When users try to upgrade to Windows 11 22H2, there is an error message “We couldn't install this update, but you can try again. (0x8007000d)”. How to fix the Windows 11 22H2 update failed - error 0x8007000d? This post from MiniTool provides some solutions.
Installing Windows updates is crucial. Updates include bug fixes, new features, and security patches to protect your system from hackers exploiting vulnerabilities. However, many users are having trouble installing the update.
We have previously written about Windows 11 22H2 updates failing with errors 0X8000ffff, 0xc0000409, 0x80070103, etc. Now, some people are getting the Windows 11 22H2 update failed – error 0x8007000d when trying to update.
In this guide, you will find 7 solutions to help you fix Windows 11 error code 0x8007000d.
Suggestion: Back up Your PC Before Updating Windows 11 22H2
Update errors happen all the time. To protect your operating system and data from unexpected errors, backups are always necessary. How to create a backup for your PC? To do this work, the PC backup software – MiniTool ShadowMaker is a good assistant that is compatible with Windows 11/10/8/8.1/7.
MiniTool ShadowMaker supports backing up the following items:
- System Backup: Create a system image so you can restore your computer to a normal state in the event of a system crash.
- Disk/Partition Backup: Back up data on the entire disk or specified partition/volume.
- File backup: Back up files that are important to you, such as documents, pictures, and videos.
This backup software offers a Trial Edition that allows a 30-day free trial for all backup features. If you want to use it permanently, get its Pro Edition. Now you can download and try MiniTool ShadowMaker to back up your system.
1. After downloading and installing MiniTool ShadowMaker, open it. Then, click Keep Trial to continue.
2. Go to the Backup feature where you will see system partition(s), as well as the destination folder for image storage, are selected by this software.
You can enter the corresponding section to reselect the backup source and storage location. In addition to Windows operating systems, files, disks or partitions can be backed up, it is allowed to back up your PC to an external hard drive, USB flash drive, and NAS.
3. After choosing the backup source and destination, you can make some advanced settings. You can make a scheduled plan for the backup. This tool allows you to back up your computer daily, weekly, monthly, or on event.
Just click the Options > Schedule Settings button before clicking Back Up Now.
4. Finally, go back to the Backup page and click Back Up Now button to execute the backup.
Solution 1: Reinstall the NVIDIA Graphic Driver
Some users reported that after uninstalling the NVIDIA Control Panel and the GeForce Experience drivers, the Windows 11 22h2 update was installed without any issue. To try that:
1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run box.
2. Type control appwiz.cpl and click OK to open Programs and Features.
3. Now, find and uninstall all NVIDIA’s software.
4. Restartthe PC and try to install the Windows 11 22H2 update. If the installation is successful, go to reinstall the latest NVIDIA drivers and software for your graphics card.
Solution 2: Update the Graphic Driver
If you are using other graphic drivers, you have to ensure that you are using the latest version of the graphics driver. To solve Windows 11 22H2 fails to install with error 0x8007000d, you need to update the driver.
1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run box and type devmgmt.msc. Then press Enter to go to Device Manager.
2. Double-click Display adapters to expand it. Then right-click your graphics card driver and choose Update driver.
3. You will be asked how you want to search for drivers in the pop-up window. You should choose Search automatically for updated driver software and then follow the instructions to complete the process.
Solution 3: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter is a Windows 11/10 built-in tool that enables you to detect and fix errors related to corrupted updates or other Windows update issues. So, you can try running the troubleshooter to fix the issue. Here’s a tutorial.
1. Press Windows + I to open the Settings application.
2. Go to System > click Troubleshoot.
3. Click Other troubleshooters to expand all troubleshooters, and then click Run next to the Windows Update section.
4. Now, this troubleshooter will scan issues associated with the Windows Update components. If any fixes are identified, click Apply this fix and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the repair.
Solution 4: Repair Corrupted System Files
The presence of corrupt/damaged system files in Windows may also lead to an error code 0x8007000d. To repair them, you should try the System File Checker. Running this command-line utility program scans the entire PC for outdated files and repairs the same (if exists any).
1. Type cmd in the search box on the taskbar, and then right-click the Command Prompt app and select Run as administrator.
2. Type sfc /scannow command in the elevated command prompt. This process may take you much time to scan, please wait patiently.
