One of the Windows update or install errors on Windows 11 is 0x800f081f. The error impacts all the available updates and only displays the “Install error” text. This post from MiniTool provides solutions to the Windows 11 update error 0x800f081f.
Microsoft regularly releases Windows updates to introduce new features and fix known issues. While most updates install without problems, some may cause errors during installation. Windows 11 update error 0x800f081f is a common system error that first appeared when Windows 11 users were unable to install the Windows 11 (KB5016632) 2022-08 cumulative update.
Here are some reasons that may cause the update error 0x800f081f on Windows 11.
- Use internal build
- .NET Framework compatibility issues
- Corrupt or missing registry keys
- Corrupted system files
- Operating system updates are installed incorrectly
- The user profile is damaged
When you try to install Windows 11 update, you may receive the install error code 0x80070103. This post tells you how to fix the install error 0x80070103.
Back up Important Data in Advance
Manually troubleshooting Windows 11 installation error – 0x800f081f can be complex and risks data loss if not done carefully. Therefore, we strongly recommend you back up your data, including the operating system to avoid losing important data before fixing Windows 11 update error 0x800f081f.
Now, here is a piece of free backup software for you – MiniTool ShadowMaker.
MiniTool ShadowMaker provides a one-click system backup solution. It supports backing up your system drive completely, including system partition, system reserved partition, and EFI system partition. You can image all of your data including computer settings, applications, drivers, system files, and boot files. It also supports cloning HDD to SSD.
1. Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker Trial Edition in Windows 11.
2. Go to the Backup interface, and you can see system partitions are selected as the backup source. If you need to back up files, click SOURCE > Folders and Files to select items you want to back up.
3. You only need to click DESTINATION to choose a path to save the system image file. It’s highly recommended to choose an external hard drive as the destination.
4. Click Back Up Now to execute the backup task at once or click Back Up Later to delay the backup task.
After that, you are advised to click Tools > Media Builder to create a bootable medium with a USB hard drive, USB flash drive, or CD/DVD disc.
How to Fix Windows 11 Update Error 0x800f081f
Solution 1: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter is a practical built-in tool that enables you to detect and fix errors related to corrupted updates or other Windows update issues. So, to fix the Windows 11 update error 0x800f081f, you can try running the troubleshooter. Here’s a tutorial.
1. Press the Windows + I keysto open the Settings window, and then select System from the left vertical menu and click on Troubleshoot from the right menu.
2. Click Other troubleshooters to expand all troubleshooters, and then click Run next to the Windows Update section.
3. Now, this troubleshooter will scan issues associated with the Windows Update components. If any fixes are identified, click on Apply this fix and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the repair.
Solution 2: Make Sure Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Is Enabled
One of the most effective solutions to install error 0x800f081f is to make sure Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 is enabled. This is because the update process may be interrupted by that component. Follow the steps below:
1. Press the Windows and R keys together to open the Run dialog.
2. Type appwiz.cpl in the box and click OK.
3. In the Programs and Features interface, click the Turn Windows features on or off link.
4. Check the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) box. Besides, expand this item and make sure the associated boxes for Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation and Windows Communication Foundation Non-HTTP Activation are also selected.
5. Click OK to save the change.
Solution 3: Restart the Windows Update service
Windows Update service is one of the most required for the Windows update process. Check if this helps you resolve.
1. Press the Windows and R keys at the same time to open the Run dialogue box.
2. Type services.msc and click OK to open the Services application.
3.From the list of applications, right-click Windows Update to select Restart.
Then update your Windows again and check to see if the install error 0x800f081f issue has gone. If not, try the next solution.
Solution 4: Run an SFC or DISM Scan
Another common cause of error code 0x800f081f is related to your system files. To scan and repair your system files, you can try running an SFC (System File Checker) or DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) scan. Here is how to do that:
1. Type cmd in the search box on the taskbar, and then right-click the Command Prompt app and select Run as administrator.
2. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter. This process may take you much time to scan, please wait patiently.
3. If the SFC scan doesn’t work, you can try running the command below in the elevated Command Prompt window.
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Once done, reboot your PC and check if the Windows 11 update error 0x800f081f gets fixed.
