SD card command volume partition disk failed is an issue that may happen when you insert a card into the Android device or after updating your Android device. Now, in this post, we will show you the solutions to the command 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 26, 40…volume partition disk failed issues.
Android Ruined My SD Card: Command Volume Partition Disk Failed
SD cards are usually used to increase the internal storage space of Android. And they always assist you to save some valuable information like photos, videos, text files, and more.
When using an SD card on Android, the device may ask you to format the card and you operate it as required. An unfortunate issue may happen to your SD card: command volume partition disk failed.
What does this problem look like? Let’s see a real case as follows:
The above user updated his Android phone and the device let him format the inserted SD card. But, the formatting process ended in failure and the user got a damaged SD card that can’t be formatted on Android. The only useful information the user got was an error message: command ‘7 volume partition disk:179,64 public’ failed with ‘null’.
Additionally, this issue may also occur when you insert the SD card into the Android phone and the card is shown as “unsupported”. Likewise, the device asks you to format the card but you only receive the command volume partition disk failed error.
“SD card volume partition disk failed with null” is a typical error message while the error message you receive could vary.
The error messages can also be command ‘10 volume partition disk:179,64 private’ failed with ‘400 10 command failed’, command ‘13 volume partition disk:179,0 public’ failed with ‘400 13 command failed’, common ‘21 volume partition disk:179,64 public’ failed with null command ‘26 volume partition disk:179,128 private’ failed with ‘400 26 command failed’, or some other similar error codes.
Why does this issue happen? The top reasons include:
- The card is damaged or corrupted.
- There are some hardware issues on your Android phone.
- Android update corrupted SD card.
The effective solution to get rid of “SD card volume partition disk failed with null” is to format the SD card on your computer but not on your Android device.
Before doing this, there is one important thing you should know: formatting an SD card will delete all files on the card, so, you need to back up its files before formatting.
If you forget to make such a backup, it’s not too late. You can still use a third-party data recovery software to get your important data back. MiniTool Power Data Recovery is such a good choice to recover data from an SD card.
Here are the methods to run CHKDSK to fix corrupted or damaged SD cards and the best way to recover data from a failed SD card.
How to Recover Data from a Damaged SD Card with MiniTool
MiniTool Power Data Recovery is a special file recovery tool that can be used to rescue your data from different kinds of storage devices in various data loss situations. SD cards are the supported devices. Moreover, it can find both existing and deleted data on the storage devices.
This software has four recovery modules and the Removable Disk Drive module is specially designed to restore data from the external USB drives such as SD cards, memory cards, USB sticks, and so forth.
With the trial edition of this software, you can go to check whether this program can find the files you want to restore. You can click on the following download button to get this free software.
In the following guide, we will walk you through the detailed steps to use this software to retrieve files from the corrupted SD card on Windows 10.
1. Remove the SD card from your Android phone and insert it into a card reader.
2. Connect the card reader to your computer.
3. Open the software to enter its main interface.
4. Switch to the Removable Disk Drive module.
5. This software will automatically display the SD card it can detect on the software. If the target card is not here, you can press the Refresh button to make the software recognize it. Then, select the card and press the Scan button to begin the scanning process.
6. The software will begin to scan the selected SD card. When it ends, the software will show you a list on the left side of the software interface.
It is a path list where the scan results are listed. You can click each path to see the detailed items in it.
7. MiniTool Power Data Recovery Trial Edition doesn’t allow you to recover the selected files. However, you can update it a full edition to finish the data recovery process.
In the MiniTool official store center, there are various editions for different users. If you are a personal user, the Personal Deluxe Edition can fully meet your need.
After receiving the license key, you can press the Register button on the scan result interface to register the software directly. Next, you can select your needed data and press the Save button to choose a proper path to save these items.
At last, you can access the specified storage location to view and use these recovered files immediately.
While, if you are using a Mac computer, MiniTool offers you a free Mac data recovery software to rescue your SD card data. This tool is MiniTool Mac Data Recovery. To retrieve data from a damaged SD card, you need to use the Damaged Partition Recovery module.
Now, your important files on the SD card are safe. The next step is to format the SD card that is bothered by “SD card volume partition disk failed with null” to its normal state.
Fix Command Volume Partition Disk Failed: Format the Card
There is more than one way to format the SD card to normal. Keep the connection between the SD card and your PC, and choose one way from the following three ways according to your own will.
Choice 1: Use File Explorer to Format the SD Card
The most commonly used method to format an SD card is to use the File Explorer.
Here is a guide:
1. Go to This PC.
2. Find the inserted SD card and right-click on it.
3. Choose Format from the popup menu.
4. The format interface pops out. Then, you need to select the properties according to your own needs and press the Start button to continue.
5. You will see a confirm window. Press the OK button to start the formatting process.
6. When the process ends, you will see another window pops up saying Format Complete. Press OK and then press Close to quit all the pop-out windows.
Choice 2: Use Disk Management to Format the SD Card
1. Right-click on the Windows button on the desktop and then choose Disk Management from the popup menu.
2. On the Disk Management interface, locate to the target SD card and right-click on it. Then, choose Format from the popup menu.
3. On the following popup window, you need to select the Volume label, File system, and Allocation unit size for the SD card. At the same time, you can also choose to perform a quick format or not. Then, press the OK button to continue.
4. There will be another popup window that reminds you to back up your data on the card. Since you have recovered your needed files to a safe location, you just need to press the OK button to continue.
5. The formatting process starts. You can see a Formatting word in that partition. When the formatting process completes, the partition will be shown as normal.
The strange “common 21 volume partition disk 179,64 public failed with null error” hinders me formatting my SD card on Android. However, I can do the work on my computer with these three ways.Click to Tweet
Choice 3: Use MiniTool Partition Wizard to Format the SD Card
Besides using the MiniTool snap-in tools to format the SD card that is bothered by the command volume partition disk failed issue, you can also use a powerful third-party tool, MiniTool Partition Wizard, to do such a job.
This program is an all-in-one partition manager that has many useful features like migrating OS to SSD/HD, creating partition, formatting partition, etc. Format Partition is a free feature in this software.
Now download this software on your computer and then use it to format your SD card that has the command volume partition disk failed issue.
Then, it is a detailed guide:
1. Launch MiniTool Partition Wizard to enter its main interface.
2. Find the SD card and right-click on it.
3. Select Format from the pop-out menu.
4. On the second, you can choose the Partition Label, File System, and Cluster Size according to your own requirements. Then, press OK to go back to the software main interface.
5. You can preview the format effect on the software main interface. When you are sure everything is right, you can press the Apply button to save all the changes.
You may discover that this way is more simple compared to the above two ways. MiniTool Partition Wizard even allows you to preview the operation effect, which can effectively avoid misoperation.
In short, just choose one way you prefer to use to repair your SD card.
After formatting your SD card with one of these three ways, the “SD card volume partition disk failed with null” issue should disappear.
However, if this error message still persists, the SD card should be physically damaged. In this situation, you will need to replace the card with a new one.
When your Android phone fails to format your SD card and even causes the command volume partition disk failed issue, it’s time to format the card on your computer. The formatting methods are varied, and you can choose a preferred way.
Should you have any questions when dealing with the “command 10 volume partition disk error” or the similar issues, you can contact us via [email protected] or let us know in the comment. You can also share your unique opinions with us.