3. If the SFC scan doesn’t work, you can try running the command below in the elevated Command Prompt window.
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Once done, reboot your PC and check if the install error 0x8007000d gets fixed.
Solution 5: Rename the CBS Log files
Windows 11 22H2 update failed – error 0x8007000d may occur from time to time due to the CBS.Log file issue. To solve this problem, you should find the CBS.Log file and then rename it. Here are the steps to do this job.
1. Open File Explorer and find the C:\WINDOWS\Logs\CBS directory.
2. Navigate to the CBS.Log file and rename it to another different name.
When you finish the steps above, Windows 11 error code 0x8007000d should be resolved.
Sometimes, you may be unable to rename this file. This issue is caused by your services. To fix this issue, follow the steps below.
1. Press the Windows key + R key combination to open the Run dialog box. Type services.msc and click OK to open the Services window.
2. Navigate to the Windows Modules Installer service and double-click it to open its properties window.
3. Set the Startup type to Manual and click Apply and OK to save changes.
4. Restart your PC. Try to rename the CBS.Log file again. Once you rename the file, remember to change the Startup type of the Windows Modules Installer service to its default value.
Solution 6: Turn off the Antivirus Temporarily
Antivirus software protects our system from malware and viruses, but this software can also be the cause of Windows 11 22H2 failing to install with error 0x8007000d. Thus, you can try to turn off Windows Defender to fix the update error.
1. Press the Windows + I keys together to open the Settings application.
2. Go to Privacy & Security > Security > Windows Security.
3. Click the Open Windows Security button.
4. Select Virus & threat protection and click the Manage settings link under Virus & threat protection settings. Then, you can turn off the Real-time protection option.
If you are using third-party antivirus such as Avast, Bitdefender, Mcafee, Malwarebytes, etc., you can uninstall it via Control Panel. After fixing the “Windows 11 22H2 fails to install with error 0x8007000d” issue, you can reinstall it from its official website.
Are you unable to sign into Microsoft Defender? How to fix the issue? This post provides 4 easy methods for you to fix it.
Solution 7: Delete the SoftwareDistribution Folder
You can also try to delete the SoftwareDistribution folder to fix the “Windows 11 error code 0x8007000d” issue. To do that, you can follow the steps.
1. Type Command Prompt in the Search menu. Then right-click it to choose Run as administrator:
2. Run the following commands one by one and press Enter:
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
3. Now go to the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and delete all the files & folders inside by pressing the Ctrl+A keys to select all and then right-clicking to choose Delete.
4. After emptying this folder, you can either restart your computer or type the following commands one by one in Command Prompt and press Enter to restart Windows Update-related services:
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
Solution 8: Repair Install Windows
If the above methods are not working, you can upgrade to Windows 11 22H2 via ISO file or Installation Assistant to remove the error 0x8007000d. We will introduce the detailed steps of them one by one.
Via ISO File
1. Go to the Windows 11 Download page.
2. Under the Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO) part, click the drop-down menu to choose Windows 11 (multi-edition ISO) and click Download.
3. Then, you need to choose a language by clicking the drop-down menu. After choosing it, click the Download button.
4. Next, click the 64-bit Download button to start the downloading process.
5. When the file has been downloaded, right-click it and select Mount from the context menu.
6. Choose the mounted drive and then double-click the Setup file option to begin the installation.
7. Then, click the Not right now button. Navigate to Next > Accept. During the process, select all the items you want to keep.
8. Finally, click the Install button and wait for the process to complete.
Via Installation Assistant
This method will allow the update to be installed without any issues. It is also possible to install the 22H2 update using the Windows 11 Installation Assistant instead of using ISO files.
1. Go to the Windows 11 Download page.
2. Click the Download Now button in the Windows 11 Installation Assistant section.
3. Once the Windows11InstallationAssistant.exe file is downloaded, double-click the exe file to run it.
4. Click the Accept and install button to begin the installation process of the update.
In conclusion, this post has introduced several useful methods to fix the Windows 11 22H2 update failed – error 0x8007000d. If the error code occurs, try these methods.
It is recommended to create a system image with professional backup software to better safeguard your computer. Thus, if you have any problem with MiniTool ShadowMaker, please feel free to contact us via email at [email protected] and we will reply to you as soon as possible.