The Intel Data Migration Software copies your drive's contents from your old storage device to your new Intel Solid State Drive (Intel SSD). However, you may encounter the “Intel Data Migration Software not cloning “ issue when using it. Don’t worry! This post from MiniTool helps you fix the issue.
What Is Intel Data Migration Software
Intel Data Migration Software is used to copy the contents of a drive from an old storage device to a new Intel Solid State Drive (SSD). It can be used to copy the operating system, applications, personal files, and more from the old storage device to the new Intel SSD. You can also choose to delete all data from the old hard drive.
Note: Intel Data Migration Software has ended in 2020. All versions are provided as-is and updates are not supported.
When Need to Migrate Data to Intel SSD
Why do you need to migrate data to Intel SSD? Here are 3 main reasons:
1. Replace HDD or upgrade SSD - With advanced technology, the solid-state drive has higher performance and is easier to afford. More and more computer users are willing to replace old HDDs with Intel SSDs or upgrade old smaller SSDs to new larger Intel SSDs.
2. Protect data security - There may be many problems with the computer, which will lead to data loss or system damage. Therefore, computer users need to migrate data to another safe place to protect data security.
3. Implement the same layout on another computer - If the current existing operating system and applications meet the needs of computer users, they may want to have the same layout on another hard drive. Therefore, data migration is required to achieve the same layout on another hard disk.
Intel Data Migration Software Issues
Intel Data Migration Software users have discovered some issues when using HDD/SSD to SSD cloning software to copy/migrate/clone content from an old storage drive to a new Intel SSD. Below is an example of Intel SSD users finding it difficult to clone HDD to Intel SSD.
- Intel Data Migration Software not detecting SSD
- Intel Data Migration Software black screen after reboot
- Intel Data Migration Software not working
- Intel Data Migration Software not cloning
In the following part, we will introduce how to fix the “Intel Data Migration Software not cloning” issue. If you encounter other Intel Data Migration Software issues such as Intel Data Migration Software not working, and Intel Data Migration Software not detecting SSD, you can also try the following solutions.
How to Fix Intel Data Migration Software Not Cloning
How to fix the “Intel Data Migration Software not cloning“ issue? First, you need to follow the steps to fix the improper file system in Windows 7/8/10 to check errors for all partitions on the Intel SSD:
Step 1: Press the Windows + E keys together to open File Explorer.
Step 2: Right-click the Intel SSD drive letter to choose Properties > Tools.
Step 3: At the Error checking option, please press the Check button.
Besides, you should check the connection. For desktops, you should plug the Intel SSD into the motherboard's SATA connector. And for laptops, you should use a SATA-to-USB cable to connect the SSD to the computer.
If the above solutions are not working, you can try Intel Data Migration Software alternatives. Next, we will introduce how to use them one by one.
Intel Data Migration Software Alternatives
1. MiniTool ShadowMaker
The first Intel Data Migration alternative is MiniTool ShadowMaker. It is a piece of professional backup software, which supports data migration with several SSD brands, not limited to Intel.
It is also a piece of backup software, providing disk backup solutions including file backup and restore, partitioning, and most importantly, cloning. It can even clone a system drive to make a bootable Windows 10/8/7/11 OS. We highly recommend this safe and free solution for cloning disks. It also enables you to back up files to the network drive.
Now, we will show you the full steps of cloning a hard drive. Download a free MiniTool ShadowMaker Trial Edition for 30 days.
Before you start, you need to connect your SSD to the computer.
Step 1: Launch the software and click Keep Trial to continue.
Step 2: After entering its main interface, you need to click Tools in the toolbar and click Clone Disk.
Step 3: In the popup windows, you need to choose the system disk and target disk. Click Start to continue.
Note: All data on the target disk will be destroyed, so you should backup all data firstly on this disk.
Step 4: You will see a popup window. You need to read it carefully and click OK to continue and wait for this process to finish.
1. Wait for a few minutes for MiniTool ShadowMaker to perform the hard drive clone process. The cloning time is in proportional to the disk size.
