Windows 10 Settings is an important app on your Windows 10 computer. You can use multiple methods to open Windows 10 Settings and use the options in it to modify the settings in the operating system. In this post, MiniTool Software will show you all the methods it knows.
About Windows 10 Settings
What Is Windows 10 Settings?
Windows Settings or Settings was introduced in Windows 8. In Windows 8/8.1, it is called PC Settings. It is a component of Windows, which allows you to customize and configure your operating system according to your requirements. It is very similar to Control Panel. You can use it to enter the main configuration options and settings for your computer. Windows 8/10 Settings shows you the categories of possible user interaction and activities, but not only the list of all devices and options.
Windows 10 Settings and Windows 8 Settings have some differences. Here are the categories in Settings:
The Categories in Windows 10:
- Phone (introduced in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update)
- Network & Internet
- Apps (introduced in Windows 10 Creators Update)
- Time & Language
- Gaming (introduced in Windows 10 Anniversary Update)
- Ease of Access
- *Cortana (introduced in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update; removed in Windows 10 May 2020 Update)
- Update & Security
- *Mixed Reality (introduced in Windows 10 Creators Update; appears only if a device meeting minimum HoloLens requirements is connected to the PC.)
The Categories in Windows 8:
- PC & devices
- Search & apps
- Time and language
- Ease of Access
- Update & recovery
- *Activate Windows/Activate Windows8.1 (if your Windows is not activated)
How to Open Windows 10 Settings?
- Use Windows 10 Settings Keyboard Shortcut
- Via Start
- Use Command Prompt (CMD) or PowerShell
- Via the WinX Menu
- Use Windows Search
- Use Cortana
- Via Run
- Create a Windows 10 Settings Shortcut on Desktop
- Use File Explorer
- Via the Action Center
- Pin the Settings to the Taskbar or Start Menu
- Via Task Manager
- From the Desktop
- From the Taskbar
- From Control Panel
Method 1: Open Windows 10 Settings Using Windows 10 Settings Keyboard Shortcut
You can press Win+I on your keyboard to directly open Windows 10 Settings. This is the easiest method.
Method 2: Open Windows 10 Settings via Start
There is access to Windows 10 Settings in Start. You can click the Start menu (on the bottom-left side of the screen/the left side on the taskbar) and then select the Gear icon to open Windows 10 Settings.
On the other hand, you can also scroll down the Start menu to find Settings in S categories and then click it to open it.
Method 3: Open Windows 10 Settings Use Command Prompt (CMD) or PowerShell
If you are a professional user, you can also use Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell to open Windows 10 Settings. How to open Windows 10 Settings using this method? Here is a simple guide:
- Run Command Prompt as administrator.
- Type start ms-settings:.
- Press Enter.
You can also type the above command line in Windows PowerShell to open Windows 10 Settings.
Method 4: Open Windows 10 Settings via the WinX Menu
Press Win+X on your keyboard and you can find Settings in the WinX menu. Then, you can click it to open it.
Method 5: Open Windows 10 Settings Use Windows Search
You can use Windows search to search for files and programs on your computer. So, you can also use it to search for Settings and then open it.
Method 6: Open Windows 10 Settings Use Cortana
You can also click Cortana and then tell Cortana to open Windows 10 Settings.
Method 7: Open Windows 10 Settings via Run
Run is another utility that can help you open an application on your Windows computer. You can follow these steps to open Windows 10 Settings:
- Press Win+R to open Run.
- Type ms-settings:.
- Press Enter.
Method 8: Create a Windows 10 Settings Desktop Shortcut
You can also create a Windows 10 Settings desktop shortcut. Whenever you want to use it, you can just click that Windows 10 Settings shortcut to directly open it.
1. Right-click the desktop and then go to New > Shortcut.
2. Type ms-settings: when you see the following interface.
3. Click Next.
4. Type a name for the shortcut.
5. Click Finish.
6. Then, you can see the Settings shortcut on the desktop. You can click it to open Windows 10 Settings.
Method 9: Open Windows 10 Settings Using File Explorer
It is very easy to use File Explorer to open Settings in Windows 10:
- Click This PC.
- Select the Computer tab from the top menu.
- Click Open Settings to open it.
Method 10: Open Windows 10 Settings via the Action Center
How to open Settings in Windows 10 using the Action Center? You can follow this guide:
- Click the Notification icon on the right side of the taskbar.
- Select All Settings to open Settings in Windows 10.
Method 11: Pin Settings to the Taskbar or Start Menu
- Click Start.
- Right-click the Gear icon and then select Pin to Start. You can also go to More > Pin to taskbar to pin Settings to the taskbar.
The following image is the result:
Method 12: Open Windows 10 Settings via Task Manager
1. Right-click the taskbar and then select Task Manager.
2. Go to File > Run new task.
3. Type ms-settings:.
4. Click OK.
Method 13: Open Windows 10 Settings from the Desktop
You can also open Settings from the desktop. Here is how to do this:
1. Right-click your desktop and then select Display settings or Personalise.
2. Click the Home button when you see the Display or Background interface to open Windows 10 Settings.
Method 14: Open Windows 10 Settings from the Taskbar
- Right-click the taskbar and then select Taskbar settings.
- Click the Home button on the pop-out interface to open Windows 10 Settings.
Method 15: Open Windows 10 Settings from Control Panel
- Open Control Panel.
- Go to User Accounts > Make changes to my account in PC Settings.
- On the pop-out interface, click Home to go to Windows Settings.
Those are the methods to open Windows 10 Settings on your computer. You can just select your preferred method to use.