Why won’t my computer let me uninstall Google Chrome?
Generally you can uninstall Chrome from your Windows 10 PC through control panel. However, some users reflect that they can’t uninstall Chrome in Windows 10, and it pops up an error message “Please close all Google Chrome windows and try again”.
In this tutorial, you can learn how to fix can’t uninstall Chrome Windows 10 problem with 4 solutions and learn 2 ways to uninstall Google Chrome from your PC.
How to Fix Can’t Uninstall Google Chrome Windows 10 Problem?
If you are unable to uninstall Chrome from your Windows 10 computer, you can check the solutions below to help you remove Google Chrome.
Fix 1. Stop Any Running Google Chrome Processes with Task Manager
If you see an error message asking you to close all Chrome processes when trying to uninstall Chrome, you can follow the instructions below to force close all running Chrome processes.
- You can press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager in Windows 10.
- Next click Process tab, and find Google Chrome application in the list. Right-click Google Chrome and click End Task to close Chrome.
- If you find other Chrome processes in Task Manager, you can follow the same way to force quit all of them.
After you close all Chrome processes with Task Manager, you can then try to uninstall Chrome from your Windows 10 computer again.
You can download Tor browser for your Windows 10/11 PC, Mac, Android, or iOS devices for anonymous web browsing. Check how to install Tor browser in this post.
Fix 2. Stop Running Background Apps When Google Chrome Is Closed
You can also try to disable “Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed” option in Chrome browser settings. After you disable this setting, it may help you fix can’t uninstall Chrome Windows 10 issue.
- You can open Google Chrome browser, and click the three-dot icon at the upper-right corner to open Chrome Settings.
- Next scroll down in Settings window to find Advanced option and click it.
- Then disable the Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed option under System section.
Close Google Chrome and check if you can smoothly uninstall Google Chrome from Windows 10 now.
Here are some top free IP address lookup tools/websites to let you easily find the detailed information of an IP like the IP address/location, ISP, proxy, etc.
Fix 3. Disable All Google Chrome Extensions
A bad browser extension may also cause that you can’t uninstall Chrome in Windows 10. You can follow the operation below to disable all Chrome browser extensions to see if it can fix this issue.
- Open Google Chrome browser, and click the three-dot icon to click More tools -> Extensions. You can also open Chrome and type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar to open Chrome Extensions window.
- Next disable or remove all extensions. Close Chrome browser and try to uninstall Chrome again.
Fix 4. Scan for Malware or Virus Infection
If you are unable to uninstall Google Chrome from Windows 10, it may be also due to malware or virus infection. You can use Windows Defender or any third-party antivirus software to run a virus scan. And then try the following two ways to uninstall Chrome in Windows 10.
Learn how to download Google Photos app for PC/Android/iPhone/iPad and how to download photos from Google Photos to your PC, Mac, or mobile device.
How to Uninstall Chrome from Windows 10 – 2 Ways
Way 1. Uninstall Google Chrome from Settings
- You can click Start -> Settings, and click Apps.
- Then you can click Apps & features in the left panel, and find Google Chrome in the right window.
- Click Google Chrome and click Uninstall button.
- Click Uninstall button again and tick Also delete your browsing data option in the Uninstall Google Chrome window.
- Click Uninstall button to start removing Chrome from your Windows 10 computer.
Learn about Google Docs and learn how to use Google Docs to create, edit, or share documents on your computer or mobile device.
Way 2. Uninstall Chrome from Control Panel
- You can press Windows + R, type cpl in Run window, and press Enter to open Programs and Features window.
- Find Google Chrome in the list and right-click it to choose Uninstall to remove Google Chrome from your Windows 10 computer.
This post introduces 4 solutions to help you fix can’t uninstall Chrome Windows 10 error and provide 2 ways to allow you uninstall Google Chrome from your Windows computer. Hope it helps.