This essay provided by MiniTool company mainly talks about the Discord high CPU usage problem and offers some methods to solve the issue. Read the below content to get your problem down, or share these ways with your friends.
About Discord High CPU Usage
High CPU usage Discord refers to Discord takes a lot of computer resources, especially the processing power of the CPU. This is a usual problem when using Discord on PC.
Why there is Discord high CPU usage? It is because Discord is a VoIP (voice over Internet protocol), instant messaging, and digital distribution platform. So, when Discord is working, it requires more hardware resources including the power of the central processing unit (CPU).
You can view the CPU usage of all processes in the Processes tab of Task Manager.
How to Solve Discord High CPU Usage?
Though high CPU usage will not cause long-lasting damage to the CPU itself or the computer, it will result in CPU overheating and other processes slowing down. Therefore, you can’t let your processor working at high usage for a long time.
How to Fix the High CPU Usage of Discord?
- Increase Number of Processors
- Enable/Disable Discord Hardware Acceleration
- Restart Discord
- Reinstall Discord
#1 Increase the Number of Cores Your Computer Uses
CPU high usage means that most of the working CPU power has been put into use. Yet, there may be extra CPU power that is available. That is, your CPU has many cores but only some of the cores are allowed to be used; the rest of the cores is idle even your CPU is of high usage.
Therefore, putting more or all CPU cores into use will reduce the load of the working ones. Below is the guide.
- Press “Windows + R” on the keyboard to open the Run box.
- Type “msconfig” in the Run dialog and click OK or Press Enter to launch the System Configuration window.
- Move to the Boot tab in System Configuration.
- Click the Advanced Options button.
- In the pop-up BOOT Advanced Options window, check the Number of processors option and increase the number to which you like. If you keep the default setting (uncheck) in Windows 10/11, your computer will continue to make use of all CPU cores.
- Click OK to save the change and exit the program.
Now, you have more CPU cores to run your computer processes. At the same condition, Discord will take less CPU usage than before.
#2 Enable or Disable Discord Hardware Acceleration
Usually, turning on hardware acceleration for Discord will help with the Discord high CPU usage problem. The steps are below.
- Go to Discord Settings.
- Move to the Appearance tab.
- Scroll down to find the Hardware Acceleration option and tog it on.
However, some users experience high CPU usage while the hardware acceleration is on and they fix the issue on the contrary by togging it off. So, no matter whether your Discord hardware acceleration is on or off, just change its status to deal with your problem.
Sometimes your CPU is running at 100% and the speed of your computer becomes slow. This post will provide 8 solutions for you to fix this issue.
#3 Restart or Fresh Installation of Discord App
The longer you continue to use a program, the higher CPU usage it will be. Thus, to solve Discord high CPU usage problem, you can restart Discord to continue to use it.
There is also a chance that your current version of Discord is tending to take much of processor resources. So, just change your application version to the newest one or the previous one may handle the issue.
You May Also Like:
- Can New Discord Members See Old Messages? Yes or No?
- How Long Does It Take for a Discord Account to Delete or Disable?
- How to Change Age on Discord & Can You Do It Without Verification
- [7 Ways] Fix “Failed to Connect Spotify to Discord” PC/Phone/Web
- Discord Twitter Webhook by Zapier, IFTTT & Twitter Discord Bots