What is Disk Drill? Is Disk Drill safe? This post from MiniTool introduces Disk Drill and recommends 5 best data recovery programs to you. You can use them as Disk Drill alternatives when some problems happen to the Disk Drill.
What Is Disk Drill & Is Disk Drill Safe?
What is Disk Drill? Disk Drill is a data recovery utility for both Windows and macOS, developed by Cleverfiles. It is primarily designed to recover deleted or lost files from hard disk drives, USB flash drives, and SSD drives with the help of Recovery Vault technology.
- For the Disk Drill Windows version, it supports Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP and Windows Server 2022/2019/2016/2012/2008 operating systems. In addition, this software allows you to recover data from FAT/FAT32/exFAT, NTFS, HFS & HFS+, APFS, EXT3/EXT4, and RAW file systems.
- For the Disk Drill Mac version, it allows you to recover data from not only Mac OS X devices (from macOS 10.5 "Leopard" to macOS 12 "Monterey"), but also iOS devices (iPhones, iPads, iPods) and Android devices.
Is Disk Drill safe? If you download or buy Disk Drill from its official website, it is a safe program and works normally without causing any harm to PCs and hard drive data. But if you download it from any unreliable websites, it can’t be guaranteed that the software is pure and clean still.
How to Download and Use Disk Drill on Windows
First, you should download the Disk Drill. Please go to the Disk Drill official website and click Data Recovery for Windows. Then, you will see two buttons: Free Download and Upgrade to PRO. Which button should you click? In other words, which version (Free or PRO) should you choose? Let’s have a look at the difference between the two versions.
- Disk Drill Basic (the free version): It can recover data up to 500 MB, create a byte-to-byte disk image file (.dmg) of failing disks, and protect data with Recovery Vault. This feature runs as a background service and remembers all metadata and properties of the deleted data, making it possible to restore deleted files with their original file names and location.
- Disk Drill PRO ($89): It contains everything in the free version and offers an unlimited data recovery feature. In addition, it supports up to 3 simultaneous activations for 1 user. But if you want to get the lifetime upgrades, you need to pay $29 more.
Please download the Disk Drill version you want, and then double-click the setup file to install and launch it.
In this post, we will show you a Disk Drill review that contains various respects including its operation panel, features, and pros & cons.
Disk Drill Alternatives
If the Disk Drill fails to help you recover data or you have encountered other problems when running this software, you may want to switch to another data recovery program. In this part, I will introduce some Disk Drill alternatives to you. You can pick one from them.
1. Minitool Power Data Recovery & MiniTool Partition Wizard
- Supported OS: Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7 and Windows Server 2003/2008/2012/2016/2019 all editions.
- Supported file systems: FAT/FAT32/exFAT, NTFS, RAW, and HFS+.
- Price: $69 for the monthly subscription, $89 for the annual subscription, and $99 for the lifetime upgrade.
As its name implies, MiniTool Power Data Recovery is a professional data recovery program developed by MiniTool Software Ltd. This software can only be used to recover data. It can recover data from PC, SD card, USB drive, lost partition, unallocated space, dynamic disk, etc.
In addition, the free version allows you to recover data up to 1GB for free. You can preview found files first and then decide whether to recover them.
- Supported OS: Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7 and Windows Server 2003/2008/2012/2016/2019 all editions.
- Supported file systems: FAT/FAT32/exFAT, NTFS, and HFS+.
- Price: $99 for 1-year upgrade (1 license for 1 PC), $109 for 1-year upgrade (1 license for 3 PCs), and $159 for lifetime upgrade (1 license for 5 PCs).
MiniTool Partition Wizard is the flagship product of MiniTool Software Ltd. It is embedded with a data recovery feature, which is the same as MiniTool Power Data Recovery, except that it doesn’t use the newest version.
In addition to data recovery, MiniTool Partition Wizard has many other features like OS migration, disk clone, partition recovery, etc. This software has many purchase plans but if you want to get the data recovery feature, you should buy the Pro Deluxe (the $99 version) and higher editions.
1. MiniTool Power Data Recovery and MiniTool Partition Wizard currently don’t support phone data recovery. If you want to recover data from smartphones, you may need to buy MiniTool Mobile Recovery software.
2. The two programs can make bootable media so that you can recover data when a PC won’t boot up.
3. MiniTool and Stellar have joined hands to help Mac users. Mac users can download the genuine Stellar Data Recovery from the MiniTool website.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista.
- Supported file systems: FAT/FAT32/exFAT, NTFS, and EXT2/3/4.
- Price: $19.95 for the PRO version.
