Google Meet is a popular app. It makes people around the world attending the same meeting together possible and convenient. However, the camera, an important component in video meeting, could fail sometimes due to different reasons. Many people said their Google Meet camera not working and they want to know the solutions to fix the problem.
What is Google Meet? To be specific, Google Meet is an online video-communication service provided by Google. It allows multiple users to participate in the same meeting or conference online (up to 250 participants) by using the app. Google Meet is especially useful for large companies where employees do not work in the same place.
Google Meet Camera Not Working or Failed
One of the most common problems people talk about the Google Meet app is Google Meet camera not working. A large number of users said they received the camera failed error and want to solve the problem with Google desperately. That’s why we write this article focusing on how to fix Google issues on Windows platform.
Data recovery software for Windows:
4 Fixes for Google Meet Camera Failed
One: Allow Camera Access
Google Meet needs permission to use your camera (and microphone) in browsers like Google Chrome. So you need to allow the camera access before using Meet. A prompt will show up to ask your permission the first time you join a Meet video call. If you denied the request, you’ll encounter camera failed Google Meet. Here’s how to allow the access manually:
- Open Chrome on your computer.
- Click on the three-dot button in the upper right corner.
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Choose Privacy and security from the left sidebar.
- Click Site Settings under Privacy and security in the right pane.
- Scroll down to locate the Permissions section.
- Click Camera under it.
- Add https://meet.google.com to the Allow list, instead of Block.
- You can enable or disable the Ask before accessing feature.
Also, you need to allow camera access on the computer:
- Press the Windows button on your keyboard.
- Click on the Settings icon (looks like a gear).
- Select Privacy from the Settings window.
- Scroll down in the left pane to choose Camera.
- Go to the Allow access to the camera on this device section in the right pane.
- Click on the Change button below.
- Turn Camera access for this device to On.
- Toggle the switch under Allow apps to access your camera to On.
Besides, you should allow camera in Google Meet settings.
- Open a browser and visit the Google Meet official website.
- Click on the lock icon in front of the site name on the top address bar.
- Select Allow for Camera in the pop-up menu.
Two: Enable Camera in Google Meet
You may disable the camera in Google Meet by mistakenly clicking on it. Please take a look at the camera icon to figure out whether it is disabled. If yes, please click on it to enable camera and then create a meeting.
Besides, you should try to change the default camera on Google Meet.
Three: Troubleshoot Camera
- Press Windows + S.
- Type cmd.
- Right click on Command Prompt.
- Choose Run as administrator.
- Click Yes if you see the User Account Control window.
- Type msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic and press Enter.
- Click Next in the Hardware and Devices window.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish rest steps.
Four: Update Camera Driver
- Right click on the Start button.
- Select Device Manager.
- Locate and expand Sound, video, and game controllers.
- Right click on your camera.
- Select Update driver and follow the on-screen prompts to continue.
What else to do when you find your camera not working on Google Meet?
- Restart/reset your browser.
- Check anti-virus program to disable webcam protection.
- Re-register the camera on computer via Windows PowerShell.