The VM VirtualBox is a free and open-source hosted hypervisor for x86 virtualization. The VirtualBox can be installed on your computer running Windows, macOS, or Linux. After that, you can try out any systems and applications on VirtualBox, without affecting your real system and data. For instance, you may install Windows 11 on VirtualBox.
Can You Install Windows 11 on VirtualBox
When you can’t or don’t want to install Windows 11 Insider Preview build on your computer, you have another choice: try the new system in a virtual machine. You can install Windows 11 on VirtualBox or VMware Workstation if you’d like to experience its new interface, features and major changes, but don’ want to give up the current stable and secure Windows 10 system.
You'd better get to know the differences between VMware and VirtualBox in order to figure out which one is better for you - VMware or VirtualBox.
What Is VirtualBox
Developed by Oracle Corporation, VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for home and business use. VirtualBox is also known as a virtual machine or emulator that can be installed on a Windows, Linux, Macintosh, or Solaris host; and it allows users to install a large number of guest operating systems without affecting the host system.
How to Install Windows 11 on VirtualBox
You should be aware of the fact that you’ll need the latest Oracle VirtualBox, the ISO file of Windows 11, and enough hardware resources on the physical computer to install Windows 11 in a virtual machine.
You may want to know how to install Windows 11 on VMware or other emulators in order to try out the new operating system.
Step 1: Download and Install VirtualBox
How to download VirtualBox:
- Visit the download page of Oracle VM VirtualBox.
- Click on the correct download link for your system.
- Wait for the process to end.
How to install VirtualBox:
- Navigate to the Oracle VM VirtualBox Setup file.
- Double click on it and click Next.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to continue and click Next.
- Click Install, wait, and then click Finish.
You’d better also install the Oracle VM Virtualbox Extension Pack on your PC.
This post will tell you how to download and install Windows 11 on Arm with ISO, as well as some related information about Windows Arm-based PCs.
Step 2: Create a Windows 11 Virtual Machine
- Double click on the Virtualbox.exe to run the VirtualBox.
- Click on the New button in the right menu bar.
- Specify the Name (type Windows 11), Machine folder, Type (choose Microsoft Windows), and Version (select Windows 10 64-bit).
- Click Next.
- Drag the slider to set memory to 4096 MB.
- Click Next.
- Select Create a virtual hard disk now and click Create.
- Select VDI (Virtual Disk Image) and click Next.
- Select Dynamically allocated and click Next.
- Specify the File location and size (at least 64GB) and click Create.
Step 3: Download Windows 11 ISO
You can search for Windows 11 ISO and download it online since this file is already leaked. You should check your internet connection -> choose a folder to store the ISO file -> wait patiently while the file is downloading.
Get to know more details about how to download Windows 11 32/64 bit ISO file & how to install Windows 11:
This post mainly talks about the Windows 11 ISO file download (32 bit or 64 bit) and how to install Windows 11 properly on your PC.
Step 4: Configure the Windows 11 Virtual Machine
- Select the Windows 11 virtual machine.
- Click on the Settings button (next to New).
- Select System, shift to Motherboard tab, and uncheck Floppy.
- Shift to the Processor tab to increase the processors.
- Select Display, shift to Screen tab, and increase the video memory (128MB).
- Select Storage, choose Empty, and click on the disc icon after Optical Drive.
- Click Choose/Create a Virtual Optical Disk.
- Click Add, choose the Windows 11 ISO file, and click Open.
- Click Choose.
Some users are wondering whether they can try Windows 11 online now, since the official release of Windows 11 is not out yet.
Step 5: Install Windows 11 in VirtualBox
- Select the Windows 11 virtual machine and click Start.
- Select Language to install and click Next.
- Click Install Now.
- Click I don’t have a product key.
- Select the Windows 11 Edition you want and click Next.
- Check I accept the Microsoft Software License Terms and click Next.
- Select Custom: Install Windows only (advanced).
- Click New -> allocate some disk space -> click Apply.
- Select the new partition and click Next.
- Wait till the end.
That’s all about how to install Windows 11 in Oracle VM VirtualBox.