When you use iTunes to manage your iPhone, you may encounter different kinds of error. “iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value is missing” is a typical representative. To solve this issue, we discover some available methods and now we will show them in this MiniTool post.
Quick Navigation :
- iTunes Could not Connect to This iPhone the Value Is Missing iPhone 7/8/X/5S
- Fix 1: Upgrade iTunes and iOS to the Latest Version
- Fix 2: Uninstall and Reinstall iTunes and the Related Components
- Fix 3: Rescue Data, Put iPhone into DFU Mode and Restore It
- Fix 4: Restore Your iPhone Data with MiniTool
- iTunes VS. MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS
- Bottom Line
- iTunes Could Not Connect to This iPhone the Value Is Missing iPhone FAQ
- User Comments
iTunes Could not Connect to This iPhone the Value Is Missing iPhone 7/8/X/5S
iTunes is a media player, media library, Internet radio broadcaster, and mobile device management application that is developed by Apple Inc. When you forget the passcode for your iPhone or your iPhone is disabled, you can use iTunes to erase your device so as to remove the passcode.
Do you know how to recover data from a locked/disabled iPhone? Read this article to learn how to do this job with MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS.
However, the process might not be as smooth as expected. You may encounter the iPhone disabled value is missing issue as follows:
My iPhone was disabled and even though I have been trying to troubleshoot it by connecting it to iTunes, a message “iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value is missing” pops up. I am unable to continue from here. Please help me rectify the situation so that I can unlock my phone and restore the data to the iPhone.
The following picture is about how “iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value is missing” is shown in front of you.
Indeed, the “iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value is missing” error can also happen when you want to use iTunes to do other things such as backing up or restoring your iPhone/iPad/iPod, updating iOS, and more. That is to say, this error can happen when you use iTunes to manage your iOS device.
Do you want to get rid of this error message? Now, press the OK button on the interface and try the solutions we will mention in the following contents to help you out. Of course, these solutions can also fix the “iTunes could not connect to this iPad/iPod. The value is missing” issue for you.
Fix 1: Upgrade iTunes and iOS to the Latest Version
“iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value is missing” error may pop up when the versions of iTunes and iOS are outdated. So, why not update your iTunes and iOS to have a try?
Step 1: Upgrade iOS to the Latest Version
Since you can’t use iTunes to update your iOS when this “iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value is missing” issue happens, you need to do the work wirelessly.
To update your iOS wirelessly, please follow these steps:
- Plug your iPhone into power and connect it to the Internet with Wi-Fi.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Press Download and Install.
- If you protect your iPhone with a passcode, you need to enter it to continue.
- Press Install Now.
When the iOS version of your iPhone is updated, you need to refer to step 2 to upgrade your iTunes.
Do you know how to recover files after iOS upgrade? This post shows 3 different ways to recover lost data and files after upgrading to the latest iOS.
Step 2: Upgrade iTunes to the Latest Version
To do this job, you can follow these steps:
- Open iTunes.
- Go to Help > Check for Updates.
- The software will begin checking for update automatically. If there is an available new version, you can follow the wizard to complete the update process.
When the iTunes update process ends, you can go to check whether the value is missing error is disappeared.
Have you ever encountered iTunes error 9 when you use iTunes to restore your iPhone? Now, you can read this post to learn some available solutions.
Fix 2: Uninstall and Reinstall iTunes and the Related Components
If the “iTunes could not connect to this iPhone the value is missing” issue still persists after updating iTunes, you need to uninstall iTunes and all the related components. Then, reinstall iTunes again.
Step 1: Uninstall iTunes and the Related Components
To uninstall iTunes and the related components, please follow these steps:
1. Right-click on the Win
2. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
3. Go to find iTunes. Then, right-click on it and choose Uninstall from the popup menu.
4. Press Yes on the pop-out window.
The iTunes uninstalling process will start automatically. When it ends, you can use the same way to uninstall the related components such as Bonjour, QuickTime, Apple Mobile Device Support, Apple Software Update, and so forth.
Then, you need to reboot your computer after these installations.
Step 2: Install iTunes Again
When your computer boots successfully, you can open Google and go to the Apple official site to download the latest iTunes version.
After completing these two moves, you can go to check whether your iPhone can be connected with iTunes normally.
If the iPhone is disabled connect to iTunes value is missing or the similar issue still occurs, use the next solution to have a try.
Fix 3: Rescue Data, Put iPhone into DFU Mode and Restore It
The only way to remove the passcode for your iPhone is to restore the device via iTunes. When you are bothered by iPhone disabled value is missing, you can first put the device into DFU mode and then restore it with iTunes.
However, if the files on the device are important, you’d better rescue them before restoring your iPhone to factory settings. So, your first step is to rescue the files on your device.
Step 1: Rescue Your iPhone Data with MiniTool
How to recover data from a disabled iPhone?
MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS can do such a job for you. But, there is an important premise: you have let your iPhone trust your computer before. If your situation meets this requirement, you can use this third-party tool to rescue your iPhone data before restoring it.
