This post introduces some free methods to help you with corrupted video file repair on Windows or Mac. Check how to use free MiniTool Video Repair or VLC Media Player to fix corrupt (MP4/MOV) video files on your Windows computer. Guides for repairing corrupted videos on Mac or online are also included.
- How do I fix a corrupted video file?
- Can VLC fix corrupted video?
- Why do video files get corrupted?
- How can I fix a corrupted video online?
Can you repair corrupted videos? If you intend to play a video with a video player but receive a message saying that the player cannot play the file, it might be because the video file type is not supported by the program or the video is corrupted. You can find some free methods for corrupted video file repair below. An easy and free method to convert video format is also included.
What Causes Video Files to Get Corrupted?
Under various situations, your videos might get corrupted and unplayable.
- Sudden power off of your device before you stop the video recording.
- DJI drones crashed unexpectedly and the videos are unreadable.
- SD card errors can cause the videos to get corrupted or lost.
- Interrupted internet connection when transferring files between storage devices.
- Errors in writing or reading data when editing or playing the video.
- Physical damage of the memory card or device.
- Malware or virus infection of the storage device.
- Unknown reasons.
Corrupted Video File Repair Software Free Download
MiniTool Video Repair is a 100% clean and free video repair tool that is compatible with Windows. Its main features are listed below.
- Repair corrupt MP4, MOV, M4V, F4V video files.
- Repair damaged MP4/MOV videos from GoPro, DJI Drones, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Dashcam cameras, etc.
- Let you add several videos to repair in batch.
- Equip an Advanced Repair feature that helps fix severely damaged videos.
- Allow you to preview the repaired videos.
- 100% clean, free, and with no watermark.
How to Repair Corrupted Video File with MiniTool Video Repair
- Download and install MiniTool Video Repair on your Windows 10/8/7 computer. Launch it.
- Click Add video(s) and start repairing Select the videos from your computer and click Open to load them into MiniTool Video Repair software.
- Click Repair This program will start repairing the selected videos automatically.
- After it finishes the corrupted video file repair process, you can preview and save the successfully repaired videos.
- For videos that failed to repair, you can click Advanced Repair The program will ask you to add a sample video of the same format and it will try to repair the video again with the Advanced Repair technology.
Convert Video Format for Free with MiniTool Video Converter
If the video can’t open or play in Windows Media Player or other video players, it might also be because the video format is not supported. You can use a free video converter application to easily convert video to MP4 which is supported by most players and devices.
MiniTool Video Converter is a 100% clean and free video converter for Windows. You can use it to convert any video or audio file to the desired format. It supports 1000+ formats.
MiniTool Video Converter is also a free screen recorder for Windows. It lets you record computer screen activities without watermark. You can use it to record the full screen or any part of your computer screen. It also lets you record screen with audio.
Free download and install MiniTool Video Converter on your Windows computer and check how to use it to convert video to MP4 below.
- Launch MiniTool Video Converter. Under Video Convert, you can click the “+” icon to load the source video.
- Click Edit icon under Target section. Click Video tab, select MP4 and select a resolution as the output.
- Click Convert button to start converting video to MP4.
- Click Converted tab and click Show in folder button to check the converted video file.
Best Free Memory Card Data Recovery Tool
You can use MiniTool Video Repair to conduct the corrupted video file repair task. But if you lost some videos in your camera or other devices, you need to use a professional data recovery program to restore the lost videos.
MiniTool Power Data Recovery is a top free data recovery program for Windows. You can use it to easily recover any deleted/lost files from memory cards, SD cards, USB flash drives, PC or laptops, external hard drives, SSDs, etc. It can tackle various data loss situations. You can use this program to recover data from memory cards in simple steps. Check its simple guide below.
- Connect the memory card to your Windows computer by using an SD card reader. Launch MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
- Click Devices tab and select the target memory card and click Scan. Let the software finish the scan process.
- Check the scan result, find and tick wanted files, click Save button to select a new destination to store the recovered files.
Tip: If you only want to scan and recover video files, you can click Scan Settings icon in the left menu bar. In the Scan Settings window, you can only check Audio & Video category and click OK. To only recover MP4 videos, you can only select MP4 Video File and click OK.
How to Fix a Corrupted Video File with VLC Media Player
For corrupted video file repair on Windows, you can also try VLC media player. VLC has a built-in AVI file repair feature that lets you repair corrupted AVI video files. Check how to do it below. Check how to convert video to VLC supported format and how to turn on AVI fix feature in VLC below.
- Run VLC media player.
- Click Media -> Convert/Save.
- Click Add button to select the source corrupt file. Click Convert/Save button.
- In the Convert window, choose an output profile/codec and a destination path, and click Start button.
- Open VLC and click Tools -> Preferences.
- Click Input/Codecs and select Always fix next to Damaged or incomplete AVI file Click Save button to turn on VLC AVI repair feature.
- Try to play the corrupt video file with VLC to see if it can play.
Repair Corrupted MP4/MOV Files on Mac
For Mac users, you need to find reliable corrupted video file repair software to fix corrupted MP4/MOV videos.
Stellar Data Recovery for Mac is a top Mac data recovery software program coming with a Video Repair feature. You can use this program to repair corrupt MP4, MOV, and various videos.
You can not only use this program to repair corrupt MP4/MOV video files but also use it to recover any deleted/lost data from various devices.
It lets you recover videos, photos, files, etc. from Mac computers, internal or external drives including HDD, SSD, SD card, USB, and more. It even supports recovering data from crashed Mac computers.
Get this corrupted video file repair software downloaded and installed on your Mac computer and check how to use it to repair corrupted MP4/MOV video files below.
To repair corrupt video:
- Launch Stellar Data Recovery for Mac.
- Click More Tools -> Video Repair.
- Add the corrupted video into the program and click Repair.
- Check the repaired video and save it to a preferred location.
To recover data:
- Open Stellar Data Recovery for Mac on your Mac computer.
- Select the file types you’d like to recover on the main interface of this software, and click Next.
- Select the target drive or device and click Scan. Wait until the scan process finishes.
- Check the scan result and find the wanted files. Click Recover button to choose a destination to save the recovered videos.
How to Repair Corrupt (MP4/MOV) Video Files Online
To help you with corrupted video file repair, you may also find some free online video repair tools.
You can try Fix.Video. This tool repairs corrupted, damaged, unplayable MP4, MOV, M4A, 3GP, MXF files. You can use it to repair videos from various professional cameras like Canon, Nikon, Sony, GoPro, Panasonic, DJI drones, and more.
You can go to the official website of this online video repair service and click the big “+” icon to upload your broken video, and it will help automatically repair the uploaded video. After repairing, you can download the repaired video to your computer.
Other online video repairing services include VideoRepair, FileConverto, etc.
This post provides some free corrupted video file repair tools for both Windows and Mac to help you repair corrupted MP4/MOV videos, etc. If you are unable to fix the unplayable video, you can send us feedback by contacting [email protected].
About MiniTool Software, it is a top software developing company with over 10 years’ experience. It has released several flag products to help users with various things on computer.
MiniTool Software provides you free tools including MiniTool Video Repair, MiniTool Power Data Recovery, MiniTool Partition Wizard, MiniTool ShadowMaker, MiniTool Video Converter, MiniTool MovieMaker, MiniTool uTube Downloader, and more. You can go to MiniTool Software official website to download and try the tools you are interested in.