2. After the process is 100% completed successfully, a pop-up window will ask you whether you want to shut down your computer now.
- You can choose to shut down at a later time.
- If you choose to shut down now, make sure you only connect ONE of your source or destination drives before you boot the computer the first time after the clone.
- If more than one disk is connected to the computer at boot time, one disk may be marked as offline by the Windows operating system.
- Only connect the disk you want to use at the moment.
Due to different cloning needs, the specific operations are different.
① If you want to use and boot the operating system from the destination drive, you can mark the target one online by either:
- Shutting down your computer and remove the original disk.
- Keeping the original drive in your computer and changing the BIOS boot order to reboot from the new disk.
② If you only want to make a disk backup to the SSD or new hard drive:
After the cloning operation is completed, you can remove the target disk from your computer.
2. MiniTool Partition Wizard
In the above part, we show you how to clone a hard drive to SSD for free in Windows 11/10/8/7 with MiniTool ShadowMaker. In addition to MiniTool ShadowMaker, MiniTool Partition Wizard is also one of the best tool to clone a hard drive.
How to clone a hard drive to SSD in Windows 11/10/8/7 with this clone hard drive software? Get a free download of MiniTool Partition Wizard and try its Migrate OS to SSD/HD or Copy Disk feature to clone data disk. Note that if you need to deal with the system disk, you need to get its Pro Edition or an advanced one:
1. Migrate OS to SSD/HD
This feature can only work on the system disk. Using it, you can copy all partitions on the system disk to another disk or only clone the system-required partitions.
2. Copy Disk
It enables you to clone all the content of the entire hard disk including the system disk or data disk to another hard drive.
How to clone the HDD to SSD for hard drive replacement? Take Migrate OS to SSD/HD as an example. The details are here.
Step 1: Choose a Feature to Migrate HDD to SSD
- Launch MiniTool Partition Wizard.
- Click Migrate OS to SSD/HD Wizard from the Wizard menu.
Step 2: Choose a Cloning Option
- If you want to replace your system disk with another hard disk, A is available.
- If you want to only move the operating system to another disk, B is proper.
- Here, you intend to replace the hard drive with SSD, so here A is suitable.
Step 3: Choose a Target Disk
- Decide the destination disk you want to use to replace your system disk. Here please choose the SSD you have connected to your laptop.
- During migration, the content of the destination disk will be deleted. Thus, you had better prepare an empty SSD. But, if your SSD holds many important files, ensure they are backed up before.
Step 4: Check One Copy Option
- From the following figure, choose a copy option based on your needs.
- For an SSD or advanced format disk, please align all partitions to 1MB, which can improve the computer's performance.
- If you want to clone the OS disk with MBR to GPT disk, the Free Edition of MiniTool Partition Wizard is not supported. Get the Professional Edition or an advanced edition when there is a need.
Step 5: Then a window pops up to tell you what you need to do to ensure your laptop can be booted from this destination disk.
Step 6: Execute all the operations you have made by hitting the Apply button at last.
Have you encountered the error – Intel Data Migration Software not cloning? How to fix the issue on your PC? After reading this post, you know what you should do – try some ways to get rid of the error and try the Intel Data Migration Software alternatives – MiniTool ShadowMaker and MiniTool Partition Wizard.
If you have any other solutions that are proven to be useful to fix the issue on your computer, let us know by leaving a comment below. Thanks a lot.
Intel Data Migration Software Not Cloning FAQ
Intel Data Migration Software is a tool that helps users to migrate data from an old hard drive to a new Intel SSD. While the software is designed to work with Intel SSDs, it cannot be used to migrate data to other brands of SSDs and is not compatible with other brands of SSDs.
You can use User State Migration Tool (USMT) to streamline and simplify user state migration during large deployments of Windows operating systems. USMT captures user accounts, user files, operating system settings, and application settings, and then migrates them to a new Windows installation.
Data migration and ETL are somewhat similar in that they involve moving information from one source to another. However, data migration does not involve changing the format, whereas ETL does.