Now, press the following button to get MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS Free Edition to have a try.
In the following guide, we will walk you through the detailed steps to use this software to rescue data from your iPhone directly.
1. Connect your iPhone to your computer and open the software. You will directly enter the Recover from iOS Device
2. Your iPhone will be displayed on the software automatically. Then, click on the Scan button to continue.
3. When the scanning process ends, you will see the scan results with both deleted and existing files on your iPhone.
4. The data types are listed on the left side of the interface. You can press each of them and find the files you want to rescue.
5. With the Free Edition of this software, you can recover certain types of files for free. You can see the details here: Functional Limitations in MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS.
For example, if you want to recover photos from your disabled iPhone, press Photos from the left list and check the items you want to recover. Then, press the Recover button and choose a suitable path to save them.
If you want to use this software to recover your iPhone data without limits, you can update it to a full edition.
Now, your iPhone data is safe. You can feel free to restore your iPhone to factory reset.
Step 2: Put iPhone into DFU Mode and Restore It via iTunes
1. Turn off your iPhone and open iTunes.
2. Connect your device to your computer and then put your iPhone into DFU mode.
3. iTunes will pop up a message saying that There is a problem with the iPhone “your iPhone name” that requires it to be updated and restored. Then, click the Restore button to continue.
4. Press Restore and Update on the pop-up window.
5. Follow the wizards to complete the restore and update process.
This fix can fully avoid iPhone disabled value is missing error to remove the passcode for your iPhone.
iPhone stuck in recovery mode? Please use the free iPhone data recovery software - MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS to recover its data after fixing your device.
Fix 4: Restore Your iPhone Data with MiniTool
If you can’t back up your iPhone data with MiniTool due to the “iTunes Could not Connect to This iPhone. The value is missing” error, you can use iCloud to back up your iPhone instead.
However, if you need to restore your iPhone with iTunes but the iTunes could not connect to this iPhone the value is missing iPhone 7/8/X issue interrupts the process, you will need to use an alternative way to restore your data from the previous iTunes backup file.
Here, you can also try MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS and its Recover from iTunes Backup File module.
1. Open the software and choose the Recover from iTunes Backup File module to continue.
2. The previous iTunes backup file will be listed on the software. If not, you need to press the Select button to find out the target iTunes backup file from your computer manually.
3. Choose the iTunes back up file and press Scan to start the scanning process.
4. When the scanning ends, you will see the scan results as well. Then, choose each data type from the left list and check your needed files. Then, press Recover to save them to a safe location.
Still, you need to update this software to an advanced edition to recover all your needed iOS data without limitations.
iTunes VS. MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS
After reading the above contents, you see that both iTunes and MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS can be used to back up and restore your iPhone data. But which one is your best choice.
Indeed, each has its own merits.
When You Want to Back up Your iPhone Data
Both of these two tools will back up your iPhone data to your computer. The differences are as follows:
- iTunes will save your iPhone data as a file which can’t be open directly.
- MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS will save the files to the computer as their original formats and you can use them directly.
When You Want to Restore Your iPhone Data
The data restore modes of these two tools are totally different:
- When you restore your iPhone data from an iTunes backup, the backup file will replace all the current data on your device. That is, if some of the current files on your iPhone are not included in the backup file, they will be missing then.
- When you recover iPhone files with this MiniTool software, you are able to only choose the needed files manually and save them on your computer. This tool is especially useful when you only need to retrieve the deleted files on your computer.
See! Both of these two programs have their own advantages. You can choose one according to your own situations.
Still bothered by this “iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value is missing” error when using iTunes to manage your iPhone? Why not try these 4 methods in this post to help you get rid of it?
Should you have any question when dealing with this issue, you can send an email to [email protected] or let us know in the comment. You can also share your opinions and suggestions with us here.
iTunes Could Not Connect to This iPhone the Value Is Missing iPhone FAQ
- Upgrade both iTunes and iCloud to the latest versions
- Re-install iTunes on your computer
- Put your iPhone into DFU mode and then restore it to factory settings
- Connect your iPhone to your computer.
- Open iTunes.
- Turn off your iPhone.
- Press and hold the Power button for about 3 seconds.
- Don’t release the Power button. Press and hold the Home button for about 10 seconds. (If you see the Apple logo, you press too long and you need to start anew)
- Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button for about 5 seconds. (If you see the Plug into iTunes screen, you press too long and you need to start anew)
If the screen still stays black, you enter the DFU mode successfully.
Take an iPhone X as an example:
- Press and hold the Side button and one volume button at the same time and then release them when you see the power off slider.
- Drag the slider to turn off your iPhone.
- Connect your device to your computer while holding the Side button.
- Keep holding the Side button until you see the recovery mode screen.
- Open iTunes.
- When you see a window pops up, you need to select Restore from that window.
Then, you need to wait until the whole process ends. At last, the password is removed from your iPhone and you can use the device as a new one.