Do you know you can insert line numbers in your Word document to help you or other people find the specific line quickly? This feature is not enabled by default. In this post, we will show you how to add line numbers in Word in different situations. No matter you are using the Word new versions or Office 2007 - 2020, you can find the steps you want to know.
Microsoft Word can automatically count the lines in a Word document. This feature is especially useful if you need to mention some specific lines in a long Word document. However, the Word line numbers will not show in the document by default. You need to enable this feature manually.
In this post, MiniTool Software will show you how to add line numbers in Word according to your requirements.
How to Add Numbers in Word?
Add Line Numbers in Word
Before inserting line numbers in Word, you should know these things:
- You can number lines to all or part of a Word document.
- The line numbers can only be viewed in the Print Layout view.
- A table is counted as a line.
- A figure is counted as a line
- The lines inside a text box are not counted.
Why is my Word document black? After reading this post, you will know the reasons and how to make your Microsoft Word go back to normal.
How to Add Line Number to the Entire Word Document?
- Click the Layout tab on the top Page setup
- Click Line Numbers to open the drop-down list.
- You will see the following options that can be used to add Word line numbers. You can select one as per your requirements
- Continuous: number lines consecutively in the document.
- Restart Each Page: start with number 1 on each page.
- Restart Each Section: start with number 1 after each section break.
- Line Numbering Options: customize the positions of the Word line numbers.
How to Add Line Number to a Section or Multiple Sections?
- Select the sections you want to insert line numbers in Word.
- Click the Layout tab.
- Click Line Numbers.
- Click Line Numbering Options.
- Go to the Layout tab.
- Click Selected sections under Apply to.
- Click Line Numbers.
- Check the Add line numbering option and then select your needed options to number Word lines.
Remove Line Numbers in Word
It is very simple to remove line numbers from the entire document, a section, or a paragraph. You can follow these steps:
- Click any content in Word (if you want to remove line numbers in the whole document), or click the sections or paragraphs (if you want to remove line numbers in a section or a paragraph).
- Switch to the Layout tab.
- Click Line Numbers to open its drop-down list.
- If you want to remove all line numbers in Word, you need to select None. If you just want to remove line numbers from a single paragraph, you need to select Suppress for Current Paragraph.
Those are the steps to add and remove line numbers in Word.
Additional: Recover Your Word Documents
There should be some important contents in your Word documents. If you lose them by mistake, you can use the free data recovery software MiniTool Power Data Recovery to get them back.
This software can recover all kinds of files from your computer hard drive, SD card, memory card, and more. It can work under multiple situations including mistaken deletion, virus attack, disk inaccessible, hard drive corruption, and more.
It has a trial edition and you can use it to perform a drive scanning and find your needed files.
If you think this data recovery software is useful, you can upgrade it to an advanced edition and use it to recover all your needed files.
Now you know how to add line numbers in Word according to your requirements. Should you have any related issues, you can let us know in the comment. We will reply to you as soon as possible.