What Is PKG File? How to Open PKG File on Different Platforms? [MiniTool Wiki]
What Is PKG File?
What is the PKG file? A .pkg file is a database file created by developers developing SymbianOS applications. There aren't many devices running SymbianOS on the market today, but during Nokia's heyday, SymbianOS was the most used operating system in mobile phones. The .pkg file contains data in the text format used to create the SIS file.
An application's .pkg file also contains various ownership information such as the vendor's name, the software developer, the application files to copy from, and other related files. The information or data stored in a .pkg file is created using the CreateSIS utility, which uses the makesis command to archive the .pkg file containing the information.
Tip: To learn information about other file formats, you can go to the MiniTool official website.
How to Open PKG File
How to Open PKG File on Windows
To open PKG on Windows, follow the guide below:
- Find the PKG file in File Explorer and double-click it to launch the corresponding application.
- If the PKG file doesn't open with an application, and instead you receive a "Windows cannot open the file" error message, you should try to find an application that will open the file in question.
- If you know of an application that can open a PKG file, run it and open the PKG file. If you don't know of an application that works as a PKG file opener, try searching online for "PKG viewer” in your favorite search engine.
- Install the application and open your PKG file.
If you find the VC_Red file on your computer and you may wonder what it is. This post introduces information about it and you can know should you delete it.
How to Open PKG File on Mac
To open the PKG file on Mac, the instructions are as follows:
- Find the PKG file in the Mac OS Finder and double-click it to launch the corresponding application.
- If the PKG file does not open in a Mac OS application and instead you get a "No application is set to open this file" error message, you can click "Search the App Store" on the error dialog and Mac OS will ask you Shows that the application is compatible with PKG files.
- If you know of a Mac OS application that can be used as a PKG file opener, you can select the "Choose Application..." option in the error box to associate the file extension and open the PKG file within it.
- If you don't know of an application that can open a PKG file, try searching for "PKG viewer" in your favorite online search engine.
How to Open PKG File on iPhone/iPad
To open a PKG file on an iOS device, follow these steps:
- Open the Files app on your iPhone or iPad device. You can find it by swiping it down on the home screen and typing "file" into the search bar.
- Tap the Downloads folder on the main screen of the Files app.
- You will see all the recently downloaded files. Click on the PKG file to view it.
- It will automatically launch and open your file if you have the correct application that can open it.
- If you don't have an app that can open it, you'll need to search for "PKG" in the Apple App Store. This way you can find an application that can open your PKG file.
- If that doesn't help, your file may only be openable via the desktop application. To find an application that will open it on your desktop, look online for "PKG viewer" in your favorite search engine.
How to Open PKG File on Android
If you downloaded the PKG file on your Android device, you can open it by following these steps:
- Find the "My Files" or "File Manager" app in the list of Android apps on your Android device and tap to launch it.
- Click on the "Downloads" folder within the app.
- You should see the downloaded PKG file in this folder.
- Click on File. If the Android device supports opening the file you download, it will open in the appropriate application.
- If the file won't open, you can find an app that can open it by searching for "PKG" in the Android App Store.
- If you can't open the file with an app from the Android App Store, the file probably only opens on a desktop platform like Windows or Mac OS. Try doing a web search for "PKG viewer" to open it.