What does “Recycle Bin is corrupted” mean? How do you fix a corrupted Recycle Bin in Windows 10/8/7? Get the answers from this post. Here, MiniTool Solution will tell you how to recover deleted files from the corrupted Recycle Bin and how to fix the issue in detail.
Recycle Bin Corrupted Windows 10/8/7
Computer Recycle Bin is a location used to temporarily save the deleted files or folders by Windows and it is located on Desktop. This tool allows users to recover deleted files from it before files are permanently deleted.
However, recently we have received some feedbacks from Windows 10/8/7 users, saying Recycle Bin can't show files deleted when they try to recover the files deleted by accident. Are you still having such an issue?
As a matter of fact, this issue always happens on your computer. When using Recycle Bin, you may receive an error message reading "The Recycle Bin on C:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?".
What does “Recycle Bin is corrupted” mean? When this error happens, the deleted files from File Explorer are not showing up in the Recycle Bin or you may be unable to delete any file or folder, even empty Recycle Bin.
Well then, how can you restore the lost files in case you have accidentally erased some files from your hard drive? Or how to fix/restore corrupted Recycle Bin in Windows 10/8/7? Keep reading and we will walk you through the answers in turn.
Recover Files from Corrupted Recycle Bin before Issue Repair
As mentioned above, you probably fail to directly recover lost files from corrupted Recycle Bin since those files may not show when Recycle Bin corrupted occurs.
To get accidentally deleted files back, it is necessary to turn to a piece of professional data recovery software for help.
MiniTool Power Data Recovery
When reading here, you may ask us: which data recovery tool is suitable for the corrupted Recycle Bin recovery?
If you search for such a tool on the internet, you will find many Windows users recommend using MiniTool Power Data Recovery developed by MiniTool Solution Ltd.
It is reliable and the best file recovery software for Windows 10/8/8.1/7, specialized in recovering lost or deleted files from hard drive, SD card, USB flash drive, memory sticks, CD/DVD, etc. Most importantly, this program can quickly perform data recovery without bringing any damage to the data.
Are you encountering the Recycle Bin Corrupted issue in Windows 10/8/7? Now, download MiniTool Power Data Recovery Trial to check if important files can be found. If yes, upgrade it to Pro Edition to finish the file recovery.
Now, let's view how to use this software for file recovery in case of "the Recycle Bin on C:/ is corrupted" error message.
Step 1: Select Recovery Module
- Double-click MiniTool Power Data Recovery icon to launch this software.
- To recover deleted files from Recycle Bin when receiving "the Recycle Bin on C:/ is corrupted", choose C partition and click Scan to the next step.
MiniTool Power Data Recovery offers you an option to make some advanced settings. Just click the Settings option before a scan, and make this software only scan your needed files by file systems and file types.
For example, if you only want to recover word document, please check the Document file type.
Besides, you can unfold this folder, and check certain files according to the file extension like .doc, .docx, etc. Then, click the OK button to go on.
Step 2: Performing the Scan Operation
- Now, this program is scanning the partition you have selected and it lists the scan result while scanning. You are allowed to choose files to recover during the scan process. But to get the best recovery result, this is not recommended.
- This may take much time if there are many existing, lost or deleted files. Thus, please be patient.
Step 3: Check Items to Restore
- After completing the scan, the scan result can be viewed on the left side. The files saved on Recycle Bin as well as files that are permanently deleted from Recycle Bin can be found.
- To restore the Recycle Bin data, you had better find the Recycle Bin folder and open it to search the files you need.
1. You can enter the Type section to find your needed files by file types. In addition, the Find and Filter options are also helpful to quickly find the files you want.
2. If you are using the Trial Edition and find the files that you need, here get the Pro Edition license and register the software in the scan result window for finishing the recovery operation.
Step 4: Specify a Storage Path
- In the pop-out window, you should choose a directory to save the files you have checked.
- You had better not choose the original file storage location to avoid file overwriting.
- Finally, click the OK button.
How to Fix Corrupted Recycle Bin Windows 10/8/7
By following the above part, you may have recovered deleted files when your Recycle Bin is corrupted. Now, it's the time for you to fix the Recycle Bin corrupted issue. How to restore Recycle Bin in Windows 10/8/7? Read the following paragraphs.
Solution 1: Reset Recycle Bin Using Command Prompt
Actually, each partition on Windows has a hidden and protected system folder - $RECYCLE.BIN. When your Recycle Bin gets corrupted in Windows 10/8/7, you can repair or reset it using Command Prompt.
