A lot of people complain that they encounter the error 0xC1900101 0x30017 when they try installing system updates or upgrading to the latest Windows versions. When this error occurs, an error message usually shows up on the blue screen:
“We couldn’t install Windows 10, 0xC1900101 – 0x30017. The installation failed in the FIRST BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation“.
Are you also encountering the same error? If so, you can continue reading. This post will show in detail what may cause the error and how to fix it.
What Causes the 0xC1900101 – 0x30017 Error?
As a result of investigating extensive user reports and references, there can be a number of reasons behind this issue, such as insufficient space, corruption in the system, etc. Here are some of the most common reasons:
- Insufficient space: To upgrade to a newer Windows version (like Windows 1903), you need to have at least 32 GB of free storage space on your computer.
- Antivirus interruption: The third-party antivirus may block Windows from updating as it is false positive and blocks it as a virus or malware program.
- Corrupt system files: Corrupted system files on a computer can cause Windows update failure easily.
- Outdated drivers: If any of the drivers on Windows are outdated, the Windows update can easily fail to install.
- Outdated BIOS: Outdated BIOS can affect the system’s functions and result in a Windows update error.
- Conflicted peripheral devices: Some of the peripheral devices that you connected to your PC conflict with the Windows OS or other programs.
- Disk errors: The errors on the system disk can also cause Windows system errors and prevent Windows from updating.
How to Fix the Error 0xC1900101 0x30017?
How to fix the error 0xC1900101 0x30017? Don’t worry. This post provides 12 helpful solutions to fix the error 0xC190010 0x30017.
Method 1. Remove Unnecessary Peripheral Devices
Sometimes, peripheral devices may conflict with the Windows OS or other programs and result in errors like the error 0xC1900101 – 0x30017. To check if the error is caused by this reason, you can try removing all the unnecessary peripheral devices and then check if the error has been resolved.
Method 2. Free Up Storage Space
Before updating Windows, it is essential to ensure that there is sufficient storage space available on your disk, particularly on the system partition. If there is insufficient free space, the update process may not complete correctly, and you may encounter a range of update errors, including the Windows 10 1903 0xC1900101 – 0x30017 error.
If you’re facing storage space issues, one solution is to delete unnecessary programs and files. Alternatively, you can use a tool to extend the system partition. MiniTool Partition Wizard is a reliable and professional partition manager that can help you delete unwanted files and extend partitions with ease.
Here’s how to use MiniTool Partition Wizard’s Space Analyzer and Extend Partition features:
#1. Space Analyzer
MiniTool Partition Wizard comes with a useful feature called Space Analyzer that allows you to scan your hard drive and get a detailed view of its space usage. With Space Analyzer, you can easily perform disk cleanup by following these simple steps:
- Download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard on your PC.
- Launch into its main interface and click the Space Analyzer from the top toolbar.
- Select the target hard drive, then click the Scan button.
- Wait for the scanning process to be completed.
- After scanning, right-click the unwanted file and select Delete (Permanently) from the menu.
#2. Extend Partition
The MiniTool Partition Wizard’s “Extend Partition” feature allows you to increase the size of a partition by taking free space from other existing partitions or unallocated space on the same disk. To use that, you can do as follows:
- Download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard on your PC.
- Launch into its main interface.
- Select the partition that you want to extend, and then select Extend Partition from the left action panel.
- Open the drop-down list of Take Free Space from and choose a partition or unallocated space to take free space.
- Then, drag the blue small square to decide how much space to take.
- After that, click OK to continue.
- Click the Apply and Yes buttons to apply the changes.
Method 3. Uninstall Your Antivirus
If you have installed third-party antivirus on your PC and encounter the installation failed 0xC1900101 – 0x30017 error, you can suspect the Windows update failure is caused by third-party antivirus. So, you can try uninstalling the antivirus to fix this error. If it doesn’t work, try other solutions.
Method 4. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
You can also try running the Windows update troubleshooter to fix the error 0xC1900101 – 0x30017 as it is a useful built-in tool in Windows that can fix many Windows update-related errors. Here’s the way:
- Press the Windows and I keys simultaneously to open the Settings window.
- Navigate to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Click the Additional troubleshooters link.
- Select Windows Update, and then click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
Method 5. Update all the Drivers
Corrupted or outdated drivers may prevent the computer from running normally, including when upgrading Windows to a newer version. If you haven’t updated your drivers for a long time, you can check to see if your drivers are outdated and then fix this error. Here are the detailed steps:
- Press the Windows and X keys simultaneously to open the Quick Link menu.
- Select Device Manager from the menu.
- Expand all the categories one by one, and then right-click the driver and select Update driver.
- In the pop-up window, click “Search automatically for drivers”.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Method 6. Run SFC and DISM
Corrupted system files are also one of the culprits behind the error Windows 0xC1900101 0x30017. If you suspect that there are some corrupted system files on your PC, you can try running SFC and DISM to help you fix this error. Here’s the tutorial:
- Open the Search window, and then type “command prompt” in the search box.
- Click Run as administrator under the Command Prompt app.
- Type “sfc /scannow” and press the Enter key.
- Once done, restart your computer to check if the error is fixed. If not, proceed by initiating a DISM scan.
