You can’t deny the fact that Google Drive is used widely throughout the world. You also need to admit that there are sometimes errors occurred in Google Drive. For instance, the Error Loading Python DLL error (error code 5) shows up on your device, all of a sudden.
Please back up at least important data with MiniTool software.
Google Drive Error: Error loading Python DLL
What is Google Drive?
Google LLC designed and released Google Drive as a file storage and synchronization service on April 24, 2012. Three main functions of Google Drive are storing files on servers, synchronizing files across devices, and sharing files with others. Google Drive also provides applications equipped with offline capabilities for users of multiple devices (Windows and macOS computers, Android and iOS smartphones, and tablets).
Google Drive Error 5
Like any other programs and services, the Google Drive also suffers from various errors. For instance, Error loading Python DLL is a typical Google Drive fatal error people may encounter.
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\_MEI22042\python27.dll (error code 5)
The prompt window above shows up when:
- Google Drive app cannot start.
- Users initialize the syncing procedure.
When you see such Google Drive fatal error, you have no choice but to click on the OK button to close the prompt window. However, this error persists. Please read the following content to know what can cause the error and how to fix it.
What Causes Google Drive Error Loading Python DLL
The Error Loading Python DLL error usually shows up on your screen when you try to open the desktop version of Google Drive or several seconds after the syncing procedure was started. Most of the time, the Error Loading Python DLL prompt window shows you that a DLL named python27.dll is in trouble.
Why does the error loading Python DLL appears in Google Drive? There are mainly 6 reasons to explain why you can’t open Google Drive.
- The executable is losing admin access: the error loading python27.dll may be a result of lack of admin access. Thus, the Google syncing app cannot maintain a persistent connection with Google Drive.
- Lack Visual C++ 2008 Redist Pack: if an essential Visual C++ pack (2008 SP1 Redist) is not included in the Windows installation, the python27.dll loading error will also appear.
- There’s problem with permission: you can’t use the syncing feature of the Backup and Sync application to communicate with the Drive servers correctly if any permission problem is found.
- There’s compatibility issue: if the GoogleDriveSync.exe executable (Backup and Sync version) is not compatible with your current Windows version, the error will also occur.
- GoogleDriveSync.exe executable is outdated: people running a severely outdated version of the Backup and Sync application tend to receive the error loading Python DLL message.
- Corrupted drive files are found in Temp folder: the files contained in Temp folder may be corrupted when you sync the local data with the Google Drive cloud.
How to recover corrupted files?
The work to recover corrupted files can be either difficult or easy. The main point is whether you've got effective way and tool when starting that work.
How to Solve Error Loading Python DLL on Windows
#1. Run the executable file (GoogleDriveSync.exe) with admin access.
- Open Windows Explorer (also called File Explorer).
- Go to this path: C:\Program Files\Google\Drive.
- Look for theexe file and right click on it.
- Choose Properties from the menu you see.
- Shift to the Compatibility tab in the Properties window.
- Look for the Settings section and check Run this program as an administrator under it.
- Click on the Apply button to confirm.
- Restart your Google Drive to have a try.
#2. Install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redist.
- Click here to select language and then click on the Download button.
- Check a version based on your system (vcredist_x86.exe for 32-bit version and vcredist_x64.exe for 64-bit).
- Wait for the download process to complete.
- Follow the instructions to complete installing the Redist Pack.
- Restart your computer.
#3. Get the latest Backup and Sync version.
- Right click on the Start button in the lower left corner.
- Choose Run from the menu and type appwiz.cpl.
- Hit Enter to open the Programs and Features window.
- Look for Backup and Sync from Google application and select it.
- Click on the Uninstall button and click Yes to confirm.
- Wait for the uninstallation process to end.
- Open the browser on your computer and go to this page.
- Follow the instructions to finish the installation.
- Restart your computer.
Also, you can troubleshoot error loading Python DLL by:
- Changing the permissions of Temp folder
- Cleaning the temp folder
- Running GoogleDriveSync.exe in compatibility mode