Though the Windows 10 default desktop background left deep impression on people, you may not want to keep it for a long time, right? You can change the Windows 10 desktop background to a picture you are fond of. And you can still get back the old default desktop background of Windows 10 whenever you want.
The Windows 10 background, also called wallpaper, can be changed easily by ordinary users. The default desktop background of Windows 10 is blue; it’s nice to look at, but it lacks creativity and vitality. So, I am going to tell you how to change Windows 10 desktop background in easy steps (you can also customize your Windows 10 by changing the icon size, system themes and taskbar location). Take actions immediately to personalize Windows 10!
Change Windows 10 Desktop Background: Instructions
In this part, I will introduce 3 ways to change desktop background Windows 10.
Method 1: Choose Personalize
To change Windows wallpaper themes, you should open the Windows 10 wallpaper location and choose a picture you want:
- Right click on the blank space of your Windows 10 desktop.
- Choose Personalize option from the context menu.
- Find the Background section in the right pane of the Settings window.
- If the Picture option is selected under Background, you can choose a picture under Choose your picture You can also click on the Browse button, choose a picture from your computer, and click on the Choose picture button to confirm.
- After that, you’ll see the preview of your Background at the top.
Please note: you can also change the current picture to solid color or Windows 10 wallpaper slideshow.
How to change background color on computer screen?
- Select Solid color under Background section.
- Choose a background color from the list; you can also click on the Custom color button to pick a background color and click on Done to finish.
How to configure Windows 10 wallpaper slideshow?
- Select Slideshow under Background section.
- Click on the Browse button under Choose albums for your slideshow.
- Find the folder that includes pictures you want to display in the Slideshow (how to recover if the folder is lost).
- Click on Choose this folder button to confirm.
Method 2: Choose Wallpaper from Windows Explorer
If you want to use a local picture as the background of your Windows 10 PC, please find it directly; if you see a wonderful picture online and want to use it as the background, you can download it to your local drive.
How to change desktop background:
- Open Windows Explorer (also called File Explorer).
- Navigate to the folder that stores the picture you want to use as the background.
- Find the picture you need and right click on it.
- Choose Set as desktop background from the context menu.
- Wait for the process to complete automatically.
Please note: sometimes, you may see the Windows Explorer needs to be restarted prompt (Windows 10 File Explorer not responding or Windows Explorer has stopped working). Here’s how to fix this issue properly:
How to fix Windows Explorer needs to be restarted problem? This post tells you several methods to solve it.
Method 3: Change Windows 10 Desktop Background from Web Browser
You may come across a cool picture on the web; you want to set it as the desktop background of your Windows 10, but you don’t want to download it like mentioned in method 2. What you should do?
- Head over to the webpage that contains the picture you like.
- Right click on the picture.
- Choose Set as background from the list.
- Select Yes in the prompt window to confirm.
- Wait a second for the operation to complete.
Please note: this method only applies for Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers. If you are using Microsoft Edge or Chrome browser, you still need to download the picture first and right click on it to set as background (refer to method 2).
If you need to recover Google Chrome history, please read this page:
Finding your Google Chrome history disappeared accidentally? There are 7 effective methods to help you restore your deleted Chrome history by yourself.
There are only slight differences on how to change desktop background Windows 7 or Windows 8. Please click here if you want to change desktop background Mac.