This post provides 6 ways with detailed guides to help you fix sound distortion Windows 10 issue. MiniTool software also offers free data recovery software, hard drive partition manager, system backup and restore software, movie maker and video editor, YouTube video downloader and more tools.
If you meet sound distortion issue in Windows 10 when watching a video or listening to music, you can try the 6 ways below to see if the Windows 10 sound distortion problem can be fixed.
Way 1. Reinstall Audio Drivers
If the Windows 10 distorted audio issue is caused by hardware incompatibility like the newly installed audio drivers have problems or are not compatible with your Windows 10 system, you can try to reinstall audio drives or roll back audio drivers to see if it can fix sound distortion error in Windows 10.
- Press Windows + X, and choose Device Manager to open Device Manager in Windows 10.
- Expand Sound, video and game controllers, right-click the sound device, and choose Uninstall device.
- Restart the Windows 10 computer, and it will automatically reinstall the audio driver.
Check how to download and update Dell audio drivers for Windows 10 PC or laptop in this post.
Way 2. Roll Back Audio Drivers
- Follow the same operation to enter into Device Manager window.
- Click Sound, video and game controllers and right-click the audio device to choose Properties.
- Next click Driver tab, and click Roll Back Driver button to roll back audio drivers in Windows 10. Then you can check if sound distortion Windows 10 issue is fixed.
Way 3. Run Windows Playing Audio Troubleshooter
To diagnose Windows 10 sound problems, Windows has a built-in audio troubleshooter. You can run it to troubleshoot Windows 10 sound issues.
- Press Windows + I to open Windows Settings. Click Update & Security -> Troubleshoot.
- Locate Playing Audio option in the right window. Click it and click Run the troubleshooter button to automatically find and fix problems with playing sound.
Way 4. Disable All Sound Effects
If you’ve ever enabled some sound effects in Windows 10, you can disable all sound effects to see if it fixes Windows 10 sound distorted issue.
- Open Control Panel in Windows 10, click Hardware and Sound -> Sound.
- Right-click your Speakers, and click Properties.
- Click Enhancements tab, and click Disable all enhancements.
- Click Apply and click OK to save the changes.
Have the Windows 10 volume too low problem? Try the 6 tips in this tutorial to fix Windows 10 laptop/computer sound too low issue.
Way 5. Disable “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” option
- You can follow the same operation in Way 4 to enter into computer Speakers Properties window.
- Next click Advanced tab, and make sure the “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” option is not checked. Save the settings.
- Then you can check if the sound distortion Windows 10 issue has been solved.
Way 6. Restore or Reset Windows 10
If nothing helps in fixing Windows 10 sound distortion issue, then you may choose to restore or reset Windows 10 in case that the problem is existed in the system.
Before you restore or reset Windows 10, it’s advised that you use Windows 10 backup and recovery tools to back up the Windows 10 OS and important data beforehand.
If you mistakenly deleted some important files or lost some data because of computer problems, you can use MiniTool Power Data Recovery to easily recover any deleted/lost files from Windows 10 computer. It also allows you to recover data from external hard drive, USB, SD card, etc.