This post offers a step-by-step guide on how to create a PowerShell shortcut on Windows 11/10. With the PowerShell desktop shortcut, you can quickly launch it when needed.
Open PowerShell with Windows Run Shortcut
A fast way to open PowerShell on Windows 10/11 is to press Windows + R, type powershell in the Run dialog, and press Enter.
How to Create a PowerShell Desktop Shortcut
If you want to easily launch PowerShell from the desktop, you can create a desktop shortcut for PowerShell on Windows 10/11. Check how to do it below.
Way 1. Create a PowerShell Shortcut from Desktop
- Right-click the empty area on your computer desktop and select New > Shortcut.
- In the pop-up Create Shortcut window, type powershell and click Next. Alternatively, you can also enter the full path of PowerShell: C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe, and click Next.
- Enter a name for the PowerShell shortcut, e.g. powershell.exe, Windows PowerShell, etc. Click Finish to create a PowerShell desktop shortcut.
- Then you can double-click the PowerShell shortcut on the desktop to quickly launch it next time.
Way 2. Send Windows PowerShell Shortcut to Desktop
- Press Windows + S, type powershell, right-click Windows PowerShell and select Open file location.
- Right-click Windows PowerShell and select Send to > Desktop (create shortcut). You can see a desktop shortcut for PowerShell is shown on your desktop. Double-click the shortcut to launch PowerShell.
Other 3 Easy Ways to Open PowerShell
Way 1. Press Windows + S, type powershell in Windows Search, and select Windows PowerShell App to open it. To run PowerShell as administrator, you can right-click Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
Way 2. Press Windows + X, and select Windows PowerShell or Windows PowerShell (Admin) to launch PowerShell.
Way 3. Press Windows + S, type powershell, right-click Windows PowerShell App and select Pin to taskbar to add a PowerShell icon to the taskbar. Next time you can click the PowerShell icon on the taskbar to fast open it.
PowerShell is a task automation and configuration management program developed by Microsoft. It includes a command-line shell and the associated scripting language. You can open PowerShell and use it to run commands to easily do various tasks on your computer.
Useful Computer Software You May Need
MiniTool Power Data Recovery is a professional free data recovery software program that can help you recover any deleted or lost data. You can use it to recover any deleted or lost files, photos, videos, emails, etc. from Windows computers, USB flash drives, memory cards, external hard drives, SSDs, etc. You can try it to restore data from various data loss situations.
MiniTool Partition Wizard is a professional free disk partition manager for Windows. You can install this program on your computer to use it to manage hard disks from all aspects. You can use it to easily create, delete, extend, resize, merge, split, format, and wipe partitions. You can also use it to migrate OS to HD/SSD, test hard drive speed, analyze hard drive space, check and fix disk errors, and more.
MiniTool ShadowMaker is a free PC backup tool. You can use this program to easily back up any data on your PC to an external hard drive, USB flash drive, or network drive. It also lets you easily back up and restore Windows operating system.
MiniTool MovieMaker is a free video editor for PC. You can use this tool to edit videos from many aspects. You can trim video, add effects/transitions/subtitles/music to video, etc.