[Review] Windows DVD Maker Definition/Use/Guide/Alternatives [MiniTool Wiki]
What Is Windows DVD Maker?
Windows DVD Maker is a DVD authoring program designed by Microsoft and was included in Windows Vista Home Premium and Ultimate editions. It enables its users to create videos and slideshows for playback on media devices such as DVD players and the Xbox 360 game consoles.
Besides, Microsoft Windows DVD Maker was also embedded in Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, as well as Ultimate editions. Yet, it wasn’t introduced in Windows 8 and later versions of Windows operating systems (OSes).
MS Windows DVD Maker features an Aero Wizard-style user interface (UI). It contains customizable transitions and effects for videos and slideshows that are Direct3D hardware accelerated and require the Windows Display Driver Model.
Windows DVD Maker Supported File Types
- Supported Video formats: ASF, AVI, DVR-MS, M1V, MP2, MP2V, MPE, MPEG, MPG, MPV2, WM, WMV.
- Supported picture formats: BMP, DIB, EMF, GIF, JFIF, JPE, JPEG, JPG, PNG, TIF, TIFF, WMF.
- Supported Audio formats: AIF, AIFC, AIFF, ASF, AU, MP2, MP3, MPA, SND, WAV, WMA.
- Supported DVD types: DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-ROM.
The developers of Windows DVD Maker are able to create new styles, effects, and transitions via a software development kit, which contains utilities for project UI customization. DVD maker for Windows includes many command-line options and also integrates with other programs in Vista like Windows Movie Maker, Windows Media Center, Windows Media Player, as well as Windows Photo Gallery.
About DVD Maker Windows 10
Old Windows DVD Maker isn’t supported on Windows 10. If you would like to create DVD-Video or Blu-ray discs compatible with home-theater components, you can rely on a third-party professional application.
Just click the Start menu and then select Microsoft Store. In Microsoft Store, search for a tool with the function you want.
How to Use Windows DVD Maker?
The following is the instruction for using Windows DVD Maker to burn your videos, movies, slideshows, or photos/pictures into DVDs.
- Connect a blank DVD to your computer and launch Windows DVD Maker app on the machine.
- In its main interface, click the Choose Photos and Videos
- Click the Add items option in the upper left to browse local sources. Select the items you’d like to put to DVD and click the Add You can directly drag and drop target media files to the app. Multiple files are supported.
- Customize your DVD parameters. Click the Options in the lower-left corner and specify DVD parameters including playback settings, aspect ratio, video format, DVD burner speed, temporary file location, etc. there.
- Customize DVD menu. Choose a proper DVD menu style in the right panel. Besides, you can personalize the menu, add menu text, and do other operations.
- You are able to check the created disc with the Preview button in the upper left.
- Finally, click the Burn button in the bottom left and start the creation.
What’s Windows Disc Image Burner? How to use it or other ISO burning apps? How to mount an ISO file & dismount it? How to create bootable media from your OS?
Windows DVD Maker Alternatives for Windows 11/10/8
Since old Windows DVD Maker is available in Windows 8 and its later versions including Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and the newest Windows 11, you have to rely on its replacements to created video discs from digital videos, slideshows, photos, and so on.
Below are some popular free DVD makers for Windows.
- Wondershare DVD Creator
- WinX DVD Author
- Sothink Free DVD Movie Maker
- DVD Flick
- DVD Styler
- Freemake Video Converter
- Free Movie DVD Maker
- VideoWin DVD Maker