Microsoft designed the Windows Easy Transfer program to allow Windows users to transfer files and settings to the new computer easily. I have to admit that transferring files by using this application is much convenient than the traditional way. In this post, I will introduce Windows Easy Transfer to you.
Undoubtedly, the most popular way to transfer files from one computer to another is using an external hard drive/USB device.
- Connect the external drive to the computer.
- Copy and paste the files to the external drive.
- Remove it from the current computer and connect it to another computer.
- Copy and paste the files to the target PC.
To get rid of these tedious steps, Microsoft released Windows Easy Transfer; it can help all Windows users transfer files conveniently.
If your important data are lost during the transferring process via the traditional method, you should recover the missing files without any delay with MiniTool Power Data Recovery. In addition, MiniTool also provides many other programs to help you manage PC & solve disk problems quickly.
What is Windows Easy Transfer?
Simply, the Windows Easy Transfer is a file transfer program designed for users of different Windows operating systems. The use limitation is: you can only transfer personal files & settings from the PC running an older version of OS to the PC running a newer version.
The Windows Easy Transfer was released since Windows Vista to replace the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard contained in the Windows XP.
How to Use Windows Easy Transfer
The Windows Easy Transfer is necessary for users who just bought a new computer or upgraded to a new operating system (for instance, from Windows 7 to Windows 10). In this part, I will discuss how to transfer files from PC to PC with this free program.
Transfer Files from Windows 7 to Windows 10
What you can transfer?
- Pictures and photos
- Videos and music files
- User accounts
- Other settings
- Email and browser favorites
As for programs, you should re-install the programs you want in the new computer/OS manually.
Transfer files to new computer Windows 10 (from Windows 7):
Stage one: copy migwiz folder.
- Connect a USB drive to the Windows 7 computer.
- Open the File Explorer (also called Windows Explorer).
- Open Local Disk (C:) and expand Windows folder.
- Expand System32 subfolder and find migwiz folder in it.
- Copy the migwiz folder and paste it to the USB drive.
- Remove the USB drive from the computer when these operations are completed.
Stage two: run Windows Easy Transfer on the old computer/OS.
- Click on the Start button.
- Type Easy Transfer.
- Select Windows Easy Transfer from the result list.
- Click on the Next button in the Welcome window.
- Select A Network option and follow the instructions. (Please select An external hard disk or USB flash drive when you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10.)
- Click This is my old computer link.
- Keep in mind or write down the Windows Easy Transfer key.
- Click Next.
Stage three: run Windows Easy Transfer on the new computer/OS.
- Connect the USB drive and copy & paste the migwiz folder to the PC hard disk.
- Open this folder and double click on exe.
- Click on the Next button.
- Click This is my new computer link.
- Select My old computer is running Windows 7.
- Click Next.
- Enter the Windows Easy Transfer key and click Next.
- Wait for the file scan process.
- Click on the Transfer button to start.
- Wait for the transferring process to complete.
Now, you must have mastered the way to transfer files from PC to PC Windows 10.