- Run the Command Prompt as administrator on your computer again.
- Then type “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth” and press the Enter key.
- Type “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Checkhealth” and press the Enter key.
- Type “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” and press Enter.
- Once done, close the Command Prompt window, and then restart your computer to check if the error 0xc1900101 0x30017 is fixed.
Method 7. Run a Disk Check
If there is anything wrong with your disk, you can also encounter the error Windows 0xC1900101 0x30017. In this case, you can run a disk check to fix it. To do that, you can also use MiniTool Partition Wizard. It provides two features to help check and fix the disk errors. They are: Check File System and Surface Test.
Here’s how to use MiniTool Partition Wizard’s Check File System feature:
- Download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard on your computer.
- Launch it to its main interface.
- Select the system drive and then click Check File System from the left pane.
- In the Check File System window, select Check & fix detected errors.
- Next, click the Start menu.
Here’s how to use MiniTool Partition Wizard’s Surface Test feature:
- Launch MiniTool Partition Wizard to its main interface.
- Choose the system drive, and then select Surface Test from the left pane.
- In the Surface Test window, click the Start Now button.
- After scanning, the partition blocks will be color-coded green for no errors and red for errors.
Method 8. Disable the Secure Boot
Some people report that disabling the Secure Boot helped them fix the error 0xC1900101 0x30017 successfully. You can also have a try. Here’s the guide:
- Open the Settings window, and then navigate to Update & Security > Recovery.
- Click Restart now under the Advanced startup section.
- In the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot.
- Next, select Advanced options, and then select UEFI Firmware Settings.
- Then click the Restart button.
- When your computer restarts, choose an appropriate option to enter BIOS.
- In BIOS, go to Security or BOOT options, locate Secure Boot, and select Disabled.
- Click Save & Exit to confirm the changes.
- Let Windows boot normally and try to install the update. If the update fails again, then re-enable the “Secure Boot” and continue to the next method.
Method 9. Delete the SoftwareDistribution Folder
The Software Distribution folder is a vital component of Windows Update, which temporarily stores files needed to install new updates. It is located in the following location in File Explorer: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.
There are various reasons that can cause this folder damage. If you suspect the SoftwareDistribution on your PC is corrupted and results in the error 0xC1900101 0x30017, you can try deleting this folder to rebuild it and fix this error. Here’s how to do it:
Step 1. Stop Windows Update Service.
- Open the Run window.
- Type “services.msc” in the box and press Enter.
- Click Yes if the UAC window pops up.
- Scroll down to find the Windows Update service.
- Right-click this service and select Stop from the menu.
Step 2. Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder.
- Press the Windows and E to open the File Explore.
- Navigate to the C:\Windows folder.
- Find the SoftwareDistribution folder from the list.
- Right-click it and select Delete.
Step 3. Enable the Windows Update service.
- Open the Service window again.
- Right-click the Windows Update service and select Start.
Step 4. Check and Install Windows 10 Update.
- Open the Settings window.
- Go to Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Click the Check for update button.
Method 10. Delete the Windows.old Folder
Some people report that deleting the Windows.old folder helps them fix the error 0xC1900101 – 0x30017. If you also want to have a try, you can do as follows:
- Open the Search window.
- Type “disk cleanup” and press Enter.
- Select your system drive in the pop-up window, and then click OK.
- Then, click Clean up system files.
- Select your system drive again.
- Check the box for “Previous Windows Installation(s) ”.
- Next, click OK to confirm the deletion.
Method 11. Update BIOS
Outdated BIOS can also cause the Windows update 0xC1900101 – 0x30017 error. So, you can try updating the BIOS on your PC to fix this error. To do that, I recommend you read this post: How to Update BIOS Windows 10 | How to Check BIOS Version.
However, updating the BIOS may sometimes result in data loss. Therefore, you’d better back up the data on your PC before you update your BIOS. To make a backup, you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard’s Copy Disk feature. Here’s the tutorial:
Step 1. Download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard on your PC.
Step 2. Connect the external storage device to the computer, and then launch MiniTool Partition Wizard.
Step 3. Select the Copy Disk Wizard option from the left sidebar.
Step 4. In the pop-up window, click Next. Then, select the disk that you want to copy (Disk 1), and then click Next.
Step 5. Next, select the destination disk (Disk 2) and click the Next button. In the prompt window, click Yes if there’s no important data on it.
Step 6. Select copy options based on your needs and click Next. Click the Finish button on the next window.
Step 7. Click Apply and Yes to execute your changes.
Method 12. Try Some Advanced Ways
If none of the above methods can help you fix the Windows 10 1903 0xC1900101 – 0x30017 error, you don’t need to be upset. Here are some advanced ways you can have a try:
- Update Windows 10 by using the Update Assistant
- Update Windows from the Windows 10 ISO File
- Clean install Windows 10
Why does the installation failed 0xC1900101 – 0x30017 error occur on your PC? How to fix the error 0xC1900101 0x30017 in Windows 11/10? This post has discussed these questions in detail.
If you have any other solutions to this problem, please share them with us in the following comment area. Besides, you can send us an e-mail via [email protected] if you have difficulty using MiniTool Partition Wizard.