SanDisk/Seagate External Hard Drive/WD My Passport Set Address Failed
Sometimes, when you connect an external USB device like a WD my passport, Seagate external hard drive, or SanDisk drive to your computer, you may discover that the drive doesn’t work. Then, you can check whether there is something wrong with the drive.
There are some common errors like:
- Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)
- Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)
- Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)
- And more…
MiniTool Software hasn’t talked about the Unknown USB Device Set Address Failed issue. In this post, we will show you some solutions.
These solutions are available for WD my passport set address failed, Seagate external hard drive set address failed, and SanDisk set address failed. Of course, if you are using other brands of USB devices, they can also work.
If you are sure the exact reason for this issue, you can try these solutions one by one until you find the most suitable one for your case.
In this post, we will introduce how to recover data from a RAW USB flash drive and how to fix the RAW USB flash drive.
How to solve unknown USB device set address failed?
- Modify Power Options
- Update or roll back the device driver
- Use Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
- Turn off Fast Startup
Solution 1: Modify Power Options
If you are using a laptop, you need to check whether the setting in Power Option is set correctly. You can follow these steps to modify Power Options:
1. Press Win+R to open Run.
2. Type powercfg.cpl and press Enter to directly open Power Options.
3. Click the Change plan settings link that is next to the preferred plan the system selects.
4. Click the Change advanced power settings link to continue.
5. Scroll down to the USB settings section and then set Disable for both the scenarios: On Battery and Plugged in.
6. Click OK to keep the change.
Solution 2: Update or Roll Back the USB Device Driver
If the USB device driver is not up-to-date, the Unknown USB Device Set Address Failed error can appear. On the other hand, this issue can also happen after you update the device driver. You need to verify which situation you are facing and then choose to update or roll back the USB device driver.
- If you need to update the device driver, you can refer to this post: How to Update USB Drivers Windows 10/11..
- If you need to roll back the device driver, you can refer to this post: How to Roll Back a Driver in Windows? A Step-by-Step Guide.
This post introduces the common USB drive issues, as well as the best and easiest fixes to help you fix a broken USB drive.
Solution 3: Use Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
You can also use the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter to get rid of the Unknown USB Device Set Address Failed issue. You just need to go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Hardware and Devices, and then follow the on-screen guide to do the job.
Solution 4: Turn off Fast Startup
1. Press Win+R to open Run.
2. Type cpl and press Enter to directly open Power Options.
3. Click Choose what the power button does.
4. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
5. Uncheck the Turn on fast start-up (recommended).
Those are the solutions to Unknown USB Device Set Address Failed. We hope they can help you out. Should you have any related issues, you can let us know in the comment.