When installing Windows 10/8/7, you may run into the issue of getting files ready for installation stuck at 17%, 27%, 70%, 72%, 94%, etc. What should you do to get out of the stuck screen? Today MiniTool Solution lists some effective methods in this post and just have a try to fix your issue.
Getting Files Ready for Installation Stuck Windows 10/8/7
When using a Windows bootable USB drive or CD/DVD to install Windows 10, 8, or 7, there may be a failure, for example, getting files ready for installation stuck. The PC doesn’t freeze and you can still have full control of the mouse but the installation process gets stuck at 17%, 27%, 70%, 72%, 94%, etc.
The possible reasons for this may be file system errors, the system itself, bad sectors, virus/malware attacks, disk integrity corruption, third-party software issue, and more. Fortunately, you can try many methods to easily fix this issue. Let’s go to see them.
Is Windows 10 setup stuck on making sure you’re reading to install? Relax and you can find some useful solutions to help you get rid of trouble.
Fixes for Windows 7/8 or Windows 10 Getting Files Ready for Installation Stuck
Wait Until the Installation Process Finishes
According to Microsoft, you should wait for the procedure to complete and then take further action. When the computer screen shows “getting files ready for installation”, the system may be handing some background tasks and needs some time to finish them. Thus, wait patiently. If your PC still gets stuck on the screen after 2 or 3 hours, try the following methods.
Disconnect Any External Devices
If some additional peripherals are connected to your PC, you may run into the issue of Windows 10 stuck at getting setup files. So, make sure you have unplugged any external devices (additional monitors, card readers, keyboards, and more) other than the C drive. If possible, turn off Wi-Fi and use a LAN cable to plug into a router.
Enter Safe Mode to Restart Your PC
In Safe Mode, the system only runs necessary drives and applications. It can be troubleshooting mode. To get out of installing Windows 10 stuck at 0, 17, 27, etc., you can boot your machine to Safe Mode.
- Restart your computer several times and it will go to Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). Or prepare a Windows repair disk to boot the PC and click Repair your computer to enter WinRE.
- Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
- Press a specific key to enter Safe Mode.
- Reboot the computer in Safe Mode and the PC will get out of the stuck screen.
This could be a solution to fix getting files ready for installation stuck. Follow these steps to check BIOS:
- Restart your PC to enter BIOS. Related article: [5 Ways] How to Get Into BIOS on Windows 11 on Restart.
- Check the boot priority – make sure the PC boots from the drive used to install Windows.
- Save the change and exit BIOS. Restart your PC.
Delete Problematic Files
The following are steps to delete problematic files or folders:
- Boot your Windows 10 to WinRE.
- Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
- Type C: cd Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt. SrtTrail.txt and press Enter.
- If you see a message saying Boot critical file c:\windows\system32\drivers\vsock.sys is corrupt, track the specific location, and type the del command in the command window to delete it.
Bring the PC to a Repair Shop
If none of these solutions can fix getting files ready for installation stuck, the last method you can try is to bring the PC to a repair shop and ask a professional for help.
Windows 10/8/7 getting files ready for installation stuck at 17%, 27%, 70%, 72%, 94%, etc.? Try these solutions above and you can easily get rid of the problem. Hope this post is helpful to you.