Recuva is an undeletion program for Windows, developed by Piriform. If the deleted files are not overwritten, Recuva can recover them from internal and external hard disk drives, USB flash drives, memory cards, portable media players, or all random-access storage mediums with a supported file system.
Recuva has a free version and a pro version. Both of the two versions can recover files without a size limit. The difference between the two versions is that the PRO version has virtual hard drive support, automatic updates, and premium support. Therefore, in most cases, you just need to download the free version of Recuva. This is the advantage of this software.
The disadvantage is that the software has a rough UI and the latest update was released 5 years ago. So, finding files you want to recover may be a tough job. In addition, it may don’t support Windows 11 and don’t support recovering some file types.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Windows Server 2016/2012/2008/2003, and macOS X 10.9 to 10.15.
- Supported file systems: FAT/FAT32/exFAT, NTFS, RAW, HFS+, APFS, ReFS, HFSX, EXT2/3/4, JFS, and RAID.
- Price: Essential ($59.99, $69.99, $119.99), Standard ($69.99, $79.99, $139.99), and Advanced ($79.99, $89.99, $159.99). Recoverit offers 3 paid versions and each version offers month subscription (1PC), 1-year subscription (1PC), and lifetime upgrade (2PCs) licenses. The price varies depending on the plan you choose.
Wondershare Recoverit is a professional data recovery program that supports 1000+ file formats and common storage devices including PC, hard drive, SD card, USB, camera, etc. You can use it to recover data up to 100MB for free.
But to break the size limit and get advanced features, you need to get paid versions. Which paid version should you get? You need to know the difference between them.
- The Essential version can recover data without the size limit.
- The Standard version contains everything in the Essential version and offers a bootable media feature.
- The Advanced version contains everything in the Standard version and supports an advanced video recovery feature and a corrupt video repair feature.
Is Wondershare Recoverit Data Recovery safe? Are there any alternatives to Wondershare Recoverit? All these questions are discussed in this post.
4. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
- Supported OS: Windows 11/10/8/7, Windows Server 2019/2016/2012/2008/2003, and macOS X 10.9 to 12.0.
- Supported file systems: FAT/FAT32/exFAT, NTFS, EXT2/3, HFS+, APFS, and ReFS.
- Price: $69.95 for month subscription, $99.95 for annual subscription, and $149.95 for lifetime upgrade.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard can recover lost files, pictures, documents, videos, after deleting, formatting, partition loss, OS crash, virus attack, and other data loss scenarios. It supports more than 1000 file types.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free version allows you to recover data up to 2GB for free. But to remove the recovery restriction, you need to get the pro version. The monthly subscription just removes the recovery restriction. To get the bootable media feature, you need to buy the annual subscription or the lifetime upgrade version.
There are lots of alternatives to EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard on the market; some of them are free, while others will be charged.
5. TestDisk & PhotoRec
- Supported OS: DOS (either real or in a Windows 9x DOS-box), Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP, Windows Server 2016/2012/2008/2003, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, SunOS, and macOS X.
- Supported file systems: FAT/FAT32/exFAT, NTFS, EXT2/3/4, HFS+, etc.
- Price: Totally free.
TestDisk & PhotoRec is an open-source program composed of two tools: TestDisk and PhotoRec. This program is installation-free. You just open its folder and then find the TestDisk or the PhotoRec app to run. Please note TestDisk doesn’t offer a GUI while PhoteRec offers one.
TestDisk detects numerous file systems including NTFS, FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, exFAT, ext2, ext3, ext4, btrfs, BeFS, CramFS, HFS, JFS, Linux Raid, Linux Swap, LVM, LVM2, NSS, ReiserFS, UFS, and XFS.
It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software: certain types of viruses or human errors (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). In addition, it can also undelete files from FAT, NTFS, exFAT, and ext2 file systems.
PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents, and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures from digital camera memory. It only supports FAT, exFAT, NTFS, EXT2/3/4, and HFS+ file systems, but it can handle more than 440 file formats including JPG, MSOffice, and OpenOffice documents.
This post introduces Disk Drill and lists 5 best data recovery programs as Disk Drill alternatives. You can try them if the Disk Drill fails to recover data.
Is this post helpful to you? Do you have other ideas about Disk Drill? Do you know other powerful and easy-to-use data recovery programs? Please leave your opinions in the following comment zone for sharing.
In addition, if you encounter any problem when using MiniTool Partition Wizard or MiniTool Power Data Recovery, please feel free to contact us via [email protected]. We will get back to you as soon as possible.