1. In Windows 7, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories to choose run cmd as administrator from the right-click menu. In Windows 10/8, right-click Start and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Type rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin and press Enter. This can reset the $RECYCLE.BIN folder on the C drive.
1. You should repeat this step for every partition on your hard disk by replacing C with the drive letter.
2. Actually, the Recycle Bin corrupted issue often happens on an external hard drive (e.g.: WD Passport external hard drive). When turning on the computer, a message "The Recycle Bin on G:\ is corrupted" may How to fix corrupted Recycle Bin on an external drive in Windows 10? You can use the command rd /s /q G:\$Recycle.bin to fix it.
3. After the repair, reboot your computer and you can find Windows has created a new $RECYCLE.BIN folder.
In this way, Windows corrupted Recycle Bin is restored.
Solution 2: Use the System File Checker Utility
But at times you may encounter the case - Recycle Bin corrupted Windows 10 access denied or rd /s /q c:\$recycle.bin access denied, see the example:
"I'm trying to reset my recycle bin because it's corrupted in the c drive but when I follow the steps to restart it using the command prompt (even in administrator) it says access denied. "answers.microsoft
In this case, you need to use System File Checker to check and fix this problem. Just open CMD window, type sfc /scannow and press Enter to fix "Recycle Bin is corrupted access denied".
Solution 3: Fix Recycle Bin Corrupted Windows 10/8/7 in Windows Explorer
In addition to CMD, you can restore Recycle Bin in Windows Explorer. As mentioned above, the $RECYCLE.BIN folder is not visible by default. And you can see this folder if you use the Unhide option in the Folder Options tab.
Now, unhide it before fixing the corruption. Follow the guidance below:
1. Enter Control Panel to select Appearance and Personalization.
2. Choose Folder Options (Windows 7/8) or File Explorer Options (Windows 10).
3. Under the View tab, check Show hidden files, folders and drives, uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended). Click the OK button.
4.Go to Windows Explorer, open C drive to find the $BIN folder.
5. Right-click this folder to delete it.
6. Then, restart your computer and see whether Recycle Bin corrupted is fixed.
Solution 4: Reinstall Recycle Bin Windows 10/8/7
Besides, you can fix your Recycle Bin by reinstalling it. To do this, right-click on Desktop to choose Personalize.
- In Windows 8/7, click Change desktop icons.
- In Windows 10, click Themes > Desktop icon settings.
Finally, check Recycle Bin and click the Apply button.
But we suggest that you should recover deleted files from Recycle Bin firstly (as mentioned above) and then fix the issue to avoid overwriting data.
Further Reading: Can't Find or Open Recycle Bin
In the above paragraphs, we have shown you the error "the Recycle Bin on C:/ is corrupted" as well as its solutions. In addition, you may encounter other issues, for example, can't find Recycle Bin and can't open Recycle Bin.
If you find Recycle Bin missing in Windows 10/8/7, you can choose to add the icon on your desktop, as mentioned in the above solution 4. If you fail to open Recycle Bin, just reset it by "rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin" cmd.
No matter which Recycle Bin issue you have, the most important thing is to recover deleted files from Recycle Bin with MiniTool Power Data Recovery at first. After the data recovery, try to fix the issues.
Computer backup is an important thing since data loss always happens unexpectedly due to mistaken operations, system crash, disk failure, etc.
To avoid data loss, you had better use professional backup software - MiniTool ShadowMaker to create a backup to keep your computer safe. Here just get its Trial Edition from the following button for a 30-day free trial.
Get Recycle Bin corrupted error message in Windows 10/8/7? This post has walked you through how to recover files from corrupted Recycle Bin, solutions to fix this problem and the furthering reading: can't find or open Recycle Bin. Now, try to repair your problem according to your actual situation.
Should you have any questions when recovering data with our software or any suggestions to Recycle Bin issues, don't hesitate to inform us by writing a comment in the following area or sending your idea to [email protected].
Recycle Bin Won't Open FAQ
- Right-click the icon of Recycle Bin and choose Empty Recycle Bin.
- Double-click the Recycle Bin’s icon and go to Manage > Empty Recycle Bin.
- Alternatively, open Disk Cleanup, check the Recycle Bin box and delete these files in it.
- Go to File Explorer’s address bar
- Input exe shell:RecycleBinFolder to the Run command to open Recycle Bin
- Open Recycle Bin from the desktop’s icon
- Go to open Recycle Bin from Cortana search
- Reset Recycle Bin using Command Prompt
- Use the System File Checker utility
- Fix Recycle Bin corrupted in Windows Explorer
- Reinstall Recycle Bin