Solution 5: Install the Pending Updates Manually
Another way to fix the Windows 11 update error 0x800f081f would be to download it from the Microsoft Update Catalog and then install it manually. Follow the guide below:
1. Open Settings again and click Windows Update.
2. Go to the Update history. Check if there are failed update numbers.
3. Copy the failed update number. Go to Microsoft Update Catalog and search for the update number.
4. Download it on your PC. Then double click to launch the installer and then update it.
Solution 6: Reset Windows Update Components
At times, it is useful to fix install error 0x800f081f by resetting Windows Update components. Follow the instructions below to do so:
1. Type cmd in the Search box and choose Run as administrator.
2. Then, type the following commands in turn and press Enter after each one to execute the operations:
- net stop bits
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop appidsvc
- net stop cryptsvc
- Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Network\\Downloader\\*.*”
- rmdir %systemroot%\\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
- rmdir %systemroot%\\system32\\catroot2 /S /Q
- regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll
- regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
- netsh winsock reset
- netsh winsock reset proxy
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- net start appidsvc
- net start cryptsvc
Solution 7: Remove WUServer and WIStatusServer
Certain registry keys can sometimes interfere with the installation of updates and cause the 0x800f081f error code. You can easily fix the issue by removing WUServer and WIStatusServer on Registry Editor. Before performing any operations, you had better back up the registry items in advance.
1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialogue box. Then, type regedit and press Enter.
2. Go to the following path:
3. Locate WUServer and WIStatusServer. Right-click them and delete them one by one.
4. Restart your computer.
Solution 8: Change Group Policy Settings
The Windows update error 0x800f081f will likely appear if optional update installation is disabled on your computer. You can use the Local Group Policy Editor, but it isn’t available on the Windows 11 Home edition. The Group Policy Editor is available in Windows 11 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.
1. Press the Windows + R keys to the Run dialog box, type gpedit.msc and click OK to open the Local Group Policy Editor.
2. Go to the following path:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System
3. In the right pane, find and double-click Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair.
4. Click the Enabled option and click Apply to save the changes.
Solution 9: Perform an In-place Upgrade
An in-place upgrade is a provision for Windows 10 or 11 that allows installing the latest version keeping the existential apps and personal data safe. So when getting the Windows 11 update error 0x800f081f, you should choose this method.
1. Go to the Windows 11 Download page.
2. Under the Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO) part, click the drop-down menu to choose Windows 11 (multi-edition ISO) and click Download.
3. Then, you need to choose a language by clicking the drop-down menu. After choosing it, click the Download button.
4. Next, click the 64-bit Download button to start the downloading process.
5. When the file has been downloaded, right-click it and select Mount from the context menu.
6. Choose the mounted drive and then double-click the Setup file option to begin the installation.
7. Then, click the Not right now button. Navigate to Next > Accept. During the process, select all the items you want to keep.
8. Finally, click the Install button and wait for the process to complete.
Solution 10: Reset Windows 11
Resetting Windows 11 is the last resort you should employ if none of the above-mentioned methods work. Before resetting Windows 11, it’s recommended to back up files that you think are important.
1. Press the Windows + I keys to open Settings.
2. Navigate to the Update & Security section.
3. Go to the System section fromthe left panel, and then select Recovery > Reset this PC from the right panel.
4. In the Choose an option screen, select the way that you want to reset Windows 11 and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the operation.
- The Keep my files option will only remove apps and settings, but keep your personal files.
- The Remove everything option will remove all of your personal files and settings.
5. If you want to download a fresh copy of Windows, you can select Cloud download. Or, you can select Local reinstall which will perform a Windows 11 factory reset locally.
6. At last, click on Reset at the Ready to reset this PC screen. This resetting process will take you some time to complete. Please wait patiently.
You can choose cloud download or local reinstall when resetting Windows 10/11. This post provides details about cloud download vs local reinstall.
Are you bothered by the Windows 11 update error 0x800f081f? If you run into the error code during the update process, try the solutions above to easily get rid of that trouble.
It is recommended to back up your important data with Minitool ShadowMaker Free to better safeguard your computer. Thus, if you have any problem with MiniTool ShadowMaker, please feel free to contact us via [email protected] and we will reply to you as soon as possible.