.NET 5 is the successor to .NET Core 3.1 and .NET Framework 4.8, designed to provide .NET developers with a new cross-platform development experience. This post from MiniTool tells you how to download and install .NET Core 5.
What’s New in .NET 5
.NET 5 is the next major release after .NET Core 3.1. Microsoft named this new version .NET 5 instead of .NET Core 4 for two reasons:
- Skipped version number 4.x to avoid confusion with .NET Framework 4.x.
- Removed “Core” from the name to emphasize that this is the main implementation of the future of .NET. .NET 5 supports more types of applications and more platforms than .NET Core or .NET Framework.
Some Windows 11/10 users want to install .NET framework 4.8. Where to get the .NET framework 4.8 download? How to install it? This post provides details.
ASP.NET Core 5.0 is based on .NET 5, but the name “Core” is reserved to avoid confusion with ASP.NET MVC 5. Likewise, Entity Framework Core 5.0 reserves the name “Core” to avoid compatibility with Entity Framework 5 and 6.
Compared to .NET Core 3.1, .NET 5 includes the following improvements and new features:
- C# update
- F# update
- Visual Basic Update
- New in System.Text.Json
- single file application
- Apply to prune
- Windows Arm64 and Arm64 intrinsics
- Tool support for dump debugging
- Performance improvements
.NET 5 Supported Systems
It is only compatible with Visual Studio 2019 16.8 Preview 4 and above. .NET 5 also supports only the following Windows and Server variants:
- Windows 10 version 1703 or later Editions – Home, Professional, Education, and Enterprise (LTSC and S are not supported)
- Windows Server 2019 Editions – Standard Edition and Data Center Edition
- Windows Server 2016 Editions – Standard Edition and Data Center Edition
- Windows 8.1 (with update KB2919355) Editions – Core, Professional, and Enterprise
- Windows Server 2012 R2 with update KB2919355 Versions – Essentials, Standard, Datacenter
- Windows 7 SP1 (with latest Windows Updates) editions – Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate
Additionally, binaries are also available for x86, x64, ARM64, macOS, and Linux systems.
.NET 5 Download
This past is about NET 5 download. The latest release date is May 10, 2022. There are different versions and you should download them based on your system.
.NET Runtime 5.0.17
ASP.NET Core Runtime 5.0.17
.NET Desktop Runtime 5.0.17
.NET 5 Install
Step 1: Double-click the installation to run the .NET 5. Then, click Install on the installation wizard.
Step 2: The installation will start. Click Close once it has been installed successfully.
Step 3: You have now installed .NET 5.
Tip: This release has reached end of life, meaning it is no longer supported. It’s recommended to download and install .NET 6.