Do you know when did Windows 8 come out? Do you know Windows 8 system requirements? In this post, MiniTool Software will show you some related information you may be interested in.
What Is Windows 8?
Windows 8 is one of the major releases of the Windows NT operating system. It is designed and developed by Microsoft. It is the first touch-focused Windows OS line and features major user interface changes over its predecessors.
Windows 8 is preceded by Windows 7 and succeeded by Windows 10. Now, the latest version of Windows is Windows 11, which was officially released on Oct 5, 2021. Until June, 2022, the worldwide market share of Windows 8 is about 0.67%. Windows 8.1, the update for Windows 8, takes up 2.83% market share.
Windows 8 Release Date
Windows 8 was released to manufacturing on August 1, 2012. Then, on August 15, 2012, Microsoft made it available to be downloaded via MSDN and TechNet. Later, it was released to retail on October 26, 2012.
- Windows 11 22H2 release date
- Windows 10 release date
- Windows 7 release date
- Windows 12 may arrive in 2024
Windows 8 System Requirements
If you want to install Windows 8 on your device, you need to check if your PC meets the following requirements:
- CPU: 1 GHz with NX, PAE, and SSE2 support (CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW, and LAHF/SAHF support for 64-bit versions)
- RAM: 1 GB (2 GB for 64-bit versions)
- Hard Drive: 16 GB free space (20 GB free for 64-bit versions)
- Graphic Card: A GPU that supports at least DirectX 9 with a WDDM driver
Of course, new computers have advanced configurations. You can feel free to install Windows 8 on your new device. However, if you are using an old computer (bought before the release of Windows 8), you’d better check if it meets the above requirements.
Windows 8.1 Release Date
Windows 8.1 is a feature update to Windows 8.
- May 14, 2013: Windows 8.1 was officially announced by Microsoft.
- June 26, 2013: Microsoft released a public beta version of the upgrade.
- August 27, 2013: Microsoft released Windows 8.1 to OEM hardware partners.
- September 9, 2013: Microsoft released the RTM build on MSDN and TechNet
- October 17, 2013: Microsoft released a free upgrade via Windows Store.
Windows 8 Editions
These are the available editions of Windows 8:
- Windows 8.1 Pro
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise
- Windows RT 8.1
Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 8.1 are two editions sold directly to the consumer. Windows 8.1 Enterprise is for large organizations.
Windows 8 End of Support
The support for Windows 8 has already ended on January 12, 2016. Microsoft will end the support for Windows 8.1 on January 10, 2023.
If you still want to get security protections from Microsoft, you’d better upgrade your system to Windows 10 or Windows 11.
Recover Lost and Deleted Files on Windows 8/8.1
MiniTool Power data Recovery is a professional data recovery software that works on all versions of Windows. Windows 8/8.1 is included.
This MiniTool software is a must on your device. If you permanently delete a file by mistake, you can use it to scan the drive that previously saves the file and see if it can find it. You can use the trail edition to have a try in advance.
If you want to use this software to recover your data, you need to upgrade to a full edition.
Now, you should know Windows 8 release date and when Microsoft ended the support for it. Windows 8.1 is still in service now. Should you have other related issues, you can let us know in the comment.
User Comments :Post Comment