdown in CMD?
- How do I shut down Windows 10 from Command Prompt?
- How do I shut down a computer remotely with Command Prompt?
If you meet Windows 10 won’t shut down problem by using the usual ways, you can try the unusual way to shut down your Windows 10 PC. Learn how to shut down Windows 10 with command line in CMD (Command Prompt) below. This is helpful when computer freezes, gets stuck or crashes because of some errors and can’t shut down. (Related: How to Repair Windows 10)
Here are some top free IP address lookup tools/websites to let you easily find the detailed information of an IP like the IP address/location, ISP, proxy, etc.
How to Shut Down Windows 10 with Command Line in CMD
Step 1. You can press Windows + R, type cmd, and press Enter to open Command Prompt in Windows 10.
Step 2. In Command Prompt window, you can type shutdown /s command line, and hit Enter, then the CMD.exe will perform the Windows shutdown action.
Tip: You can also type shutdown command in CMD after you enter into Command Prompt window, and it will present a list of different options for Windows 10 shutdown. Different command lines perform different operations. You can check some of the Windows shutdown commands below.
- shutdown /s – just shut down your Windows 10 computer.
- shutdown /r – shut down and restart the computer.
- shutdown /a – abort the system shutdown before the timeout.
- shutdown /l – log off the computer.
- shutdown /f – force close running applications without forewarning users.
- shutdown /m \\computername – specify the target computer you want to shut down.
- shutdown /t xxx – set the timeout period before shutdown to xxx seconds. (Related: schedule shutdown Windows 10)
- shutdown /c “comment” – comment on the reason for the restart or shutdown.
Windows 10 Shutdown Shortcut
Some of you may also wonder how to use keyboard shortcut to shut down Windows 10. You can press Alt + F4, and it will pop up the Shutdown dialog. You can then use the arrow keys on the keyboard to select an option and press Enter to power off Windows 10 PC or laptop.
Check how to use ipconfig commands in Command Prompt to get IP address, release and renew IP address, display/reset/flush DNS, etc. on a Windows 10/11 computer.
How to Remotely Shut Down or Restart a Windows 10 Computer with CMD
You can even use Command Prompt to remotely restart or shut down a Windows 10 computer over the Internet. The Windows PCs should be connected to the same network.
After you enter into Command Prompt, you can type shutdown /m \\computername /r /f command line, and hit Enter. This will remotely restart the target Windows 10 computer and force close all running programs on it.
To shut down a Windows 10 computer remotely, you can type the command line: shutdown /m \\computername /s /c “This computer will shut down, please save all work.” /t 100, and hit Enter. This command line will shut down Windows 10 computer in CMD, along with forcing all running programs to close, show the warning message, and count down 100 seconds before the remote computer shuts down.
You can also remotely shutdown PC via Shutdown dialog.
- You can type shutdown /i command in CMD, and press Enter to open Remote Shutdown Dialog.
- Click Add or Browse button to add the target computers to the list. You can type the computer network name in \\computername format or just type the computer name.
- Then you can set the shutdown options: restart or shutdown. You can also set the shutdown settings like displaying a warning.
- Then you can run the corresponding Windows shutdown commands to shut down or restart a batch of computers in the same network.
This post gives some tips on how to shut down Windows 10 with command line in CMD, and how to how to restart or shut down remote computers with CMD. If you have better ideas, please do not hesitate to share with us.