You have more than one choice to update your Windows 10 like using Windows update service, the ISO image, or Windows 10 in-place upgrade. In this post, MiniTool Software will show you how to perform Windows 10 in-place upgrade. It is especially useful when the Windows update service is unavailable.
What Is Windows 10 In-Place Upgrade?
The ways to update Windows 10 on your computer are various. For example:
- You can go to Settings > Update &security to check for updates and then upgrade your Windows 10.
- You can also create an ISO image and then use it to clean upgrade your Windows 10.
- Additionally, you can download the Media Creation Tool and then use it to perform Windows 10 in-place upgrade.
In this post, we will focus on the last method: in-place upgrade Windows 10.
The term in-place means that you need to do the job without leaving your computer. Windows 10 In-Place upgrade means that you can update your Windows 10 to the new feature update without using the ISO file.
You can choose to use Windows 10 in-place upgrade if there are some issues when downloading the Windows update.
Windows Update not working issue has different situations. Now, we summarize several effective solutions which can help you solve it easily.
Preparations before In-Place Upgrade Windows 10
Before performing Windows 10 in-place upgrade, you need to do these things:
- Make sure that you have signed in and own the admin privileges.
- Disable or uninstall all third-party antivirus software and security applications.
- Before downloading, you need to remove all the external peripherals besides mouse, keyboard and LAN cable.
Then, it’s time to in-place upgrade your Windows 10.
How to In-place Upgrade Windows 10
Step 1: Download the Windows 10 Installation Media Tool on Your Computer
1. Go to the Windows 10 download page.
2. Click Download tool now. That tool, which is named as MediaCreationTool<version-no>.exe, will be downloaded on your computer.
3. After the downloading process ends completely, you need to click the tool to run it.
Step 2: Perform Windows 10 In-Place Upgrade on Your PC
- After clicking the tool, the Windows 10 in-place upgrade process will begin. When seeing the Applicable notices and license terms, you need to accept it.
- Wait until the Getting Ready screen disappears.
- You will see two options: Upgrade this PC Now and Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC. You need to select the Upgrade this PC Now option to perform the in-place upgrade.
- Click Next. Then the tool begins to download the needed files. It will take a while to finish the job. You need to be patient.
- After downloading, you need to choose to keep your personal files or start fresh. For Windows 10 in-place upgrade, you should keep your files on your computer. That is, after Windows 10 upgrade, the issues on your previous installed applications will be disappeared. But you still have your personal files on the PC.
- Then, the screen will remind you that Your computer will restart several times. This might take a while. Please be patient.
- You will go back to the login screen when the restart processes end. Then, you need to log into Windows 10 and make the needed settings, like Privacy settings, Cortana settings, language settings, and more.
When the whole process ends, the Windows 10 in-place upgrade is also finished. Then, you can use the latest Windows version on your computer.