Although you can open a browser quickly by clicking on the program icon, it’s better to set the web browser you often use as the default one. Please follow the guide below to change default browser in Windows 7 and other Windows systems.
There is a lot of MiniTool software provided for you to backup system, recovery data, solve disk problems, and do other things.
When you need to search something online, you can open a browser and type keywords into the search box or go to a specific website directly by typing the URL into the address bar. Though this is a very easy task even for inexperienced users, you’d better go to change default browser Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10.
What’s the benefit of setting your preferred web browser as the default one? The most obvious advantage is that the specific browser will be opened automatically when you click links on the internet, in the email or document. After all, some users said it’s a bad experience to see the wrong browser loading after clicking a link.
Change Default Browser Windows 7
In Windows 7 and 8.1, the default browser is Internet Explorer. If you would like to search the internet by using another browser like Google Chrome, you need to change the default browser manually.
How to Change Your Default Browser
Please follow this guide to set default browser easily in Windows 7.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click on the Programs link.
- Select Default Programs.
- Click on the Set your default programs link.
- Browse the programs in the left pane and select the browser you want to set as default.
- Click Set this program as default and then click OK.
- Click Choose defaults for this program -> select the file types you want to open -> click Save. (This is optional.)
Two commonly used ways to open the Control Panel in Windows 7.
- Use Start Menu: click Start in the lower left corner -> choose Control Panel from the list.
- Use Run: press Windows + R to open Run -> type control into the dialog box -> click on the OK button or press Enter.
Microsoft has already announced the end of Windows 7 support. Do you think this move will really affect you?
Change Default Browser Windows 8.1
Also, you can follow the steps mentioned in the previous part to change default browser in Windows 8.1.
Open Control Panel -> click Programs -> click Default Programs -> click Set your default programs -> select the target browser -> click Set this program as default.
Besides, you can set default browser by following steps:
- Click on the Settings icon to open Charms bar.
- Click Change PC settings at the bottom.
- Select Search and apps.
- Select Defaults.
- Click on the current default browser and change it to the browser you want to use.
Change Default Browser Windows 10
Microsoft replaced the old Internet Explorer with the new Edge in Windows 10. You are also allowed to set default browser Windows 10.
How to Change Default Browser Windows 10
Windows 10 change default browser steps:
- Open Windows 10 Settings by pressing Windows + I or other ways.
- Select Apps (Uninstall, defaults, optional features).
- Select Default apps in the left sidebar.
- Look for Web browser under Choose default apps in the right pane.
- Click on the current default browser and choose an app (another browser) you want to set as default.
There’s another method for changing default browser in Windows 7/8.1/10 (take Google Chrome as an example).
- Open Google Chrome on your computer.
- Click on the three dots icon in the top right corner.
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Look for the Default browser section in the Chrome settings pane.
- Click on the Make default button.