VPN protocols are important to safeguard your cyber security in case of any data tracking or breaking. As time goes by, people will put more attention to their online privacy since nobody wants to be spied on. VPN protocols can play that role. So, about IKEv2, what is it and is it secure? MiniTool will tell you that.
What Is IKEv2 VPN Protocol?
What is IKEv2? First of all, IKE means Internet Key Exchange and v2 means version 2. It is a protocol used in the IPsec protocol suite to set up a security association (SA). That’s why we always bundle these two nouns together – IKEv2/ IPsec.
Besides, IPsec is regarded as a model of security and reliability while IKEv2 stands for speed and stability, so that would be one of the best VPN protocols to combine these two to offset their disadvantages.
Because IKEv2 is never implemented without the IPsec encryption layer, it is generally shortened to just IKEv2.
So is IKEv2 secure? Yes, it is. IKEv2 VPN protocol has no known vulnerabilities and uses first-class 256 encryptions and a series of cryptographic algorithms.
How Does IKEv2 Work?
As we mentioned, IKEv2 can’t work without IPsec. It sets up a security association that is used to negotiate security keys used by both the VPN client and the VPN server.
Once the validation by IKEv2 has been successful, the communication between two peers will be encrypted. It will generate the same encryption keys used to encrypt and decrypt all the data that flows through the VPN tunnel.
There is some news about IKEv2 you might be interested in.
- IKEv2/IPsec uses VPN encryption ciphers such as AES, ChaCha20, and Camellia.
- It uses the famous Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange algorithm.
- It supports Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS) for data integrity and privacy.
- It uses X.509 certificates for authentication.
- It works well with open-source software.
- It uses UDP packets as well as port 500.
IKEv1 vs. IKEv2
IKEv1 and IKEv2 are two different versions, so what’s the difference between them?
IKEv2 protocol is a kind of upgraded version of IKEv1 so it can provide more experience and functions to users.
- More encryption algorithms are supported.
- The VPN connection will be more stable and consistent with the support of MOBIKE (Mobility and Multi-Homing Protocol).
- The built-in NAT traversal in IKEv2 helps establish a connection much faster.
- Fewer bandwidth data is required.
Pros and Cons of IKEv2
Even though IKEv2 has many benefits, people may want to compare it to other VPN protocols to choose the best one. We provide a comprehensive analysis of its benefits and downsides below.
- One of the fastest VPN protocols, even faster than L2TP and PPTP.
- High-security level with multiple advanced ciphers for maximum protection.
- A strong and stable connection with the seamless auto-reconnect feature.
- Because of UDP Port 500, it may be blocked by firewalls and admins.
- It is a closed source, which may trigger some security issues.
- IKEv2 can be exploited.
IKEv2 VPN Protocol FAQ
Is IKEv2 compatible with my device?
IKEv2 supports all major platforms, including Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and routers, especially fast on macOS. The protocol is also compatible with smart devices like Smart TVs and some streaming devices.
What is IKEv2 for iPhone?
IPhone allows you to use IKEv2. You can choose IKEv2 and select Always On VPN if you want to configure a payload so that iPhone and iPad devices must have an active VPN connection in order to connect to any network.
How about IKEv2 vs. L2TP/IPsec?
The security level of them also is quite the same because both of them work around IPsec but IKEv2 is supported by fewer systems and software.
Is IKEv2 good for gaming?
Yes, because of its fast speeds, stability, and high security, IKEv2 can be a better choice for gaming players. It can help lower the latency levels to make your game more fluent and improve the gaming experience.
Is IKEv2 better than other VPN protocols?
That depends on your situation. In most cases, the IKEv2 VPN protocols will be better compared to others due to performance and efficiency, especially on mobile devices. Fewer CPU resources will be wasted and better performance will be met.
IKEv2 is a high security level protocol. To further protect your data, you can choose to back up your data with MiniTool ShadowMaker in case of any data loss.
After reading this article, you may have some understanding of IKEv2 VPN Protocols. If you still have similar questions about that, please leave a message.